Coolant type/color (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the correct coolant for my 2003 LC? While investigating weeping PS hoses (where are folks getting the 3/8 and 5/8 hoses BTW?) I noticed my coolant bottle is much closer to low than full. I opened the cap and the coolant looks red but wanted to make sure the red was right. What's the PN or a good equivalent 50/50 premix? Slowly getting this thing baselined, probably should have done that before all the fun stuff but oh well. Will be re-booting CVs and replacing outer tie rod ends and lower ball joints in the next few days as well.

I didn't have any manuals until about 10 minutes ago... Looks like I need the Long Life red coolant.

You changed your heater tees yet? Mine weaped (fluid loss) before they let go...

According to the service history they have been changed. The tees are still shiny and black and the hoses look good but that's a good thought on where I might be slowly loosing some coolant. I'll put it on the list...

For the 03, Toyota recommends: Toyota Long Life (LL (Red)), mixed 50/50 with distilled water. You can switch to Supper Long Life (SLL (pink)) premix, which began in 2004-up. But because it's not possible to drain 100% of old coolant from system. It's best to stick with the more restrictive flush schedule of LL, if switching to SLL. Which is, the earlier of: 30K miles or 2 year for LL (Red). SLL (Pink), is 50K miles or 5 yr. I find system with red, do better (less electrolysis). IDK, if because shorter flush schedule or chemical make-up of coolant. Personally, I stick with what Toyota recommends; 98-03 Red, 04-up Pink.

Keep in mind. Coolant expands and contracts with temperature. Even when engine cold (parked 8 hours, over night), level (expansion) is affected by OAT (outside air temp). Best, is to check level under radiator cap before sun-up. If it's -10F level in reservoir will low, but radiator should be full (to the top). If OAT 100F, level in reservoir should be at max line. Anytime coolant low under radiator cap, top and repeat next cool down.

Nice factor of Toyota "Red" or "pink". Leaves a crust red or pink trial, at leaks.

PS (Power Steering), is off topic. But I touch on it, also provide a link. 03-up, Toyota sell us both the suction and return hose. They are best. If set on using non OEM. Transmission cooler hose is best, since we use ATF in PS.

You may like this also:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info 2001LC! I'm probably due for a flush based on time according to my service history. I'm still getting my bearings on this vehicle. I love it, but getting everything caught up and backon schedule seems never ending!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom