Convince me to keep her! (first post) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

d'oh said:
Also, there's an aftermarket air filter on there, I think K&N but there's no identification. What are the benefits of a permanent oil filter you have to clean over the regular kind you just replace periodically?

Thanks again.

K&N filter offers increased airflow over paper filter. In theory more power and/or better MPG. Results vary.

Air Filters

You'll find it's about a 50/50 split on those who are "paper" filter people and those who are "K&N Style" filter people.

"K&N Style" filter people mostly like it because you never have to replace it, and theoretically it lets more air flow. So...that leads to what the paper people say - which is, "they let more particulates through" and why not just replace the regular filter regularly.

I think there's a thread somewhere on this board that goes through lots of pictures of different styles of filters showing the particulate penetration, how much paper/gauze is stuffed in the filter, etc...it's actually a good eye opener and nice technical explanation of air filtration.

FWIW - I run a K&N, clean it every other oil change (or less often) and did not notice much, if any improvement...maybe +1mpg, but that could be driving style. Cleaning is no big deal at all...

HTH

I don't know if I can really add anything new here, but I just got my 86 in April and love it. They just don't make vehicles like this any more. The rear windows roll all the way down, we take it to the drive in and put the seats down and it's perfect.

My wife actually loves it and drives it around everywhere. I plan to keep it up, improve it where I can and give it to my 1 year old when he gets his DL. It will really be a classic then...

at least you dont have to lift it. seriously that s***s spendy. still scraping money for mine whilst adressing lots of maintenance issues. i wouldnt think of ever selling my 60

Everything I've read says put an Aisin (stock) carb on it. It runs better in all situations (road, steep hills.....)

I bought my 60 with 285,000 miles without hesitation. Have DD and wheeled it hard for 2 years. Fixed the usual stuff. Still leaks a little.

Recently I had to get it AZ emmisioned. This forced me to really dig under the hood. Valve adj, vac hoses, timing, oil, filters, did I mention vac hoses, etc. (I'm going back for the 3rd time, I hope 3rd time is a charm). Every other older vehicle I have owned, that was a hassle for emissions/repairs, has gone. I enjoy working on my 60. She stays.

My point is, with every little bit of attention she got, the better/smoother she seems to run. She almost seems...well...happy.

You will love your 60.

Cruisers ARE like pets. Not only do they become more a part of the family, but you begin to see their individual personality. Do as much maintenance and upgrading as possible on your own, you'll begin to see the 60 as personified, with likes and dislikes.

PS - don't talk bad about them, they find out and take it out on you.

Keep it.

We have all gone through this thought process. Most of us here don't sell them, but continue to put $$$ into them. After new wires, manifolds, fuseable link, redone knuckles, pumps (2 smogs), alternator, a/c compressor, tie rods, shackles, re-arched springs, shocks, clutch, relays and a few other things... My 60 runs GREAT!

Now I just want a bit more lift, new tires, and a paint job and I will be all set.

I just can't bring myself to sell "Old Sarge"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom