Coms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice! Yeah I want to get a Larsen or Diamond antenna next. I have a feeling this cheap Nagoya is not the greatest.

Good to see lots of chatter on the Coms thread! o_O

Once I get a vehicle I am ok taking off road I will want some help with this as well! Eyeing buying the youngest princess a different vehicle and claiming her 100 for (bro) overlanding with the club! You guys may have noticed I have a tendency to buy ones that are too nice.......

Good to see lots of chatter on the Coms thread! o_O

Once I get a vehicle I am ok taking off road I will want some help with this as well! Eyeing buying the youngest princess a different vehicle and claiming her 100 for (bro) overlanding with the club! You guys may have noticed I have a tendency to buy ones that are too nice.......
We learned lots about antenna setups at GSMTR. A couple hams were on 146.460 and Chris was fortunate enough to hear most of their constant, never ending, incessant droning about theirs. So, run what Chris is running, because I only heard 1/2 of it and apparently nobody else heard any. Or run what they were running, because apparently it is AMAZING. Either way, get your Cruiser dirty!

If you are shopping for a radio for a 100 series, definitely look for a unit with the remote faceplate. There is not a great place to mount a normal unit. The Icom I bought will fit fine in the F350 but I will get something with a remote display for the LX.

I found that GigaParts.com had some great prices and Icom is running a mail-in rebate sale right now: https://0f03806ff3d3e74e9602-196c53...dn.com/downloads/Icom_Spring_2018_Savings.pdf

Last edited:
Was able to hit the repeater last night with my 5w HT and the 1/4 wave mag mount antenna from Boiling Springs. Exchanged a few words with Chris before the hams took over for their news, roll call, and rag chew.

Another great feature to have on one is GPS. I run a Kenwood tm-D710, which does not have gps. (tm-D710G has gps) I ran this setup because I also use the APRS system and with a special NMEA translator cable I am linked directly to my gamin Nuvi 350 which in turn populates the Garmin with the locations of all the repeaters and anyone else sending packet transmissions through APRS.

Keep thinking about important features. I also like the crossband repeat feature on mine. I use while hunting as it allow me to use my truck as the base unit connected to the local repeater. I can be deep in the woods with no cell phone service but use my HT to transmit to my truck which in turn crosses me over onto the repeater. Good feature to have when in the wilderness alone. The yaesu ftm-350ar (which I believe is what @GLTHFJ60 runs in Moonshine) was the other radio with all these features that I would suggest if you can still get your hands on one. I couldn't find one when I was searching for my radio.

Yup, yaesu ftm-350r. The importance of aprs cannot be overstated if you're traveling in the bush alone.

You may want to wait for the ARRL Field Day on 6/23-24, find a local or maybe more than one local club in the area. There might be people selling and showcasing equipment. Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood are all excellent brand names. Make sure it has built in GPS, some may state they have GPS but it is an extra module you got to buy. Icom and Kenwood are Dstar too, which adds a large network of digital towers too.

I am not married to any radio, change them out every once in a while to try different brands and features. That way I tell myself I am just renting it, and sell it later. So far I really like the Icom ID-5100a on my truck. I saw one for sale on facebook marketplace for $350 recently so they can be found used in great condition.

I am not married to any radio, change them out every once in a while to try different brands and features. That way I tell myself I am just renting it, and sell it later. So far I really like the Icom ID-5100a on my truck. I saw one for sale on facebook marketplace for $350 recently so they can be found used in great condition.

Im that way with V/Uhf units. HF is different story. It would take only one radio for me to give up my Elecraft K3.

Great thread. Some of you know from my What Handheld Do You Use that I'ma noob who is ready to go HAM and get the licensing started.
I have a Beofeng UV-5R on the way and am fired up to get it crackling.
146.061 IIRC.
Bones out

Great thread. Some of you know from my What Handheld Do You Use that I'ma noob who is ready to go HAM and get the licensing started.
I have a Beofeng UV-5R on the way and am fired up to get it crackling.
146.061 IIRC.
Bones out
Bill, I just ordered the same radio and am also new to this. I'd like to get my license this summer.

@BJJCruiser
Mine will be here Thursday and the handbook should be soon after.
I believe there is a repeater around, maybe on Glassy Mtn. I'm in Greenville we can talk like real ROs soon.

Calling 146.610 whenever I learn how. Rcvd Baofeng V/UHF and ARRL Manual today.
Battery charged I'll be on the air this night.

I dont do much on 2m, mostly listen... V/Uhf only utilized in the mobile.
Log into Facebook | Facebook some local posted vids of things said on the SCHEART system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom