Coms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HamStudy.org is the best online test tool ive used..... Now only if could get my antennas in the air..

Going to try and get the test with steve this weekend if I can get time to study.

You guys are bright and have some electrical experience so I'm sure it won't be a problem for you......I was still nervous after taking the practice tests like 45 times!

Its just memorizing questions. You learn more listening on the HF radio, setting up equipment, and talking to other people that have an interest in Amateur Radio.... I am an extra class. Ive learned more cause i can talk in the edges of the band when i wasnt once able to talk as a General class....

Congrats! I need to go sit for the test sometime.

I've gotten my money's worth out of my Baofeng many years ago on group rides out west just being able to listen.

I spent 5 hours with those cards and only missed one. Considering that I did pretty good. Will say knowing electrical circuits helped a bunch. Thanks mom and dad for buying me one of these in the 70's.
B49625B6-98C6-4263-8469-C58FB6D1E18C-11363-00000B6B572D9130.jpeg

I spent 5 hours with those cards and only missed one. Considering that I did pretty good. Will say knowing electrical circuits helped a bunch. Thanks mom and dad for buying me one of these in the 70's.
View attachment 1521734
:clap:I remember those! Can't believe you still have one....it looks new.

That was just a pic from the internet. But I still have mine. I had it wired up with my neighbors
With a wire going between our two houses. We used to talk all night till dad ran over the wire with the lawnmower. Boy was he pissed.

For future reference, this is the online test simulator I used. I kept taking the test online until I could get a passing score. There are only a handful of math questions (2-3, iirc) and the rest are fact based or FCC rule based memorization. After a while even the math questions start looking familiar on sight.

eHam.net Ham Radio Practice Exams

I'm listening to the nightly check-in on the 146.61 repeater. After people respond many of them say "I'll be negative and negative".

What does that mean? They're switching channels to a frequency twice the normal offset?

What does that mean? They're switching channels to a frequency twice the normal offset?[/QUOTE]
I'm listening to the nightly check-in on the 146.61 repeater. After people respond many of them say "I'll be negative and negative".

What does that mean? They're switching channels to a frequency twice the normal offset?
Good question. Two negatives make a positive though, sooo?? Listening to the repeater down here in Pensacola and one of the hams kept saying hi-hi at the end of each transmission. Turns out this is ham-speak for LOL, and goes back to Morse code. Weird.

Maybe it's related to something I missed early during the check-in. Like two questions, if they'd like to make an announcement or something later on during the session?

Good question. Two negatives make a positive though, sooo?? Listening to the repeater down here in Pensacola and one of the hams kept saying hi-hi at the end of each transmission. Turns out this is ham-speak for LOL, and goes back to Morse code. Weird.[/QUOTE]
I listened to a HAM etiquette video on youtube....apparently all those type of code words are frowned upon by the people in the HAM world. They don't like anything other than plain conversation when on the radio. It makes them cringe....they compared it to CB user lingo.

Ok I think I figured it out. It's part of the net check-in. The first item is if you have any traffic for the net, the second is if you plan to stick around for ragchew after the regular session. So they were saying "no traffic, no ragchew"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom