coilovers inside the frame rails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
Can someone point me at a thread or pictures of a 40 with coilovers run inside the frame rails? I've got a packaging problem I'm looking to solve.

I don't know if I've ever seen anyone put coilovers inside the frame. I'm assuming you are looking at coilovers for the rear? Most guys I have seen have either run really bug shock hoops through the fender well, or run coils. I'm not sure what SBG did, but I think it was coils for his rear.

I would assume it could be completely possible, but I think there would be a major packaging problem no running into the floor, especially if you are running a longer Coilover.

Maybe you could run more of a trailing arm setup and run much shorter coilovers on the arm inside the frame. You may lose some triangulation of the links as they aren't as far out as possible, or you may even be able to get them on the outside of the frame.

I don't have a clue about trailing arm geometry, so I may be talking out of my ass here. Just an idea.

Last edited:
just keep in mind the farther inboard they go (as well as the more you angle them inwards) the less stability you'll have. You really want them as far away and as vertical as possible for best stability/control unless you really stiffen up the rates.

Yes, I understand that as they move away from vertical, you lose stiffness and I'd have to get stiffer springs to compensate.

My underlying assumption is, and check me if I'm wrong, that as long as the axle attachment point is as far out as possible, it really doesn't matter how far in the frame mount point is, you just have to adjust the spring rate to compensate.

Last edited:
I don't know if you have gotten brackets yet, but TMR is having a 20% off sale for most of their link brackets till 5/2. I really like their stuff, and their customer service is really good. Shipping is pretty fast as well.

Their links are very pretty.

Proffitt’s Cruisers built a stretched sea foam 40 with coil overs in the rear. The mounts extend through the floor but they did a really nice job of boxing around the mount in the bed. The 40 pictured is what I am referring to, if you do a google search there are plenty of pictures and videos of it online.

6EBE580D-F10B-4526-8798-9409BA72B218.jpeg

So, I found that, it is a good example, but it's almost 14" of stretch that allows them to go forward like that. They not only relieved into the tub, I think they relieved into frame as well. Which is what I'm being told I would have to do to run coil overs outside the frame. And I'm not going that far this go-round. It's beautiful work. It does point out that going front or back (instead of straight up) does eliminate some of the problem of the tire stuff into the spring. If I can't go behind, I'll just go coil and shock.

I'm also realizing that instead of shortening 3 axle housings to match the 4th, I should have lengthened the 4th to match the rest. Nothing I can do about it now, but that was stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom