Complete noob with question about first FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everybody,

Completely new person to FJ40’s here, and also a noob on the site (read a lot but just joined). So I hope I’m in the right place and apologize if I am not.

I have wanted an FJ40 since I was a teenager. I am in my forties now and am now looking to finally buy one. Trying to go with a cheap fixer upper that is already road worthy and drivable for my first.

I have found this one and have been talking with the owner and it seems solid. He has sent videos of starting it up and of it running, he has also sent multiple pictures of the underside. I have shown it to a cousin that is a mechanic and he seems to think it looks ok from what he can tell.

Neither one of us are experts in FJ40’s and neither one of us has ever even driven one. So I thought I’d ask some experts if there is anything glaring the seems to be an issue or red flag with this one.

There seems to be a little bit of rust, but not bad. Also, it had been used as a plow at some point in its past. Owner says it starts and runs fine.

It is two states over, so I am unable to test drive it or go look at it.

Also, this maybe a stupid question, but I thought I had read that the big single door in the back (not the ambulance doors) was a South American thing, and that some South American FJ’s may not be able to take the top off (something I definitely want to be able to do). Is there any truth to that?

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

9F23D59D-7077-45FF-A989-FC24119199AD.png

0F388FCA-E9FB-451F-A827-04C670538B16.png

0C4F6892-BCEA-4DCA-92E9-37AD5921B8E8.png

B419787B-637D-4DAB-8D1C-C8E1086F71C4.png

C11E1744-86C9-47CA-8068-5583EBDFD8FF.png

Regarding your original cruiser, I can't say with 100% certainty but darn close this was for sale in Craig, Co last year for some thing like $4000 or little higher. I called on it to use for plowing snow in front of my hangar but someone had beat me to it. Looks like it has had some shiny wheels and tires added to it. Seats seem to be different also.

Thanks. I think I’m moving on from that one. I appreciate u mentioning that. Never sure if I’m making mistakes by passing on some of these.
I like the light blue one. It looks like it is mostly original and in good condition. You will have plenty of projects, but they all do. It would be good to know the history of the engine and drive train. Good luck.

Looks like a Factory Soft Top (FST) model. The doors look to be original with matching (ugh) paint. If the rust isn't any worse than shown (but probably is), and it's complete (all the small FST bits and soft top bows, it might be worth what he's asking.

Still not enough detail to make a good judgement.
I agree on the factory soft top, or FST in ‘mud speak. Drop down one-piece Tailgate, like a pickup,+ mounting for bows in the rear corners inside. That upper hatch will likely not seal to the tailgate very well.
If it’s a US model, It was was born with NO hard doors, just soft doors, so whoever put on the doors/top likely did not have the strikers, etc from the top/doors donor rig. Thus the residential screen door handles.
Maybe the top/doors donor rig was white so they split the difference on the paint.
9/71-9/72 has the 5 piece bench front seat, they can be hard to find in 5 pieces so if the buckets work then you should run ‘em.
I think Before 9/71 was 4 piece bench and after was 2 bucket seats. Buckets hold your butt in better and are less bouncy.
If the F motor runs, it’s fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom