Coolant Confusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mitchclem

Threads
I've spent more time than I'd like to admit on various threads regarding which coolant is best to use, and I'm left with more confusion than when I started. I'll be doing my first flush in my 98 LC since my ownership. It's hard to tell exactly what is currently in there, but it looks orangey-red. I think it's safe to say it's not green or some other offensive color, so I'm not super worried about compatibility issues if there are trace amounts remaining after the flush, but I'm still confused on which OEM coolant to go with. I know the red stuff is correct for my year, but that's only due to the fact that the pink stuff wasn't born yet. Am I splitting hairs here? Does it really matter?

IMG_20200928_074552.jpg

Looks pink to me. Seems a little low in the neck....could be wrong on that though. You could use Toyota Pink (pre-mix) or Toyota Red (but, you'd need to mix 50/50 with distilled water preferably)

Toyota Red is how it came out of the factory

Toyota Red is how it came out of the factory
Amidst all my confusion, that is one thing that is very clear. What I'm asking is now that there is an option for the pink stuff that Toyota says will work for models that previously used red, what is the preference, if any.

Same. If Toyota pink was cheaper, I’d use that, but red and a couple jugs of DW keeps some money in my pocket.
Great, just to confirm we are taking about "Long Life" C0009-00119, correct?

EDIT, I'm also seeing a 00272-1LLAC-01. The confusion continues.

Where do you guys find deionized water anyways? Local grocery stores and even pool stores don't carry it here in CFL. I had to go to an aquarium shop. 50 cents a gallon

Where do you guys find deionized water anyways? Local grocery stores and even pool stores don't carry it here in CFL. I had to go to an aquarium shop. 50 cents a gallon
I think the general consensus is that distilled water is the way to go. Deionized water still has some minerals that shouldn't be in the cooling system. Up here in British Columbia we can get distilled for $2.50/gallon at the grocery store.

Yes. Distilled water is the way to go. It can be had in most grocery stores for between $1-2 per gallon.

Just to clarify, I just slipped in my Q about DI water sources. I wasn't trying to insinuate that DI should be used in our cooling systems or not. Sorry about the OT question.

Just to clarify, I just slipped in my Q about DI water sources. I wasn't trying to insinuate that DI should be used in our cooling systems or not. Sorry about the OT question.

Not too many uses for DI water that distilled can't be swapped for, except aquariums, so you're on the right track. Distilling water often uses copper pipes, which can leave copper ions in the water, so saltwater aquarists are very careful not to use as it can be deadly to inverts. Best bet is to buy an RO/DI unit if you need a lot of it. I used to work in aquaculture :) sorry for the thread jack.

I've been using zerex asian vehicle red since flushing my system and replacing the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom