Complete brake replacement, need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brakes are relatively routine.. you can do this job over a weekend. Take you time do one side at a time. As far as parts, Highly recommend Toyota Brakes Pads. I would suggest stepping up to Cryo Slotted Rotors (Power Slot or StopTech).. I have had great result with them.
Now to throw a monkey wrench in your plans: Have you thought about rebuilding your knuckles while you are at it. Doing the front rotor, you are going to be deep in there. Think about it.
GL

You can talk to the parts department at your Toyota dealer and ask for the "offroad Toyota forum" discount. It worked at my local dealer, only took a couple days to get the parts in and no shipping charges plus brought in the cores for a straight swap, again no shipping charges for cores (for the calipers).

A 13/16" socket hammered on over the locking nut will hold and allow you to unthread the locking lug nut. I was able to remove all four of mine this way and the socket was still usable afterward. My lock nuts are all in the trash, I see no need for the things.

Was this the dealer in Cool Springs? I would like to stop in and have them give me an estimate just so I could have a laugh and tell them how stupid they are. As long as you get a free tow home I guess it doesn't matter but I seriously doubt that it was ever disassembled. That just sounds like a pressure selling technique.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding a rear axle and all the brake parts are less then 250 after core swap from rockauto.com. I call be on too rusty, I'm reusing half the parts off my junkyard sourced rear axle because they are fine...

A 13/16" socket hammered on over the locking nut will hold and allow you to unthread the locking lug nut. I was able to remove all four of mine this way and the socket was still usable afterward. My lock nuts are all in the trash, I see no need for the things.

X2

Was this the dealer in Cool Springs?

Phil, no not Cool Springs. It was Beaman Toyota near downtown Nashville. I haven't looked over their quote line by line but I think they may have just wanted to quote it ridiculously high because they didn't really want to do the work. Would have been interesting to hear what another dealer would have quoted though.

Anyway, I've got it towed home now and will start tearing into it this weekend. The old brakes are still there and working but the dealer's concern with driving it is that the calipers could become stuck open just as easily as they sometimes get stuck closed (bad slide pins). I've got a set of Power Stop K1155 cross-drilled and slotted rotors coming from Amazon but they won't arrive until early next week, so in the meantime I'll spend some time seeing if the calipers are really worth rebuilding or not. As for pads, the Power Stop kit comes with a set of ceramic pads gratis so I'll try those for awhile. Might step up to the EBC yellows if I don't like these.

And locking lug nuts have been permanently removed. Bought the truck with them already on there about a year ago and haven't had a need to take the rims off until just now.

I also did a video on this. May give another perspective -
Also, if you have a mall with a Sears in it nearby, a Craftsman 2 1/8" socket will also fit the two axle nuts. It's just deep enough.

Rear brakes here when your done w/ front -

...via IH8MUD app

Last edited:
I ordered parts from Duiser to rebuild the knuckles, new rotors, and tune up the brakes. I was able to re-use my calipers. I don't know the Duiser guys and this was my first time to buy from them. They have good customer service and great instructional videos. The parts were competitively priced, too.

This is a dirty job, but not difficult.

Replace your soft brakelines if you're replacing the calipers. Not much extra work since you'll need to bleed the whole system anyway.

Replace your soft brakelines if you're replacing the calipers. Not much extra work since you'll need to bleed the whole system anyway.

Yea, it's a while you're in there thing. Might as well replace the soft lines, there are 7 total, not 6 as it may initially appear. The 7th one is usually missed, rear center. Don't order a new LSPV valve, highly likely that is a waste of money. Invest in brake fluid companies, then sell right after you're brakes are perfect.

I have a 2003 LC will video apply to my application?

Yes, at least in my two videos, I discuss the small differences in the 80s and 100s LCs and show clips of my 2003 in there. Should be good to go. Clay

A qualified bump here - I followed the videos posted above and essentially also got through my first-ever front brake upgrade as well. The '92 has smaller rotors so swapped those out for the larger ones, 100-series pads and despite having some "first timer" challenges, got through it and learned a TON. For those wondering whether they can do this or not, YOU CAN. Follow the advice provided, make sure you've got the necessary tools and time to get it done, and you can knock it out.

THX MUDDERS!

What's the part number for the for the 100 rotors and pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom