Controlling airlift bags in cab with arb compressor for towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to install air lift air bags and use my arb compressor to inflate them independently in the rear of my 80 series. However I want to only use solenoids, no air lines going to paddle switches in the interior. Has anyone done something similar? I would also like to have as small as possible digital gauges on the dash for the pressures.

First thing you'll want to do is figure out a relief valve or other means to be sure that the ARB compressor doesn't deliver more the 35 psi, the max pressure for Airlift bags. Otherwise, you risk inadvertent blowouts.

If it was me, I guess I don't see the need for on-the-fly adjustments once things are fully loaded. Independent control is a matter of running separate air lines to each shock. I use a bike pump to inflate mine and it takes very little pumping to quickly get to 20 psi+. That's why you need to be really cautious about hooking a compressor up to the air bag system.

I installed the inflation nipples inside the fuel door.
8LzP4h.jpg

First thing you'll want to do is figure out a relief valve or other means to be sure that the ARB compressor doesn't deliver more the 35 psi, the max pressure for Airlift bags. Otherwise, you risk inadvertent blowouts.

If it was me, I guess I don't see the need for on-the-fly adjustments once things are fully loaded. Independent control is a matter of running separate air lines to each shock. I use a bike pump to inflate mine and it takes very little pumping to quickly get to 20 psi+. That's why you need to be really cautious about hooking a compressor up to the air bag system.

I installed the inflation nipples inside the fuel door.
8LzP4h.jpg
That's a cool location for the fill ports. I'm thinking of getting a 45 gallon rear tank and that was the consideration for having in cab control. How much height do you gain at the 35psi maximum would you guess?

That's a cool location for the fill ports. I'm thinking of getting a 45 gallon rear tank and that was the consideration for having in cab control. How much height do you gain at the 35psi maximum would you guess?
Yeah, having the subtank valve there would tend to use up most of that limited real estate. If you can somehow fit it all in, it's still the simplest spot to put them.

I've never run them up to 35 psi. Never had a load on that needed that. I'd be cautious doing that without the trailer being loaded to require it. I suspect you might gain a couple of inches, so could increase rear body clearance some.

I run the airlift poly bags inside my springs. I sometimes tow a trailer and that's when I inflate them. I have the shraders in the rear near my hitch. People told me that if you off-road with them, you will destroy them. 10 years, no issues and I'm not easy on my vehicles. 3 of my friends run the same set up.

Personally, I don't see the need to control them from my air compressor. Its not like I have to fine tune on the trail. I keep about 5 psi in them and run them at 40 when I tow. They don't raise the vehicle much but more increase spring rate.

I bought and installed the LRA 24 gal almost 2 years ago. It's what put my rig "over the edge", weightwise, to need leveling assistance. As @smritte suggested, and as Airlift instructs, height gain is not what you're getting. Airlift airbags just increase the spring rate so your rearend doesn't sag so much. That's why Airlift instructs to air up the bags before you load your rig. I find that since I keep the 24 gal aux tank full, most of the time, I keep 25 psi in the bags. I'll increase it to 30 + psi for tongue weight when towing my squaredrop trailer. I plumbed separate Schrader valves near each rear wheel to keep the lines as short as possible to avoid leaks from wear and damage. Your desire to have inside controls and gauges and a system to accomplish this on the fly is nothing new and seen on some higher dollar setups or customized rigs, but can be troublesome due to fragility of components, requiring frequent maintenance. Personally off road, I like to "keep it stupid simple" (kiss therory).

I put the fill tips in the corners where the back hatch closes, stays out of the weather, easy access. I fill it with a little Rigid Cordless compressor....pretty painless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom