Considering this 1974 -looking for opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for first FJ40 and came across this one. Here’s the description from the seller, still trying to get more information.
“1974 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 4 Door Convertible Orange Exterior Black Interior 6 Cyl. Manual RWD 4-Wheel Drive, 88,575 miles Clean condition- This car is perfect in every way. Always garage kept, meticulously maintained, stored in a climate controlled environment and never damaged. This car runs and drives great. It has all the necessary documents (clean title in hand, original bill of sale, user's manual,insurance). All services completed and all records available”

Initial photos look good but need to get shots of underside.

E8881B62-84F2-4C7C-A728-95FE2ED9B89D.jpeg
FDA24F27-7222-447E-8AE5-E8BC5D96DA99.jpeg
90B7DA0C-80CA-4BA2-8A59-EFFF1496B2E7.jpeg
9828362F-CE1F-4E2E-805E-66FA74765964.jpeg
958294F0-C683-4D24-9F48-6F87271DE195.jpeg

Run.

It's a frankencruiser.

Too many parts that aren't supposed to be on a 74

Windshield frame.
Hardtop sides.

The fuel port should have a door on it.

That's just barely browsing through those pics, I'm positive there's more to discover.

also I don't trust the "garage kept" or "climate controlled" crap.. that frame is waaay to bumpy to not be painted over rust, or at least been rusty as heck at one point.

What are your intentions for this 40? Concours correct garage queen, or weekend trail rig? Toy to wrench on , or carwash is the most maintainance to do. Wide spectrum of priorities for people, what's important to you?

Good question, just want a reliable driver to take out on the weekends and do a little wrenching on, even though I have “zero” skills as a mechanic, I figure this is probably as good a way to learn. Not looking to do a nut and bolt Resto but might want to clean things up and update a few things. Willing to spend around $15k. They’re out there and am getting better at spotting the differences between the good, the bad and the ugly. Just toughen do so with photos and videos.

This could be a great 40 for you. Lots of info on Mud concerning how to inspect. Read up and plan a trip to see it in person. Your opinion is the one that matters.

just received an email from seller:
As I've described to you in my previous email, this car it's in very good condition and in my opinion you won't be able to find a nicer car for this price.
I was thinking at a solution, how we can make the deal, given the present situation and the best mode will be C.O.D. Cash-On-Delivery will be a convenient solution for us.
I will ship the car to your home address C.O.D. ( Cash-on-Delivery ) with the possibility of inspection ... after you receive the car you have 2 days for inspection, time to decide if you want to buy it.
As you probably noticed, the price is rather low but I've bought the car from US, where I live with my wife and we came in Netherlands now , with my business for the next 2-3 years.
My mistake was to took the car with me with the intention to use the car here, but to use it in Netherlands , I'll have to pay a big tax that I was not aware about, at that time.
So , I've decided to sell it back to US. The car is still registered in US with a Clean Title so in this mode , will be very simple to transfer the car on your name.
This is an incredibly enjoyable car to drive ... little sad as I write this knowing it is leaving but I hope she finds a good home.
If you are still interested , send me your phone number and we will talk more.

I think I'm out on this one. Too many red flags. Not worth the aggravation. I've read too many scams from buyers with similar situations. I can wait for the right one to come along. Appreciate all the feedback and input.

I think I'm out on this one. Too many red flags. Not worth the aggravation. I've read too many scams from buyers with similar situations. I can wait for the right one to come along. Appreciate all the feedback and input.

Wise decision.... be patient and keep hunting - your 40 will find you! ;)

That does seem awful fishy, but usually they want you to pay up front. I don't recall any scams that will deliver the vehicle to you before payment. Interesting.

Run Forest Run

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom