Coolant leaking from unknown source... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.floridacarclub.com
Hey guys...I am posting about this because I am completely confused about where all of this damn coolant is leaking from. It's a 75 FJ40 and it started acting up on me yesterday. I noticed the engine temp. steadily rising so I got home asap and saw that I had coolant leaking all over the place. I searched for the leak and can not find anything. I tried searching the forum but I couldn't find anything on this. If anyone can help me out...I'd really appreciate it. It is dripping all over the place. From the chassis, it's leaking from the right side of the hood, and it's even dripping off of the drive-shaft.

Thanks for the help guys...I really am in need of it right now.

-David

hose it off.
fill it back up.
fire it up and start looking.

sounds like it's could be on the right side==lower rad hose to the rad, or where the heater hose ties into the lower rad hose.

could even be the top tank split off the rad core.

I agree. Hose it down and get all the residual off. You don't have to fill it back up with dog killer (antifreze) just fill it with water for now. If your talking about your right side from inside the car, it could be coming from the lower radiator hose or the heater hose that runs on the side of the engine. When they get hot and start leaking, they spray coolant everywhere... When you find where it was leaking and repair it, be sure to drain it back out and refill it with antifreze and water.

therealtalkinggoat said:
I agree. Hose it down and get all the residual off. You don't have to fill it back up with dog killer (antifreze) just fill it with water for now. If your talking about your right side from inside the car, it could be coming from the lower radiator hose or the heater hose that runs on the side of the engine. When they get hot and start leaking, they spray coolant everywhere... When you find where it was leaking and repair it, be sure to drain it back out and refill it with antifreze and water.

Yeah...right side from the drivers perspective. How would you suggest repairing it? Are we simply talking about replacing/cutting down the hose and resealing it?

And don't forget you fan was blowing it all over the place so look for the most forward "wet spot". You'll find it. You've already been given some good leads.
I usually replace all hoses at once. One big PITA, but you're done.....for a while.

Another way is to do a leakdown test without running the engine. JMO

Ed

Cesium 911 said:
Yeah...right side from the drivers perspective. How would you suggest repairing it? Are we simply talking about replacing/cutting down the hose and resealing it?

the correct hoses on these things do not leave enough room to cut them down, besides that would just gain you a few weeks or a month before it leaks agian(ask me how i know....).

replacing is really the best way to go about fixing it........once you find it.

Cesium 911 said:
Hey guys...I am posting about this because I am completely confused about where all of this damn coolant is leaking from. It's a 75 FJ40 and it started acting up on me yesterday. I noticed the engine temp. steadily rising so I got home asap and saw that I had coolant leaking all over the place. I searched for the leak and can not find anything. I tried searching the forum but I couldn't find anything on this. If anyone can help me out...I'd really appreciate it. It is dripping all over the place. From the chassis, it's leaking from the right side of the hood, and it's even dripping off of the drive-shaft.

Thanks for the help guys...I really am in need of it right now.

-David

Just checking the obvious - if you got it very hot, when you turn it off you'll get a lot coming out of the radiator overflow which is where you describe the leak as being - have you checked that?

andrewfarmer said:
Just checking the obvious - if you got it very hot, when you turn it off you'll get a lot coming out of the radiator overflow which is where you describe the leak as being - have you checked that?

I haven't checked there much...but before this was happening, I could take it off-roading in sand dunes and never have a problem at all with cooling. Besides, yesterday wasn't even hot...

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions...

Update...So I just went outside and started it up and ran it for literally 30 seconds up and down my street. The temp. jumped right away past C and staright to H...When I came back home, I open up the hood and saw that it was spraying small amounts of coolant just behind the alternator and the radiator wasn't even hot. I opened up the radiator cap because it wasn't even hot and the pressure stopped...Now, I can pretty much say that it has been narrowed down to the hose just below and behind the alternator. Thanks for the help guys...I'm going to see if I can't find a hose kit so I can replace them.

Also, the space ther looks pretty cramped...do you guys have any easy-fixes on switching out the hoses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom