Coms

BenMara

Asian Redneck

Last week helped a new local ham with an HF dipole i had laying around from a storm. Used the drone to drop tag line in trees, and raised the antenna in 15min. Not using the tennis ball gun anymore. Now i have some incentive to get back on HF, and finish all my antenna projects.

I joined the Grand Strand Amateur Radio Club and got my little hand held hitting the repeaters with a few of those guys help! I had some time play with it during Florence and wanted to learn in case of emergency, but I wasn't able to get the repeater. I finally got the right settings programmed and was able to talk to someone in Rock Hill and Beaufort. They're having Beachfest/ Hamfest just a few miles from my house on Oct. 27 so I'm gonna try to find a cheap used base station and antenna for my shop. I was thinking about just getting a higher quality hand held and power supply and swap them back and forth between the trucks and shop, but I'll probably just get a used HT that is FCC part 90 compliant to use in the truck for the trails and a dedicated little base. Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of antenna setup, or used HT or base to look for? I will probably stay with just the Technician license for a while and tune into 144/440. I need something simple and easy to operate and not too expensive! I don't have an HOA so I can put up an antenna on a pole on by my metal building/ Ham shack / man shed.

Thanks!

I passed my technician test back on 10/6 but to this day, I still haven't obtained my call sign...FCC.gov has no record of it - grr! I've reached out to the proctors who were there during the exam to see what happened. Still haven't gotten anything from them. Once that gets resolved though, I do have a Baofeng BF-H8HP which I've been monitoring for over a month. Can usually pick up Ceasar's Head with my longer Nagoya antenna.

Top Bottom