Coms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do most of the members run GMRS or HAM radios? It seemed like most guys had those Baofeng radios on the Christmas tree run.

1610332583655.png

Now that’s the way to show off your ham, so when does the Land Cruiser license plate come out?

93D7D886-8049-4A27-8676-125B241B8615.jpeg

Now that’s the way to show off your ham, so when does the Land Cruiser license plate come out?

View attachment 2551058
I'm guessing that is Tim in Spartanburg, not Luther in VA since he let his expire in 2006. :confused:

I REALLY dislike the licensing requirement. First I have to pay for permission to transmit, then my information is only protected as much as I don't share my call sign.

The junkyard truck I bought my '12 axle from had numerous pictures on the junkyard's website listing. The PO had a call sign sticker on the window. From there I was able to find his house and a picture from Google street view of the same FJC sitting in his driveway. He's somewhere in NC, forgot where now. DIdn't see any recognizable LC/Toyota club stickers.

I'd like to find an Elmer to teach me how to use the radio I've got. Got my technician license over a year ago and have been able to get on the weekly ham net in Hendersonville and have done some simplex transmissions helping direct the 2019 Christmas parade and that is it. I need someone to simplify the whole thing and show me how to use what I have so I can get some enjoyment out of it. Unfortunately the local amateur radio club is only meeting via zoom due to the 'Rona. Maybe one day I'll get there . . .

I'd like to find an Elmer to teach me how to use the radio I've got. Got my technician license over a year ago and have been able to get on the weekly ham net in Hendersonville and have done some simplex transmissions helping direct the 2019 Christmas parade and that is it. I need someone to simplify the whole thing and show me how to use what I have so I can get some enjoyment out of it. Unfortunately the local amateur radio club is only meeting via zoom due to the 'Rona. Maybe one day I'll get there . . .
I'm probably the closes to you and can work with you, but it if you are getting on repeaters to check in on nets, and plugging in freqs for simplex transmissions, it sounds like you are set.

What did you end up getting @bcngator00 ?
I have the ubiquitous Baofeng UV-5R and just got a Yaesu FT3DR as a Christmas present. The Yaesu is slick, but it has so many menus and settings that it is overwhelming. Especially for one just starting out in this and not being totally familiar with all the acronyms and jargon. I'd like to find some active repeaters to chat things up and get confident in what I am doing in the realm of Ham radio. I'll get there eventually!

I'm probably the closes to you and can work with you, but it if you are getting on repeaters to check in on nets, and plugging in freqs for simplex transmissions, it sounds like you are set.
I have dabbled in Repeaterbook some looking for active repeaters in my area, but have only been able to get the one repeater in Hendersonville (W4YK) to work. It seems like the "bands are dead" any other time I get on the radio and scan for activity. I know that there has to be more out there than what I am finding. I have a family member who has just gotten his license and is all fired up about digital modes of transmission, but using the internet to communicate just defeats the purpose of having a ham radio to me. How would that work when you are cruising in the woods somewhere, have an issue, and need to direct help to you?

I have dabbled in Repeaterbook some looking for active repeaters in my area, but have only been able to get the one repeater in Hendersonville (W4YK) to work. It seems like the "bands are dead" any other time I get on the radio and scan for activity. I know that there has to be more out there than what I am finding. I have a family member who has just gotten his license and is all fired up about digital modes of transmission, but using the internet to communicate just defeats the purpose of having a ham radio to me. How would that work when you are cruising in the woods somewhere, have an issue, and need to direct help to you?
I am considering being at Rigs and Coffee this Saturday. You available? We can do a quick rundown there and see what we can hit.

The biggest problem I have with repeaters is getting the radio's tone and offset input correctly. I don't do it enough to be proficient without fumbling through the settings a few times. However, with my 5w and an external antenna, I can still hit the Caesar's Head repeater from Spartanburg (33 miles as a radio wave flies) and talk to Greenville.

I haven't figured out the draw of "internet radio" either. Might as well just pick up the phone and call somebody.

I am considering being at Rigs and Coffee this Saturday. You available? We can do a quick rundown there and see what we can hit.

The biggest problem I have with repeaters is getting the radio's tone and offset input correctly. I don't do it enough to be proficient without fumbling through the settings a few times. However, with my 5w and an external antenna, I can still hit the Caesar's Head repeater from Spartanburg (33 miles as a radio wave flies) and talk to Greenville.

I haven't figured out the draw of "internet radio" either. Might as well just pick up the phone and call somebody.
I am probably going to go since it is so close to the house. My son said he wanted to go check out the rigs so I will probably be there. Tone & offset is a pain. We can chat then if you are there.

So, it is a crime to use a radio in a crime. Good to know. Keep up the good work FCC. 😐

FCC Issues Enforcement Advisory: Radio Users Reminded Not to Use Radios in Crimes​

So, it is a crime to use a radio in a crime. Good to know. Keep up the good work FCC. 😐

FCC Issues Enforcement Advisory: Radio Users Reminded Not to Use Radios in Crimes​

Only government could come up with such an announcement

I got GMRS wired into my GX for now. Since I had to borrow a Baofang during the Christmas tree run I went and picked up a Wouxon kg-uv9d plus with my Christmas money. It can receive on 7 bands which I like I can listen in on the planes coming in and out of Donaldson on my lunch break. A little upgrade over the barfing. I'm still trying to learn how to dial into repeaters and will eventually get my license

Dual-Band Transmission
  • 144-148MHz VHF (FM TX)
  • 420-450MHz UHF (FM TX)

7 Band Reception
  • 76-108MHz (FM Radio)
  • 108-136MHz (AM RX)
  • 136-180MHz (FM RX)
  • 230-250MHz (FM RX)
  • 350-400MHz (FM RX)
  • 400-512MHz (FM RX)
  • 700-985MHz (FM RX)

I got GMRS wired into my GX for now. Since I had to borrow a Baofang during the Christmas tree run I went and picked up a Wouxon kg-uv9d plus with my Christmas money. It can receive on 7 bands which I like I can listen in on the planes coming in and out of Donaldson on my lunch break. A little upgrade over the barfing. I'm still trying to learn how to dial into repeaters and will eventually get my license

Dual-Band Transmission
  • 144-148MHz VHF (FM TX)
  • 420-450MHz UHF (FM TX)

7 Band Reception
  • 76-108MHz (FM Radio)
  • 108-136MHz (AM RX)
  • 136-180MHz (FM RX)
  • 230-250MHz (FM RX)
  • 350-400MHz (FM RX)
  • 400-512MHz (FM RX)
  • 700-985MHz (FM RX)
That’s great. Wish I had of paid attention to mine and gotten dual band. I can only do VHF, which is fine for ham work and using our normal simplex freqs, but it is nice to be able to run UHF and talk with a group who may only have GMRS.

How did everyone's winter antenna projects go?

Sold my Hexbeam that I rebuilt twice after it came down in a storm and never put back on the air. Will miss it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom