Complete A/C system replacement? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't be afraid to replace the oil in the fan clutch you have in your truck. You will need/want to adjust to engagement temp too. It is a lot simpler to do than R&R and AC system. I used 10k oil simply because I could get it quick. Works excellent up here in PA.

my .00002 cents ..

I live in a place with 84F - 110F temps all year around and 90% plus humidity 10 months a year .. even with tip top cooling system / fan clutch, extra cooling via electric fans for the condenser are the only solution to keep temps / pressure down on the AC system while idling or low speed driving ( trail or traffic in the town )

Edit: recently I did my hole system I have dual AC ( factory ) and fridge ( factory too ) under normal conditions temp at vents sits around 55F ( idling or slow driving ) only when raining or moving HW speeds come to 50 ( and depending on external conditions ).

It must be night and raining to get under 50 .. without extra cooling by electric fans

@flintknapper Made it back to DC from TN. AC ran great the whole way back, which was good since it was POURING rain and the interior would have fogged up for sure. Since then I've driven the LC around in various situations, monitoring coolant temp the whole time. Ambient air temp has ranged from 71-85 degrees and Ive driven in traffic and on the highway. So far Coolant temp hasn't peaked above 181F, mostly staying around 179-180 as long as the car is moving. I'm sure those temps are going to climb when the its 95F outside and Im sitting in traffic, but for now it looks good.

@flintknapper Made it back to DC from TN. AC ran great the whole way back, which was good since it was POURING rain and the interior would have fogged up for sure. Since then I've driven the LC around in various situations, monitoring coolant temp the whole time. Ambient air temp has ranged from 71-85 degrees and Ive driven in traffic and on the highway. So far Coolant temp hasn't peaked above 181F, mostly staying around 179-180 as long as the car is moving. I'm sure those temps are going to climb when the its 95F outside and Im sitting in traffic, but for now it looks good.

Thanks for the update. Glad you made it back OK. Coolant temps are right where they need to be under those conditions. Continue to monitor them in hotter weather. Yes, they will be higher, we expect that. As long as they don't exceed 205°-208°F then they are not affecting the A/C significantly.

Lets let the A/C run as-is for now and see what your vent temps are at highway speeds vs. at idle or in town driving. I think you are OK, but we can fine tune it if need be. R134a systems tend to run coolest when charged on the low side of the recommended charge, you might be slightly overcharged, but lets see how it does. Keep us updated.

Good Work!

Flint.

Sounds great and a huge THANK YOU for all of your help. Seriously could not have done it without your help, and so glad I was able to. Also, thanks to everyone else who helped along the way!

I was pretty crushed when the mechanic originally quoted me 4000.00 to fix a LC I had just bought for 6k, having sold a car with working AC to to so! But after your help, the resources on this site, the FSM and some patience it wasn't as bad as I thought!

Sounds great and a huge THANK YOU for all of your help. Seriously could not have done it without your help, and so glad I was able to. Also, thanks to everyone else who helped along the way!

I was pretty crushed when the mechanic originally quoted me 4000.00 to fix a LC I had just bought for 6k, having sold a car with working AC to to so! But after your help, the resources on this site, the FSM and some patience it wasn't as bad as I thought!

Man that statement right there is exactly why I've spend real energy learning the skills I have. I have a tendency to buy vehicles that are either specialized, or maintenance intensive (BMWs, Ducatis, etc). I cant afford to pay shop labor rates for that stuff. So I listen to people who know (@flintknapper for example) and I expect to make mistakes along the way, but I will only make them once.

Man that statement right there is exactly why I've spend real energy learning the skills I have. I have a tendency to buy vehicles that are either specialized, or maintenance intensive (BMWs, Ducatis, etc). I cant afford to pay shop labor rates for that stuff. So I listen to people who know (@flintknapper for example) and I expect to make mistakes along the way, but I will only make them once.

I totally agree. My fleet of cars (94' cruiser with 295k miles, 04' BMW 325xiT and 00' BMW M roadster) would bankrupt me if I had to pay shop rates for every little repair. I figure I can use high quality parts (OEM or equivalent) and my own labor and still come out way ahead.

The beauty of this forum is how easy it is to get not only information but encouragement as well. No longer do we have to wrench solo looking over a generic chilton manual with nobody to reach out to besides the neighbor who's only wrenched on pickup trucks from the 1960's.

if I had to pay shop rates for every little repair. I figure I can use high quality parts (OEM or equivalent) and my own labor and still come out way ahead.

^^^^^^ Even if you don't come out way ahead....many DIY repairs will be done 'better' by you than by someone else.

Now, obviously...we need to consider which jobs to tackle and which ones to leave to a pro or at least someone with more experience. I think that goes without saying.

My personal philosophy on it is as follows:

IF I can do the job (have the time, understand what is needed) and get the same or better result as having someone else do it, then I am definitely going to look into it.

IF the cost (including tools needed) will be less or roughly the same...then I will gladly purchase tools and other items in order to do a repair/maintenace.

Any tools or other items you have to purchase are 'assets' that can be kept for future use or sold if you don't need them. Its like getting them for free...if you had to pay someone else's fee to repair your vehicle.

My labor (spare time) is FREE. I have to chuckle at those who remark "my time is worth something" (monetarily speaking), when working on their OWN project. Wow...what a sense of self importance. Pffffft......!

So be smart about it. Consider whether or not it is worth the trouble, fits into your lifestyle and if you are confident enough that you can do the job reasonably well.

These days, with the plethora of information available to us....a LOT of repairs can be done by the DIYer (if you can simply follow instructions). Well...that and weed out the good from the bad information.

My hat is off to all those who tackle the jobs they can...and then go that extra mile to share it with others. It would be hard to find a site that has members as helpful and courteous as I have found here.

Good job guys!

^^^^^^ Even if you don't come out way ahead....many DIY repairs will be done 'better' by you than by someone else.

Now, obviously...we need to consider which jobs to tackle and which ones to leave to a pro or at least someone with more experience. I think that goes without saying.

My personal philosophy on it is as follows:

IF I can do the job (have the time, understand what is needed) and get the same or better result as having someone else do it, then I am definitely going to look into it.

IF the cost (including tools needed) will be less or roughly the same...then I will gladly purchase tools and other items in order to do a repair/maintenace.

Any tools or other items you have to purchase are 'assets' that can be kept for future use or sold if you don't need them. Its like getting them for free...if you had to pay someone else's fee to repair your vehicle.

My labor (spare time) is FREE. I have to chuckle at those who remark "my time is worth something" (monetarily speaking), when working on their OWN project. Wow...what a sense of self importance. Pffffft......!

So be smart about it. Consider whether or not it is worth the trouble, fits into your lifestyle and if you are confident enough that you can do the job reasonably well.

These days, with the plethora of information available to us....a LOT of repairs can be done by the DIYer (if you can simply follow instructions). Well...that and weed out the good from the bad information.

My hat is off to all those who tackle the jobs they can...and then go that extra mile to share it with others. It would be hard to find a site that has members as helpful and courteous as I have found here.

Good job guys!

This is where I have evolved. The single biggest thing that has helped me was buying the 4Runner. That has taken all the stress out of any job. Jobs no longer have a real timer set for them. I don't have to have it up and running again over a weekend. When something comes up, I have the luxury of taking a step back. I feel very fortunate because working on the cruiser is now relaxing and no longer a race against the clock.

This is where I have evolved. The single biggest thing that has helped me was buying the 4Runner. That has taken all the stress out of any job. Jobs no longer have a real timer set for them. I don't have to have it up and running again over a weekend. When something comes up, I have the luxury of taking a step back. I feel very fortunate because working on the cruiser is now relaxing and no longer a race against the clock.

^^^^^^ Excellent point. Something I tend to forget sometimes. Not everyone has a 'back-up' vehicle. If my 80 and 100 were both out of service, I still have two other vehicles we could drive.

But if your current vehicle is your ONLY mode of transportation and 'renting' a vehicle is for some reason not feasible, it could affect how quickly (and well) you might be able to do a repair.

Thank You for bringing that up, it is an important point.

Exactly... having another vehicle is a major game changer if you do your own wrenching. I remember the one vehicle days and how little wrenching I did on it for that exact reason.

IMG_2003.JPG
IMG_2004.JPG
My 80 is my only vehicle so to speak so i plan in advance and buy parts in advance and then make sure i have a full day or two depending on the job before i tackle something. Its not a DD so i can certainly fit in cruiser time during the week if needed....

Exhibit A: i found my super slow leak!! Ive been following along in prep to gut my own a/c system. Yesterday i changed all the shrader valves and pulled my cooling unit. Changed out evap core and expansion valve. Pretty easy job. Not as bad as it has been sometimes made out to be. Today im going after the compressor and drier. Thursday ill have it recharged and hopefully have a bulletproof a/c system good for another 20 years!

^^^^^^^^ Same place I found my leak several years ago.

so i emptied the new compressor of oil. it even states to in its manual. only about 4oz. came out. @flintknapper you have been saying 8oz needs to go in a new compressor so i split it and started to put in 6oz into the H chamber (the larger of the two). but it seems to only want to take about 4oz. is it just really slow to fill? turning the clutch causes bubbles but no movement of the oil. does it matter which chamber it goes into? both? please advise...thanks!

Last edited:
A month ago I replaced my entire 1993 system and thereby converted it to R134a for $529 shipped from Rockauto. Denso condensor and evaporator, brand new (not reman'd) 4seasons compressor, dryer and expansion valve with two year warranty. The job really isn't that hard. Research first.
I took it to a shop I like for servicing and now she blows snow.
I have a HDJ81 Jap import, I think I understand the system now but two things I still don't understand..
1. Where is the evaporator?
2. How do you actually flush the system as my pipes were left open when I bought the truck, I am replacing all parts but not sure how to do it. Also how to I fill it with hat kit at the end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom