Coolant Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed a coolant leak that was dripping onto my serpentine belt. I replaced the thermostat housing (Toyota Part 163210F010) as well as the thermostat seal. After around 200 miles my reservoir tank is empty and notice coolant around the thermostat housing and eventually on the serpentine belt. I tightened hose clamps and nuts. Is this a thermostat/ housing issue? I have been using Prestone Green coolant.

you need to get a pressure test kit, it connects a hand help pump to the radiator fill, then you pump to pressurize the coolant system, around 13 lbs. Then just look around, best way to find a leak without the engine running or hot. Good luck

you need to get a pressure test kit, it connects a hand help pump to the radiator fill, then you pump to pressurize the coolant system, around 13 lbs. Then just look around, best way to find a leak without the engine running or hot. Good luck

At OP you can rent a coolant pressure kit at the local auto part store.. buy it and return it within the 90 days or whatever.. I got mine from Autozone. Found out my radiator was leaking.

If not leaking at lower rad hose to inlet cap. It may be your new thermostat O-ring. When replacing the thermostat O-ring. They sometimes (with thermostat) slip out of position. O-ring gets pinched and it leaks.

BTW: Torque is 13ft-lbf on the 3 inlet cap nuts. Some think it's like household plumbing, tighten until leak stops.. WRONG! Do not over torque.

If not leaking at lower rad hose to inlet cap. It may be your new thermostat O-ring. When replacing the thermostat O-ring. They sometimes (with thermostat) slip out of position. O-ring gets pinched and it leaks.

BTW: Torque is 13ft-lbf on the 3 inlet cap nuts. Some think it's like household plumbing, tighten until leak stops.. WRONG! Do not over torque.
OEM hose? I was chasing a leak on my daughter's RAV, turned out to be the PO's O'Reilly hose didn't quite fit up to the Toyota inlet/outlet.
At OP you can rent a coolant pressure kit at the local auto part store.. buy it and return it within the 90 days or whatever.. I got mine from Autozone. Found out my radiator was leaking.
Thanks guys, I pressure tested the system and found the leak at the top of the hose (hose meets thermostat housing inlet). I was able to stop the leak by re-adjusting the hose and clamp but ordered new ones anyway (was bolt clamp and not OEM). Thank you!

Glad you got it fixed or at least found the issue anyway... good this was an easy fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom