comments on CCOT HFS suspension (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing I should mention about the HFS. You will need slightly extended shackles (1-1/2 is sufficient) if using H-shaped shackles. I believe the military wrap on the shackle end of the HFS springs will rub on the horizontal bar of a standard length shackle. I don't think there is a problem when using OEM or OEM-style shackles (no center bar).

Radd Cruisers said:
They SUCK.............

My customer put them in and then pulled them to rearch them, they are flat again and Ccot did nothing for him from the get go.

Do a search and you will find our comments and a mail from Ccot.
It is amazing what can be posted... Unfortunately, we are forced to respond to prevent so much one sided misinformation from being published and causing damage to the otherwise great reputation of the HFS "Lift " Spring -

The springs that Radd refers to are not even the heavy duty HFS "Lift" Springs that we sell today or the springs that this thread is about. They were a rear pair of much lighter duty HFS "Leveler" Springs (discontinued) which were designed to level the rear of a stock FJ60/62. HFS "Leveler" Springs are not at all apples to apples to the much heavier HFS "Lift" Springs, either in function or price. "Leveler" Springs (2 rear springs) were made to level the rear of a sagging FJ60/62. HFS "Leveler" Springs have been discontinued since 9/19/2004.

Compare the HFS "Lift" Springs to the much flatter HFS "Leveler" Springs.

Springs-Leveler-Disc.jpg

The Canadian Customer referred to by Radd purchased (2 ea.) FJ60 HFS rear "Leveler" Springs (not HFS "Lift" Springs - 4ea.) and 2.5" extended shackles to try to make up a cheaper lift equivalent to the HFS lift height. Not looking at his specific order, I think I also remember him ordering taller (than factory) Lift Shocks that might be too long for "Leveler" springs. He did not purchase our HFS "Lift" Springs. He was trying to build an equivalent lift to the HFS lift, but for much less money @ close-out prices. He was told prior to purchase that HFS "Leveler" Springs don't have near the lift (free height) as do the HFS "Lift" Springs and that taller shackles /shocks would not make up the height difference he was trying to achieve. CCOT (Gaylon) tried to talk the Customer out of this set up, but it was like the Customer thought we were trying to steer him away from his smarter concocted lift to sell him the more expensive HFS "Lift" Springs.

This Canadian Customer insisted he wanted the HFS "Leveler" Springs anyway, and we agreed as long as he agreed that there would be no returns if this "Jerry Rigged Lift" did not accomplish the lift height he wanted...

It's very expensive to ship heavy springs from TX to Canada and we did not want him asking us to be responsible for return shipping, because we believed this set up may not work and we told him so. He agreed to the terms and conditions of his purchase being a final sale due to his experimentation. Now we read about him being wronged by CCOT, who could not have done more to discourage his attempt to "Jerry Rig" Leveler springs, shackles and shocks into a Lift kit.

Our lift spring formula for the HFS FJ40 - FJ60 - FJ62 springs has proven to be excellent and no modifications have been made to these spring lift formulas since 12/11/03. Changes may be made to the formula in the future as long as it does not compromise the success of our current spring formulas. It cost plenty to get these springs correct and we are slow to make changes to formulas that we know work.

We are defenseless, however, against one sided stories unless we respond. One sided stories falsely lead others away from products that they absolutely would benefit from. Our HFS "Lift" Springs are mounted on all of our STOCK Land Cruiser test vehicles and they all sit squarely with proper shackle angles and have comfortable rides...

Thanks - CCOT

P.S. Who is responsible for Libel publications against a business? (Libel being false publications / writings in print that damages a business or product's reputation)

Last edited:
I have had nothing but good experiences in my dealings with CCOT. Very clear cut explanation above. Everything is good with CCOT in my book. Next time I need springs they will most likely be HFS 4" lift.

Greg

Just took FJ40 for first offroad ride after HFS 4 inch lift. I like it a lot! Also installed the 1.5 inch greaseable barbell shackles on front and rear and 4 degree shims in front. Used OME greaseble frame pins from TPI and these are very well constructed. The '76 FJ40 rides well and sits just like advertised with 33 inch tires. Have not flexed it fully as rutted roads are about as rough as it gets in flat sandy florida. Install went without any issues except that top front shock pins supplied will not fit shock towers because they are too short. CCOT offered to resolve this. Most people will use existing shock pins so no big deal but one of mine was no good. As forewarned by CCOT the front sits a bit higher because of the lighter 350. Front driveshaft angle is a bit steep so this may need to be addressed. Any suggestions on this?

ChuckD

We just installed the 4" kit and wheeled the 40 at the Razorback Ramble with great results. The comment on the shackles is true. The wrap does just about hit the cross bar. We also found that the wrap on the rear of the front springs hit the frame for about a day. Doesn't do it now??? Great ride.

Later,

"P.S. Who is responsible for Libel publications against a business? (Libel being false publications / writings in print that damages a business or product's reputation)"

Don't spend any money in that pursuit - libel and slander protections extend to persons but not to businesses.

CCOT said:
It is amazing what can be posted... Unfortunately, we are forced to respond to prevent so much one sided misinformation from being published and causing damage to the otherwise great reputation of the HFS "Lift " Spring -

The springs that Radd refers to are not even the heavy duty HFS "Lift" Springs that we sell today or the springs that this thread is about. They were a rear pair of much lighter duty HFS "Leveler" Springs (discontinued) which were designed to level the rear of a stock FJ60/62. HFS "Leveler" Springs are not at all apples to apples to the much heavier HFS "Lift" Springs, either in function or price. "Leveler" Springs (2 rear springs) were made to level the rear of a sagging FJ60/62. HFS "Leveler" Springs have been discontinued since 9/19/2004.

Compare the HFS "Lift" Springs to the much flatter HFS "Leveler" Springs.

Springs-Leveler-Disc.jpg

The Canadian Customer referred to by Radd purchased (2 ea.) FJ60 HFS rear "Leveler" Springs (not HFS "Lift" Springs - 4ea.) and extended shackles to try to make up a cheaper lift equivalent to the HFS lift height. Not looking at his specific order, I think I also remember him ordering taller (than factory) Lift Shocks that might be too long for "Leveler" springs. He did not purchase our HFS "Lift" Springs. He was trying to build an equivalent lift to the HFS lift, but for much less money @ close-out prices. He was told prior to purchase that HFS "Leveler" Springs don't have near the lift (free height) as do the HFS "Lift" Springs and that taller shackles /shocks would not make up the height difference he was trying to achieve. CCOT (Gaylon) tried to talk the Customer out of this set up, but it was like the Customer thought we were trying to steer him away from his smarter concocted lift to sell him the more expensive HFS "Lift" Springs.

This Canadian Customer insisted he wanted the HFS "Leveler" Springs anyway, and we agreed as long as he agreed that there would be no returns if this "Jerry Rigged Lift" did not accomplish the lift height he wanted...

It's very expensive to ship heavy springs from TX to Canada and we did not want him asking us to be responsible for return shipping, because we believed this set up may not work and we told him so. He agreed to the terms and conditions of his purchase being a final sale due to his experimentation. Now we read about him being wronged by CCOT, who could not have done more to discourage his attempt to "Jerry Rig" Leveler springs, shackles and shocks into a Lift kit.

Our lift spring formula for the HFS FJ40 - FJ60 - FJ62 springs has proven to be excellent and no modifications have been made to these spring lift formulas since 12/11/03. Changes may be made to the formula in the future as long as it does not compromise the success of our current spring formulas. It cost plenty to get these springs correct and we are slow to make changes to formulas that we know work.

We are defenseless, however, against one sided stories unless we respond. One sided stories falsely lead others away from products that they absolutely would benefit from. Our HFS "Lift" Springs are mounted on all of our STOCK Land Cruiser test vehicles and they all sit squarely with proper shackle angles and have comfortable rides...

Thanks - CCOT

P.S. Who is responsible for Libel publications against a business? (Libel being false publications / writings in print that damages a business or product's reputation)

Bottom line, you sold him levelers that did not level that went flatter than a 20 year old set of springs.

He was not trying to lift the vehicle as it has factory front springs, only trying to achieve factory height in the rear...

The truck as of Friday now resides in the US and I did not get a chance to do something about the rear springs before it left our shop.

PS, I do appologize for generalizing the SUCK part, I was speaking about the leveler springs and not the HFS lift.

Rob

Last edited:
CCOT said:
Thanks - CCOT

Wow, it is funny, in this whole thread the only thing that makes me truly not want to get the HFS springs is this last nugget.

Give the truth, then let people decide.

dont make threats..

X4 and not to turn this into a CCoT bash but I have never been truly happy with anything I've bought from them to quote someone I respect. They couldn't even tell me what pressure rating the cap is they supply with their 4-core JF40 radiator.

But I have bought and used their stuff simply because there wasn't an alternative (I refuse to use $OR because of their arrogence). Or if there was a considerable price difference between their stuff and OE and I didn't want to pony up.

x5, and I will add that my BDS springs sagged after the first year. Same manufacturer. You do have to wonder why every year they have to come out with a new, improved version.

Just installed 4" HFS lift on FJ40

Texican just installed a 4" lift on my 73 FJ40 and although I haven't had it in the sticks yet, I can comment on 2 areas:

1.) They are very stiff and with the top off, it's kinda hard on your kidneys. It's not so much stiff and bumpy, but long-action springy bounces (feels like 4 or 5 inches of bounce). I expect this to be normal and plan on weighting it down with an all-metal car hauler for a few days.

2.) Need to have the driveshaft lengthened. It's ok for most street driving, but it looks like there's only about an inch of travel left on the splines.

All in all - it's good.

I've never run either set but I do have a 4" lift that I plan on ditching for an SOA with stock-length/height springs.

Speaking of CCoT I haven't had a problem with them. I ordered the TRE's they sold and when I called and complained about how weak and how much of a PITA they were to install properly they promptly refunded my ENTIRE cost and told me when I found a better alternative to just chuck the set I bought from them.

Good luck with the springs choice.

On my install, stock length shackles wouldn't work - they didn't allow the springs sufficient movement and creaked something awfull. I now have 1.5" front/2.5" rear over shackles and they still creak -some-. The 5/8 greasable bolts came with *pressed in* zerk fittings. I immediately removed that crap and drilled and tapped for stock m6x1.0 zerks. Good thing too, as I snapped one off at GSMTR and was easily able to replace it in camp.

The shocks suck. For that price, they should be gas filled vs the low price oil filled ones in the kit. I will replace them at some point. I did lengthen my driveshafts, as there was no choice with the amount of splines showing.

Somewhere down the line I can see a spring over, but until then, the HFS will stay on.

Overall, I wish the OME's I took off were 4 inch lift - but they only come in 2.5". They are a better designed suspension kit imo, albeit a bit short in length. The HFS is a good second.

just installed the 4 inch HFS lift

Hey all,

I just completed the install last week of the 4 inch HFS kit, got the 2.5 inch greasable shackles to go with it, greasable spring hangars, and 6 degree shims. It does ride pretty nice although it does bounce a just little more than before, very pleased overall. A little pricey compared to most other lift kits available but out of the box ride comfort and sweet shackle angle I think is worth the extra $$$. Install was fairly staight forward, had to run a longer rear brake line and get the rear driveshaft lengthened, which turned out to be a complete nightmare. Also had to pop off and reseat the steering wheel to make it straight again. Put on some new 34x10.5's (pic) and then switched back to my 32x11.5's going to go with 35x12.5 as soon as I can sell the 34x10.5's. More than enough clearance to run the 35's.
attachment.php

I have always had good dealings with CCOT. HE was just defending his product...no harm in that. Everyone just relax and grab another cold one!!

later
Ryan

"Classic McClung"

Mace said:
Wow, it is funny, in this whole thread the only thing that makes me truly not want to get the HFS springs is this last nugget.

Give the truth, then let people decide.

dont make threats..

I run the 4" HFS springs with a 2 1/2 MAF shackle, I love the ride and flex, Not liking the shock selection I run OME shocks which helped the ride even more, I had SOR springs and Pro Comp shocks, and my body was the suspension.
Good money spent in my mind, CCOT service is ok, no better or worse than anybody else, just a vendor

I have the BDS lift version and have for a couple years...no sag...a little bouncy...but a heavy spring setup. No complaints....even with the cruiser lean...which I dont really care about.

I have generally also had great service from CCOT....had some problems with a console but everything else has been above and beyond what I expected.

I also have no issue with his response...if a person is able to criticize and attack their reputation then they should be able to respond in kind....plus CCOT did not say the customer SUCKED as was said about them...they just gave the facts.

I call it even....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom