Completed! Offroad utility trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Prepping for camping season is in effect. This weekend I was able to fab a simple scepter mount and installed some quickfists to hold the fishing rod and hose holder and a shovel. I'm waiting on the flat hook ratchet strap to arrive so I can finish the mount and paint it.

20190406_145107.jpg
IMG_20190406_142728_627.jpg

Top notch build! Sorry if I missed it, but what coating is on the outside? How well are the door seals doing at keeping dust out?

Top notch build! Sorry if I missed it, but what coating is on the outside? How well are the door seals doing at keeping dust out?

Thanks! The coating is Raptor Liner. I couldn't beat it for the money. Super tough, easy to spray, and a 4 qt kit was enough to cover the whole trailer with two good coats. It's also easy to touch up or respray.

The door seals work great so far. Time will tell how well they hold up, but I can replace them all for $15 in 5 minutes if I need to.

Thanks, I bought the same seal and considered sending it back because of how thin it is. I will pay close attention to gaps and should be good.

I’m hoping you get a chance to weigh this trailer. Really great design! What size tube did you use for the frame? Wall thickness?

I’m hoping you get a chance to weigh this trailer. Really great design! What size tube did you use for the frame? Wall thickness?

Thanks!! The majority of the frame is 2x2x.120 with a little bit of 2x4x.120. The 2-pc draw bar is 2.5x2.5x.25 and 3x3x.25. Fenders and doors are 1x1x.065 to .090. I saved a lot of weight with the 18-ga top, doors, and sides and 16-ga floor.

Fab'd a homebrew shower mat from hardwood strips and shock cord, sealed it, and mounted it next to the shower on the fender with HDPE strips (leftover from my body lift puck sheet) and V-rings. Wanted to keep the wet/dirty stuff outside the trailer. It just so happened the shower mat was the same length as the fender so it worked out great.

027-36.jpg
027-37.jpg

Added a 4-light rock light kit for area lighting that doesn't blind the sh*t out of everyone. Supposed to be 9W per light but it only draws 1.8A total... hmm. Still plenty bright and all for under 40 bucks with splitter harness. With the kitchen lights and these rock lights, the whole area is lit up with plenty of useful, non-blinding light at under 5A total.

027-46.jpg

Last edited:
Those welds are like artwork! Super fine job......maybe you should be selling these trailers!

Those welds are like artwork! Super fine job......maybe you should be selling these trailers!

Thanks man! Not exactly where I want to be yet but I always try my best!

The fridge slide and compartment was originally designed for the Dometic CFX-75DZW but that thing is pricey. I decided to try out the Whynter FM65G first. It's 10L smaller but half the price of the Dometic and fits perfectly in its place. As soon as it arrived I finished building out the slide and primered/painted/reinstalled. I have a 100W folding solar panel on the way to replenish the system.

027-38.jpg

027-39.jpg

027-40.jpg

027-41.jpg

027-42.jpg

Any details on lift up awning?i would like to do this on each side over tires to also hold two kayaks and a awning on passenger side and shower /toilet area on drivers side.

Any details on lift up awning?i would like to do this on each side over tires to also hold two kayaks and a awning on passenger side and shower /toilet area on drivers side.

They're really a simple design. There's a fixed sleeve for each sliding post. The posts have two positions, fully extended or fully retracted, and are locked in either position with pop pins. Attached to the awning are two sliding sleeves with knobbed bolts that act as set screws to hold the awning at any variable height on the extended posts.

To deploy, the two posts are extended first, with the awning still sitting at it's lowest position. The knobs are then loosened and the awning lifts to the desired height. Then just tighten the knobs. Takes all of 15 seconds.

Whats your welding technique,machine,push,pull etc?
Awesome work!

Thanks, still learning every day! I have a Miller 211 (old version). The type of joint and the orientation, material type and thickness, and direction of travel really determines what motion/technique I try and whether I push or pull. I wish I could tell you I use one method but it just really depends on the situation.

Ever thought of teaching welding? This trailer build is great! A lot to learn from your build!

Ever thought of teaching welding? This trailer build is great! A lot to learn from your build!

Well I am, in fact, a Youtube-certified welder 🤘 . If you guys wanna learn how to make some hammered dog sh*t beads or swiss cheese dimes I'm your guy.

Thanks for the kind words about the trailer!

Sorry if I missed this somewhere in here......any details on the electrical setup? See a battery and some gauges of some sort, shore power plug and maybe a NOCO Genius charger in the shots posted. Just curious about how the electrical is arranged. Nice setup for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom