Converting Lincoln 125 to MIG, newer model (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.wholechiro.com
Hi all,
While I've been doing oxy-acetylene welding for a while, I'm newer to MIG welding. Bought a relatively cheap Lincoln 125 last year from the Home Despot, expecting that I would be able to convert it to true MIG rather than the (what I now realize is messy crap) flux-core.
I looked at the wiring diagrams between the 125 and the 140 model (which has the gas solenoid) and it looks like it might be possible, but other welding forums state "impossible."
I bought the conversion kit from Summit Racing thinking it would be plug and play, but might have been for older models, but not the new circuit board.
Has anyone ever done this? Am I crazy?

You’ll have to wire in the solenoid and I’d imagine that you’ll have to change over to a mig gun and hose that supports gas and put in the plumbing from the solenoid to hose. Maybe the 125 uses the same gun as the 140? But I’d imagine if it was “gas ready” then they’d offer an option to connect it. If you have to do all of that it may be easier to sell yours and upgrade to the 140.

You’ll have to wire in the solenoid and I’d imagine that you’ll have to change over to a mig gun and hose that supports gas and put in the plumbing from the solenoid to hose. Maybe the 125 uses the same gun as the 140? But I’d imagine if it was “gas ready” then they’d offer an option to connect it. If you have to do all of that it may be easier to sell yours and upgrade to the 140.
Yeah--I bought the conversion kit on Summit Racing.com, which seemed pretty cut and dry, until I have to figure out where to wire the solenoid to. Looking at the wiring diagrams between the 125 and 140 it seems like it should be simple, but the videos I've watched are from older circuit boards. Running the air was simple (The Weld-Pak 125HD) is already prepped for the MIG conversion to some extent, including the same gun but with different nozzle which came with the kit). Everyone seems to say don't buy the kit.
Just found this link with answers in case anyone ever finds this thread: converting Lincoln Weld Pak HD [Archive] - WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts If one scrolls all the way down to IMakeTV's posts (start 1-25-2014), he/she seems to make it work.
Now I've just got to figure out which solenoid I've got and connect it appropriately.

Ok, a couple decades ago I had a little 120V Century MIG - you bought it the same as yours (flux core) and then could get the kit to convert it to MIG. The “kit” was basically the regulator, a hose, a fitting to connect the hose into the machine, and the different nozzle - otherwise everything else was already there. I was thinking that if they didn’t offer the “kit” for your model that they wouldn’t have put the other components into the machine.

Ok, a couple decades ago I had a little 120V Century MIG - you bought it the same as yours (flux core) and then could get the kit to convert it to MIG. The “kit” was basically the regulator, a hose, a fitting to connect the hose into the machine, and the different nozzle - otherwise everything else was already there. I was thinking that if they didn’t offer the “kit” for your model that they wouldn’t have put the other components into the machine.
Yeah, it's kind of weird--there was about 2/3 of the length of the plastic hose that was attached to the gun nozzle inside the machine that just ends inside the electrical compartment; I guess it's so the factory workers can just cut/paste whichever machine they're supposed to make.

Thinking about it, I’d guess that all the guns are made for gas. Easier to make them all for gas than make some without. It’s been so long, I can’t remember if I had to open up the case to install a solenoid or if it was already in there.

What is the cost difference between the 125 and the 140?

Could you sell the 125 and use the money towards the 140?

As a noob to welding (don't own anything yet) I am curious.

It usually works out that putting all the parts together after the fact is more expensive than just getting it that way to start. I’d generally advise selling the one and getting the “bigger” one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom