Completed! Offroad utility trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Test drive
027-26.jpg

10 lb tank
027-27.jpg

Brand new Tepui Baja Ultralite Kukenam 4 for $1285 shipped!
027-28.jpg

My family can't wait to go camping now!
027-29.jpg

The top of the trailer is about 5' high. The (lower than average) tent height means I can lift the toddlers in and out with ease, and no climbing all over to deploy or break down camp.
027-30.jpg

Last edited:
027-31.jpg

Some things I might add later include side storage boxes, fishing pole storage, spare tire swing out, scepter holders, hitch receiver for bikes, etc. Not sure what I really want or need yet. I'm pretty set for now.
027-32.jpg

027-33.jpg

Can definitely get her 90 degrees for tight maneuvers
027-34.jpg

Kitchen lighting done. Fridge next tax refund.
027-35.jpg

Last edited:
Looking great!!! Slide out kitchen looks awesome.

Questions:

I am getting ready to make my doors (and the related openings) and struggling with a good design to be weatherproof. How did you weld yours up. Did you make some custom pieces to make that transition? Can you show more pics of that?

Can you share the lights you used for under the awning?

Looking great!!! Slide out kitchen looks awesome.

Questions:

I am getting ready to make my doors (and the related openings) and struggling with a good design to be weatherproof. How did you weld yours up. Did you make some custom pieces to make that transition? Can you show more pics of that?

Can you share the lights you used for under the awning?

Thanks!

For the doors, I wanted to keep it simple. I fitted and tacked 1/2" flat bar around the inside of the door frame to create the flange, leaving a gap for the weather seal. Tacks every 6 inches or so and then seam sealed with Wurth and painted. Then I used this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Automotive-Weather-Weatherstrip-Soundproofing/dp/B0771T61VH

If it ever tears or wears out I can just pull it off and re-apply new stuff. If you plan on sliding heavy stuff in and out then the resulting 1/2" lip might not be the best idea. For my use I don't even notice it.

The awning lights are just 5K SMD strip lighting. I bought a 15ft roll like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Waterproof-Childrens-Staircase-Collectable/dp/B07FDBC946

Almost the entire roll is installed and it only draws 3.2A and is very bright. I made a harness with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BXB2Y8

The harness simply unrolls with the awning.

Last edited:
Many thanks to @UZJ40 for the ideas I borrowed from his build thread. Your build totally inspired this one!

I'll post more pics after the shakedown run.

there is still hope for this country....! :cheers:

Trying to understand the door jamb. Did these in google sketchup.... So from the flat outer shell, did you find some pre-made jamb material? Or did you just put angle iron on it to recess it back then add the barstock you mentioned?

upload_2019-2-3_8-8-40.png
upload_2019-2-3_8-9-1.png

upload_2019-2-3_8-14-39.png

curious, how many hours do you think you have in this?

Trying to understand the door jamb. Did these in google sketchup.... So from the flat outer shell, did you find some pre-made jamb material? Or did you just put angle iron on it to recess it back then add the barstock you mentioned?

View attachment 1895964View attachment 1895965

View attachment 1895973

I didn't use anything premade. Everything was made by hand from stock. No angle necessary IMO. I just set back the 1/2"x.125 flat bar enough to accomodate the weather strip that I was planning to use, and tacked it 90 to the jamb every few inches on the inside along it's entire length(s). Super rigid. The only way it will move is if you hammer it. You can use angle if you like, but I think it would be a waste of material/money and add extra weight.

I just held the door shut with clamps and straight edges, then got behind it and clamped the flatbar in place... clamped to the door with an appropriately thick spacer in between (to maintain a consistent gap). Then tacked away.

I'll get a picture of it later on...

curious, how many hours do you think you have in this?

I really wish I knew... probably way too many hours. Sometimes the project would go untouched for weeks at a time. When I'm able I usually only get a couple hours to work on it at a time. I also built it at a slow pace taking my time with everything to get it the way I like it.

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but have you weighed the trailer after completion? I'd be interested in what this set up weighs.

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but have you weighed the trailer after completion? I'd be interested in what this set up weighs.

I want to find out too... I was shooting for a 10-15% tongue weight. I'll weigh it on it's first outing. I can say that it is definitely lighter than it looks... can barely feel it behind the cruiser both during acceleration and braking, even full loaded with water tank topped off. I'm on 35's with stock gears.

I forgot to mention that I ended up going with a 16-gauge floor and 18-gauge fenders/sides/top for weight savings. Glad I did because anything thicker would've been a waste of money and unnecessary added weight.

I want to find out too... I was shooting for a 10-15% tongue weight. I'll weigh it on it's first outing. I can say that it is definitely lighter than it looks... can barely feel it behind the cruiser both during acceleration and braking, even full loaded with water tank topped off. I'm on 35's with stock gears.

I forgot to mention that I ended up going with a 16-gauge floor and 18-gauge fenders/sides/top for weight savings. Glad I did because anything thicker would've been a waste of money and unnecessary added weight.
Good to know about the "feel" while towing. That's all I was really after anyway. I'm on 35's with stock gears as well and with armor and a RTT the 1FZ struggles to accelerate at times and I would hate to build/buy a trailer and then realize that my rig was basically useless due to poor handling and no power. Just wasn't sure if the addition of the trailer would be that dramatic but it seems like it wasn't too bad in your case.

Good to know about the "feel" while towing. That's all I was really after anyway. I'm on 35's with stock gears as well and with armor and a RTT the 1FZ struggles to accelerate at times and I would hate to build/buy a trailer and then realize that my rig was basically useless due to poor handling and no power. Just wasn't sure if the addition of the trailer would be that dramatic but it seems like it wasn't too bad in your case.

I had the same concerns as you and that's why I was so stoked after towing it for the first time. It's way more nimble than I had imagined. Because of that and the fact that the max coupler is dead silent, I found myself checking the mirrors every so often to make sure it was still behind me. If I were to do it again I wouldn't be afraid to add a few other items that I omitted from the original plan to shave some weight.

Would be very interested to.know what it weighs. Looks very heavy with the box frame. What wall thickness did you use?

The build quality is amazing hats off to you

Would be very interested to.know what it weighs. Looks very heavy with the box frame. What wall thickness did you use?

The build quality is amazing hats off to you

Thanks... used 1/8" wall for most of the frame with the exception of the 1/4" wall draw bar(s). Used .065 tube for the fenders, tent bars, etc.

Test run went fantastic. Drove a few hours to Anza Borrego in the rain and the trailer handled beautifully. Off road it was phenomenal. Zero issues, and it went wherever I went. It was dead silent and I couldn't even tell it was behind me. Took it over as many obstacles and climbs I could find (no Diablo Drop Off this time though). Went over washboards and in super tight trail sections without issue. It's as if I wasn't towing anything.

All the systems functioned as planned with the exception of an improperly purged propane tank (luckily I brought two). Water system, water heater, lighting and electrical, suspension, leveling, tent and awning, etc. all worked great! Tongue weight is on the high side with a full water tank and no fridge installed yet. But even with an empty water tank there were no sketchy road manners.

Still haven't weighed it yet but at this point I couldn't be happier with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom