Collision damage - can this be fixed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was hit from behind by a full-sized GMC truck and pushed into the car in front of me. The trailer hitch was pushed down and bent the rear frame on both sides. The spare was pushed into the panhard rod hard enough to put a bend in it. Both bumpers, the tailgate, and a front fender are smashed up. The hatch has some damage, but still fits and works. I didn't notice any obvious problems as I drove a few miles home. The steering box leaked a few ounces over two days.

The GMC driver's insurance company wants to total the Cruiser. I could get it from them cheaply with a salvage title.

Does this damage look like it could reasonably be fixed so that it can continue to be my daily driver?

rear.jpg

front.jpg

frame-drivers.jpg

frame-passengers.jpg

Nothing pertaining to a bent frame can be "reasonably fixed". Hopefully you have a buddy in the body shop business! If damage is solely isolated to frame rails behind rear axle then you are in better shape. I'd have someone that knows what they are doing check the geometry specific to the driveline. Lots of folks cut off the rear cross member for custom bumpers so that piece doesn't concern me, but if it is tweaked forward of the rear axle then I'd give her a kiss and send her on her way. Since it is belching PS fluid be mindful of potential damage to front axle. Bent frame and rebuilding an axle gets pricey quick! Also find out what they are valuing your 80 at, protest that and hopefully get a little more. If they tell you to pound sand, tell them your neck hurts and that you haven't been able to get an erection since the accident! Good luck!

I am not sure that will rub out...

(Awaiting the gurus to weigh in...best of luck.)

Ouch. The kinking of the frame is not good.

You need to find a top-notch frame shop and get their opinions. If you get it cheaply enough, and it's unfixable, part it out.

Wow that sux! I've been rear ended more times than I can remember. Once coming home from a doctor I went to for neck pain from being rear ended two weeks before!

I sincerely hope your baby can be saved. Good luck.

That damage was made worse by the hitch being there? If so I'd consider taking mine off! It's been a few years, I'm about due to get smacked into any time now... :frown:

I wouldn't call it dead yet if it were me. First as others have said is to make sure the frame can be straightened. If a shop can (most likely). Then have the front end checked, ie: why is the box leaking? if it is a minimal fix and no major damage, then no worries. Fix the rear frame and the issues up front first.

Once that is done, order up a 4x4 labs bumper, new front bumper and get a body shop to pound out that front dent (or grab a hammer). Roll some bed liner on the side of the car after you rip off your flares. Then go wheel.

Noah

Thanks for the replies. I also wondered if the hitch was a damage multiplier. I think that without the hitch there would have been major bending of the frame cross member that runs behind the bumper. But that might have been more fixable than the kinked frame rails.

I got a recommendation on a body shop that I will checking with.

Parting it out may be the best idea. But I don't have the time or space to take that on. If anyone in Arizona is interested in buying it to part out, let me know.

LC has to be on a frame machine. The bent portion will be cut out and new steel welded. More straightening on machine. Not a cheap fix, even if you knew someone at a collision center. Nothing cheap for that fix!

Having run a frame machine for a short while I can give a solid opinion.

That "kink" is trouble. You will never "pull" it out. The good news is you don't need to. I would pull the frame and get the other areas in line and then section the rear with a clip from a bone yard. Welding in a new section is not that big of a deal IMHO.

Dang that sucks. A white Arizona 80 might get totaled.

So you say it drives fine? If it were me I would buy it back as cheap as possible and keep on trucking. The salvage title would suck, but if you're like me you're 80 is never being sold so who cares?

The hitch saved the tailgate.

I think the adjuster got it right - it's totaled. Remember, totaling out a vehicle includes what they think they can get for the carcass. So a $6,000 truck that has $4,500 in damage and >= $1500 in parts value = totaled.

I'd heard once years ago that Cruiserdan could still order the actual frame for an 80 series. I'm not sure if that's still true. Still, that route you'd still have $$$$s in labor just to move everything over.

It's toast from an insurance standpoint. The frame looks pretty nasty.

I'd heard once years ago that Cruiserdan could still order the actual frame for an 80 series. I'm not sure if that's still true. Still, that route you'd still have $$$$s in labor just to move everything over.

Frames are discontinued. The last published price was $5,299.18 for a bare frame. I don't see anyone spending that these days.

Fenders are discontinued as well.

I would just let it go, use the money to buy another one based on what you learned from this one.

If you can get it cheap from the insurance company, get it. Parting it out yourself is going to bring in way more, plus having spare parts is a plus. I JUST watched my perfect frame leave otherwise I would say have at it.

Frames are discontinued. The last published price was $5,299.18 for a bare frame. I don't see anyone spending that these days.

Fenders are discontinued as well.

this is a bummer, searched for aftermarket and found nothing? is it true that toyota brings parts in and out of discontinuation? It seems I have seen this happen over the years with the fj40's. I bought my first fj40 in 1990 and since them it seems there is more available for them vs. when I bought it.

FWIW, if this were me I would also look at possibly taking the cash and getting into a 100 series. V8 power, comfort and they do reasonably well off road and carry my whole family. Plus the aftermarket is doing a nice job of providing lots of goodies for them. Just a thought.

Noah

I wouldn't call it dead yet if it were me. First as others have said is to make sure the frame can be straightened. If a shop can (most likely). Then have the front end checked, ie: why is the box leaking? if it is a minimal fix and no major damage, then no worries. Fix the rear frame and the issues up front first.

Once that is done, order up a 4x4 labs bumper, new front bumper and get a body shop to pound out that front dent (or grab a hammer). Roll some bed liner on the side of the car after you rip off your flares. Then go wheel.

Noah

Agree, anything is repairable with enough skill and $$. Totaled just means it's not worth it to the insurance co. What it's worth to you may be very different.

Whatever you do, buy it back. On of the Az guys will take it off your hands to restore or part out.

That trailer hitch really messed up the frame. I would total it, buy it back then buy another 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom