Compiled 80 series suspension component spec thread... shocks, coils & more. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I couldn't really find anyone who had done a premium-ish 0" suspension replacement with this combo so here goes...
My lx450 is largely unmodified with stock 275 tires. It not really a DD, but I use it around town for driving to work once in a while and taking the kids places. On camping or motorcycling weekends it gets 6 people, FULL of gear, and a 3,000lb trailer to tow so I have had Firestone airbags in it for 100K miles on the stock springs in Tokico shocks which had been delivering a terrible ride, especially on the highway where a concrete pavement induced resonant shock would jar the whole vehicle around with a front-to-back vibration. It was quite unpleasant and caused car sickness in the 3rd row. I would typically fill the air bags with up to 15 psi, depending on load to support the rear end as the stock LX springs were very tired and soft.

Replacement suspension was Dobinson's 0" lift progressive springs (my wife loves the green) paired Icon 2.0 non-res shocks for 0-3" application. The installation was uneventful except the lower shock bolt on both sides sheared and cost me 2 hours each of extraction time. Next time I'll just jump straight to welding on a nut as soon as the bolt breaks. I retained the air bags, not knowing if I'd need them and I don't remember where I put the rear bump stops.🤔
The first couple hundred miles I was questioning if I screwed up. The ride was pretty rough on the road and only on a good g-out could I tell that there was an improvement. This last weekend we loaded up with 6 people, a moderate amount of gear, and a trailer with 6 motorcycles to go ride. I think the extra weight helped to cycle the suspension and break in the shocks because now it rides a lot smoother and is almost nice. Why almost? I should have done the sway bar bushings. With the shocks now tight the sway REALLY stands out transitioning into a corner. Next up is a full bushing replacement. The stance is 1" high in rear because I forgot that I had put 1" spacers in the rear and they stuck to the coil bucket. Without the spacers it would be level. With the trailer attached and 3 psi in the air bag the rear end squatted 1".

Other thoughts... The suspension rebound in the rear is a little too fast. Maybe exacerbated by the air bags, but I've never found any car to have a slow enough suspension rebound that I'm happy with when the trail gets fun. The Icon is better but it still rebounds too quick.
Going through some g-outs with a heavy load and 3 psi in the 'bags it was bit wallowy.
I don't think I'll need the air bags anymore because the progressive coils only sank about an inch with the trailer. They are staying for now. Occasionally we load up really heavy for a big trip so the air bags might get used then.
There's a lot more down travel available with the Icon shocks. I plan to get swaybar drop brackets for the rear to access some of that travel. I think the front will require brake line extensions at the same time as sway bar brackets.

Overall I'm happy with it but I'll be happier when the sway bar bushings are done. I might have been just as please if I had used Tokico shocks again but then I'd never know about the Icons.

Update: I ran some rough roads over the mountains and the slow speed bump compliance is nothing special. Where these shocks SHINE is on washboard roads. I ran some roads that usually rattle the truck pretty hard and the new Icons it was SO MUCH SMOOTHER especially pushing it up over 30 mph. No rattle in dash or doors like before. I could feel the vibration in my seat, but it was a huge difference in ride quality. My wife barely noticed that we were on washboard roads.

Last edited:
Hey I don’t know a lot about these figures but attached is my alignment print out. It seems good?? Looking for some feedback. Dobinson 3 inch lift with delta 3” radius arms. Nitto 315/75/16 Recon Grapplers. Still need to put on arb bumper back on and need a rear bumper drill. Truck is unloaded in photo.

IMG_5266.jpeg

IMG_5256.jpeg

Hey I don’t know a lot about these figures but attached is my alignment print out. It seems good?? Looking for some feedback. Dobinson 3 inch lift with delta 3” radius arms. Nitto 315/75/16 Recon Grapplers. Still need to put on arb bumper back on and need a rear bumper drill. Truck is unloaded in photo.

View attachment 3416109

View attachment 3416110
How did they adjustment the camber?

it should've been adjusted by the delta radius arms
That adjust caster not camber. That tiny of a change is likely from the slip in the alignment head. 2.7 caster Anit bad. 3 is preferred.

Great thread here guys, still reading through 28 pages worth but great info!

Newer 80 owner here, have had the 94 in my avi for about 8 months now. Running 35s and looking to get to 3" lift, properly, wheeling, adventuring, and crawling (I hate the word overlanding) but still have decent road manners. This is not a DD, but I do drive it 2+ days a week. I should probably start a build thread to document my idiocy.

I am currently running 850 front coils with 30mm spacer, slee plates and J shocks. PO had installed 851s and caster bushings. I replaced all RA bushings with factory rubber. Ride is good, flex is eh (see avi pic, hanging front tire) but my tie rod contact the radius arms from about 1/3 droop on - not good. I am actually looking for more down travel - I found this on post #54 interesting:
One benefit I can see is that the narrower wire allows for a higher free height for a given ride height. That allows you to run lots of down travel at a low ride height. (I believe that's why you get 24" free heights for the Slinky and Dobinson taper 3" kits while only getting 21" for the Icon 3”)

The rear currently has 860 coils from the PO, about 25K miles on them. Putting a GGM passenger side carrier on the rear and will be building a platform and probably carry 200# in tools and parts when adventuring/wheeling - rear suspension needs to be setup once I know what my static/rolling rear weight will be.

Once I settle on the rear setup (was thinking 863 coils) I will be looking for new shocks all around. Might have Radflow tune a set of 2.5 resi-shocks for me, or find a 2.0 non-res that fits my use case. This is not a dedicated crawler, but I want it to be able to crawl, also not triple locked lol

I'm pretty sure I will stick with 35s and am tuning bump stops now. I would have just thrown a 1" body lift on it but I have a low garage ceiling issue...

Going back to read the rest of this thread, here's a pic of my turd and I on Miller Heep Trail

Screenshot_20230922-060701.png

Great thread here guys, still reading through 28 pages worth but great info!

Newer 80 owner here, have had the 94 in my avi for about 8 months now. Running 35s and looking to get to 3" lift, properly, wheeling, adventuring, and crawling (I hate the word overlanding) but still have decent road manners. This is not a DD, but I do drive it 2+ days a week. I should probably start a build thread to document my idiocy.

I am currently running 850 front coils with 30mm spacer, slee plates and J shocks. PO had installed 851s and caster bushings. I replaced all RA bushings with factory rubber. Ride is good, flex is eh (see avi pic, hanging front tire) but my tie rod contact the radius arms from about 1/3 droop on - not good. I am actually looking for more down travel - I found this on post #54 interesting:

The rear currently has 860 coils from the PO, about 25K miles on them. Putting a GGM passenger side carrier on the rear and will be building a platform and probably carry 200# in tools and parts when adventuring/wheeling - rear suspension needs to be setup once I know what my static/rolling rear weight will be.

Once I settle on the rear setup (was thinking 863 coils) I will be looking for new shocks all around. Might have Radflow tune a set of 2.5 resi-shocks for me, or find a 2.0 non-res that fits my use case. This is not a dedicated crawler, but I want it to be able to crawl, also not triple locked lol

I'm pretty sure I will stick with 35s and am tuning bump stops now. I would have just thrown a 1" body lift on it but I have a low garage ceiling issue...

Going back to read the rest of this thread, here's a pic of my turd and I on Miller Heep Trail

View attachment 3437209
I have 850/860’s with 30mm spacer in the front. But normal ome shocks. I want to do the L’s cause from what I understand. Much longer than that stress’s brackets and the arms bind anyway.
But being open open also. Tires touching ground gets you threw. So im torn.

Hello everyone,
Trying to do something a bit different than most. Asking for advice and contributing a little
Car is a GCC FZJ80 spec (dual tanks, spare tire carrier, PTO winch/York OBA) removed the 2nd/3rd row seats so it's lighter than stock which is the main issue.
In Kuwait there is no rock crawling, just a flat desert with a LOT of man made ruts/washboard/washouts so a trying to make it into a light prerunner - so need longer or more useful travel than stock.

Installed Chinese triple bypass in the front (26.7 inch extended - 10. 5 inch travel - 16.2 inch closed) on king ktfs-69b springs (around 480mm free coil length) didn't work as the coils fall out. It's highly unlikely ill ever flex it but 🤷🏽. Installed factory springs (480mm) and 60mm of spacers - semms good but not ideal obviously.
Haven't ordered rear 3.0 bypass zhocks yet as Im unsure what length works.

Chinese are saying 665m extended length with 256mm travel should be good - equates to 26.2 inch open 16.1 closed and 10 inch travel which is similar to King's 0-2 inch rear lift. Already have OME 866 rear coils but definitely will not work. Too short and too high a spring rate - most ill ever load in the back is 250lbs or so but with the 2nd/3rd row seats removed + 35" on the rear spare carrier that should be even to 100-150?lbs over stock?

Question is what coils should I use for front and back that will stay captive using 26.1-26.7 inch extended length shocks?
All other examples are for heavy trucks which obviously won't work with what im trying to do

I have my eyes on King KTFR-69C and KTRR-70C.
KTFR-69C is 175lb/in spring rate 515mm/525mm total free length.
Ktrr-70c is 150/250lb/in spring rate with
510/520mm free length.
Would they work?
There is another option that is the free height length is 20mm shorter. Would that be a better option and use spacers to level the ride?
Any help is appreciated.

Snapchat-1816675185.jpg

Hello everyone,
Trying to do something a bit different than most. Asking for advice and contributing a little
Car is a GCC FZJ80 spec (dual tanks, spare tire carrier, PTO winch/York OBA) removed the 2nd/3rd row seats so it's lighter than stock which is the main issue.
In Kuwait there is no rock crawling, just a flat desert with a LOT of man made ruts/washboard/washouts so a trying to make it into a light prerunner - so need longer or more useful travel than stock.

Installed Chinese triple bypass in the front (26.7 inch extended - 10. 5 inch travel - 16.2 inch closed) on king ktfs-69b springs (around 480mm free coil length) didn't work as the coils fall out. It's highly unlikely ill ever flex it but 🤷🏽. Installed factory springs (480mm) and 60mm of spacers - semms good but not ideal obviously.
Haven't ordered rear 3.0 bypass zhocks yet as Im unsure what length works.

Chinese are saying 665m extended length with 256mm travel should be good - equates to 26.2 inch open 16.1 closed and 10 inch travel which is similar to King's 0-2 inch rear lift. Already have OME 866 rear coils but definitely will not work. Too short and too high a spring rate - most ill ever load in the back is 250lbs or so but with the 2nd/3rd row seats removed + 35" on the rear spare carrier that should be even to 100-150?lbs over stock?

Question is what coils should I use for front and back that will stay captive using 26.1-26.7 inch extended length shocks?
All other examples are for heavy trucks which obviously won't work with what im trying to do

I have my eyes on King KTFR-69C and KTRR-70C.
KTFR-69C is 175lb/in spring rate 515mm/525mm total free length.
Ktrr-70c is 150/250lb/in spring rate with
510/520mm free length.
Would they work?
There is another option that is the free height length is 20mm shorter. Would that be a better option and use spacers to level the ride?
Any help is appreciated.

View attachment 3561387
I'd be looking for a medium rate tapered dual rate coil spring. The tapered coils will stay captured when fully extended and won't fall out. The medium rate options are probably limited to Dobinson or Icon in the current market. The Icon coils are best suited for lighter rigs so it could be a good option and will provide about 3" of lift, plenty to fit 35" tires.

I'd be looking for a medium rate tapered dual rate coil spring. The tapered coils will stay captured when fully extended and won't fall out. The medium rate options are probably limited to Dobinson or Icon in the current market. The Icon coils are best suited for lighter rigs so it could be a good option and will provide about 3" of lift, plenty to fit 35" tires.
Thank you for your reply.
Problem is finding someone that will ship internationally.

I imagine these are what you suggested?

Thank you for your reply.
Problem is finding someone that will ship internationally.

I imagine these are what you suggested?
Those are probably the correct springs. Take a look at this post from the first page of this thread that has more information on the Icon parts.

Those are probably the correct springs. Take a look at this post from the first page of this thread that has more information on the Icon parts.
Many thanks for your generous help. Problem is im on the other side of the globe and couldn't find anyone that shops Icon/Slinky stuff Internationally. Contacted Dobinson and will see what they have to say.

Now onto contributing something

Car has no rear 2nd /3rd row seats, factory pto winch + York oba
Previously had factory winch springs + 6cm of spacers which gave a 54-55cm hub to fender .

Got king ktfs-69c springs from australia a week ago and installed them two days ago and it resulted in the same 54-55cm hub to fender with no spacers which is what I wanted - equals a 2inch or 45mm lift or so. Ride is pretty much same as factory springs.
Rear OME 866 coils (yes 100/200/300 series landcruiser coils work on 80 series - all same at the back and im pretty sure the shocks are the same just different lengths ) is equal to a 2" lift (55cm hub to flare) on an empty no 2nd/3rd row seat FZJ80 with a 35" D range tire on rear oem spare tire carrier
Not recommended as they will sag quickly upon any load.

Eibach springs specs for those wondering. I didn't see them listed on the pages that I checked on this thread.
The following information was received through Eibach directly

My experience has been that the Eibach springs are a more comfortable ride than the OME on my Sequoia. Currently running 2851 and 2860 OME on my 80. Eibach on order.

Eibach front springs

Model E30-82-085-01-20 80 series
Spring Rate 175lbs/in
Bar Diameter 15.75mm
Free height 544mm/21.42"

Eibach rear springs

Model E30-086-01-02 100 series -
Spring Rate 150lb/in
Bar Diameter 16 1/4mm
Free height 531mm/20.9"

Model E30-82-085-01-02 80 series
Rate 200lb/in
Bar 17 1/4mm
Height 487mm/19.17"

Model E30-82-085-02-02 80 series heavy duty
Rate 250lb/in
Bar 18 1/4mm
Height 491mm/19.33"

I didn't know Eibach had different spring rates for the rear. Good to know. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom