Conventional to synthetic? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2000 100- series with 4.7 with 297,000 miles. I’ve only run 5w conventional oil for the entire life of the vehicle. It doesn’t burn a drop of oil, and has no leaks.

My Toyota dealer just informed me that they will no longer order conventional oil for my oil changes, and said that Toyota has recommended switch over to a synthetic blend.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I’m hesitant to change because I have had no problems to this point.

I've heard some people say they've experienced leaks developing in switching over (from when I had an 80, not the 100). But, from just a how your engine runs and longevity standpoint, synthetic is superior and would be better.

I have a 2000 100- series with 4.7 with 297,000 miles. I’ve only run 5w conventional oil for the entire life of the vehicle. It doesn’t burn a drop of oil, and has no leaks.

My Toyota dealer just informed me that they will no longer order conventional oil for my oil changes, and said that Toyota has recommended switch over to a synthetic blend.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I’m hesitant to change because I have had no problems to this point.
It will be totally fine to change to synthetic.....with the exception of your wallet feeling a bit more pressure.

Some exceptions are engines that have been using oil with high mileage additives. In some cases switching from a HM oil to regular oil can cause issues but switching from conventual to synthetic is not a problem. Lots of opinions on here around oil, tires, and shocks ( all subjective things based on opinions )

When in doubt, you can contact an oil company like Mobil and ask them the same question and let their tech guys explain their take as well.

If you're worried maybe find a trustworthy quick lube shop who may still use conventional? You could also consider DIY oil changes , it's not too bad on the cruiser and it can be done with the wheels on the ground.

I was told the same by the previous owner, that he was told by an old school Toyo mechanic that the switch to synthetic could cause leaks

I was told the same by the previous owner, that he was told by an old school Toyo mechanic that the switch to synthetic could cause leaks
It's just an old school thing to say....Reach out to Blackstone oil or folks at Mobil and see if they have an opinion based on any fact .

The price of conventional and synthetic for 5 quarts is about $2 at walmart. Not sure what the P/O of my 100 used, as soon as I got it, I did synthetic oil and so far so good. My 4R ran on synthetic blend and then switched to fully synthetic.

I switched to synthetic for the longer oil change intervals a decade ago after running conventional for over a decade, Have had zero issues with the switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom