Is a 99 100 Series OEM Rear Locker Plug-N-Play into an unlocked 99 100 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trapper50cal

TEQ Frame of Mind
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Seems like I would be able to search this up but no hits on Google or Mud search.

All my findings relate to post '99 100 Series recipient trucks or LX's

Really all I need to know is if the third member w/ actuator installs into a non-locked model's rear axle housing.
I just need to know if the whole axle housing is needed or not.

Looking at purchasing a whole set-up...wiring, module, dash switch, third member

Donor is '99 recipient is '99 - PlugNPlay?

Last edited:
No first hand knowledge but check this thread.

The axle shafts are different between locked and non-locked, from what I read. I just swapped the entire axle ('99 LC into '99 LX). There is no harness in the LX, so I ran a Trailgear harness and can run the locker under any conditions. That was the biggest reasons I didn't want the OEM wiring setup.

Sometimes, a Google search will find in Mud what a Mud search can't/won't find. There several good locker swap threads in Mud.

Your non locked housing will need to be modified. Will require grinding and cutting a notch in the flange, drilling and tapping new holes for mounting studs. Plus you’ll need the passenger short side axle shaft in order to work with the elocker. Best bet is to get the entire housing with third.

Your non locked housing will need to be modified. Will require grinding and cutting a notch in the flange, drilling and tapping new holes for mounting studs. Plus you’ll need the passenger short side axle shaft in order to work with the elocker. Best bet is to get the entire housing with third.

Thanks! That was what I had found was the case for Factory 98/99 install on 2000 and later that didn't have rear locker available from the factory.

You feel pretty sure that applies to the years it was available from the factory? (98/99)
That a non-locked housing is the same across the two phases?

Thanks! That was what I had found was the case for Factory 98/99 install on 2000 and later that didn't have rear locker available from the factory.

You feel pretty sure that applies to the years it was available from the factory? (98/99)
That a non-locked housing is the same across the two phases?
Went out and took a look at mine I have both since I did the swap. I’ll post pics, sorry they’re not that great. Looks like the stud locations are actually the same you’ll just need the longer ones for the actuator side. If you’re talking about the axle shaft differences I’m not sure on that. I know when looking up part numbers on partsouq it lists two different numbers for shafts on the short side, one being for a differential locker and the other for a standard axle. If I remember correctly the difference is the length of splines on the shaft.

IMG_4130.jpeg

IMG_4129.jpeg

There is in fact a "harness" in the Land Cruiser; it's in the floor harness on the driver's side. The connector is in the crease between the inner fender well and the quarter panel.

You however need the actuator subharness to connect the axle to the floor harness. It's NLA, but it's not that hard to replicate; the connector housings are still available. You' just need the wire to go between the two ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom