Coms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had much better success with the external antenna. The 5r with Nagoya mag mount on the roof and a handheld mike has worked really well.

I did just decide to upgrade to an Icom mobile but haven't installed it yet.

Like this?

3A2BC41B-9141-4EED-A590-86E051D3C08C.png

That's it. Then the Baofeng mic for better sound and ease of use instead of dragging the antenna cable. The radio tucks down under the e-brake when using it. I have been able to hit the Ceasars Head repeater from Boiling Springs with it but couldnt communicate a mile from inside the vehicle with the rubber duck.

So in anticipation of finally being able to attend and event, the parkway ride, I starting installing a new high zoot Bearcat cb in the LX. Then I read this &@$ thread and it looks like nobody is using them. Is this an absolute truth? Is there an assumption that club trail riders are all going to go Thru the HAM process? Asking for a friend

Last edited:
That was low. You shouldn’t talk to new again /old members like that until AFTER they’ve drank some of your beer
Don't worry, I still have a CB in my 80. I haven't used it since 2016, but it's there. Maybe for nostalgia we can chat with each other on a trail sometime. You know, like, if we're within 50 yards of each other.

Word of caution when upgrading from a handheld: I installed the Icom and hit a couple repeaters. Great clarity and 65w power will reach out. Hopefully someone on the other end has the power to return the transmission. However, without thinking about it, I gave up UHF capability. Why does that matter?

GMRS and FRS are UHF. So if you are the only one in a group with a good 2m setup, it does little good if there is nobody to talk to and everyone else is chatting on their basic box-store handhelds.

I planned to keep the Baofengs around as loaners, but now have another reason. Anyway, here is the 2300. These radios us RJ45 jacks for the mic. I also got some rubber RJ45 dust plugs for when the radio is not being used and the mic is stowed. I have spares if anyone else wants one.
D88B8E2F-8BC1-4322-AC7F-2E1B52B952DE.jpeg

A buddy of mine mentioned on FB that a lot of J**p guys are migrating from HAM to GMRS. I don't know the reasons, other than licensing is easier. I think it's more of an application process than an actual test. Out west a lot of the W.E. Rock & Ultra4 events and clubs use Rugged Radios (tm), which I believe are GMRS. That may have something to do with the surge in that bandwidth.

A buddy of mine mentioned on FB that a lot of J**p guys are migrating from HAM to GMRS. I don't know the reasons, other than licensing is easier. I think it's more of an application process than an actual test. Out west a lot of the W.E. Rock & Ultra4 events and clubs use Rugged Radios (tm), which I believe are GMRS. That may have something to do with the surge in that bandwidth.
Yes, GMRS license is done by applying and paying a fee. My limited experience is most don’t and feign ignorance because they bought the radio at Walmart. They do work just fine among a group together.

Rugged Radios are (maybe were) hams with preprogrammed freqs as channels. Buried in their faq they do say you need a license but I talked to a dealer that made the case they were exempt.

Yes, GMRS license is done by applying and paying a fee. My limited experience is most don’t and feign ignorance because they bought the radio at Walmart. They do work just fine among a group together.

Rugged Radios are (maybe were) hams with preprogrammed freqs as channels. Buried in their faq they do say you need a license but I talked to a dealer that made the case they were exempt.
Looks like maybe they did get an exemption.

Licensing
This two-way radio operates on radio frequencies that are regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). A license is required to transmit on these frequencies. For this reason, Rugged Radios has licensed a variety of frequencies/channels on which its customers can transmit for business, recreational or race use. Rugged Radios customers are authorized to transmit on Rugged Radios mobile and handheld radios only, on the pre-programmed channels, in the various locations designated by its license. Operation that is not consistent with the FCC rules and regulations is not authorized by Rugged Radios. For the latest information regarding the Rugged Radios license, please visit ruggedradios.com/licensing

So what is everyone doing Amateur Radio related during all this HOME time?

Ive have a HF wire antenna, just havent gotten it in the tree. Pollen gets the better of me, each time i go outside. Just been vegetating inside, ordered a V/Uhf base antenna. Have a Hexbeam still in pieces. Plus other HF antennas in pieces.
HF wire is the closest one that would be in the air only if the rain and pollen would cooperate. Phantom 4 batteries all charged and ready to put the lines into trees..
20200323_125115.jpg

HF QRP sucks
Screenshot_20200326-210748_Instagram.jpg

Was using my SOTA antenna on the right...

No active Amateur Radio Operators in the Upstate anymore?
The Lowcountry is ready silent

No active Amateur Radio Operators in the Upstate anymore?
The Lowcountry is ready silent
Greenville and Spartanburg both have active clubs. I personally am only interested in the communication to further the outdoor hobbies rather than the radio being a hobby itself. I would like to have a better understanding of it though to get the most out of the tech.

I personally am only interested in the communication to further the outdoor hobbies rather than the radio being a hobby itself.
-SAD-
Just test and figure it out as you go... People are not forth coming with knowledge. Ive had to read and learn everything myself.

So after reading this thread is a Midlands MXT 275 GMRS radio compatible with Baofeng bf-f8hp ham radio? Does a licenses need to be abtained to communicate between HAM and GMRS radios?

Not sure about compatibility. HAM requires (yeah right) a license. Which includes fees and a test. I believe GMRS only requires one time license fee without a test. That is the END of my nerd radio knowledge

So after reading this thread is a Midlands MXT 275 GMRS radio compatible with Baofeng bf-f8hp ham radio? Does a licenses need to be abtained to communicate between HAM and GMRS radios?
Either require license to legally transmit. Recent news is that licensing fees are changing too.

I have communicated between the two before. Just key in the right frequency on the Ham for the corresponding channel on the GMRS.

Sucks that my 50w Icom mobile VHF unit can't do this so I still take along the Baofeng for groups that may still be stuck on these.

20210110_205053.jpg

Do most of the members run GMRS or HAM radios? It seemed like most guys had those Baofeng radios on the Christmas tree run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom