Code 22 trouble looking for help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellow udders, I have an 88 fj62. I've been running through a series of issues and fixing them as I move along. Initially I had an issue with my vehicle not heating up (on the guage) and the heater did not work either. I assumed it was the thermostat. So I just did a drop in and button up.

Later I found out how to check and clear codes and saw I had a 14 and a 51, briefly had a 71 and I think something else (I'm sure I posted asking about it). I found out that my idle was pretty high (around 1000) and during the fix process it went up. Long story short I followed the instructions in the FSM and fixed the error codes. However, I could not get the idle to drop lower than around 900 after it was warm. I decided to continue to look for issues that would/could lead to the high idle and figured a temperature sensor could make sense if it tells the ecu how much fuel to inject based on the temp of the engine. Weather I was right or wrong in my conclusion I drained the radiator and took apart the thermostat housing. I looked at my cold start injector, the temperature sensor, and the temperature sender. All had corrosion and looked fairly beat up. I took them out and hit them with electronics cleaner. I checked prices on new ones and decided to get a duralast sensor and sender. The cold start injector was like 200 or 400 used (something ridiculous like that) so I just put the old one back in.

Before I made changes to the sensors, I never had any issues with it starting right up. Now it struggles to start but will catch eventually. My water temp guage now works and so does my heater. The idle dropped down to 650 and sounds very nice when it is running. On a sadder note I am throwing code 22.

I have checked fi37 and fi77 and ran several tests. I even connected my old temp sensor dropped it in boiling water then ice water and saw it register change, plugged it directly into the ecu in an effort to bypass the system, but no change in the code. I have cleared the codes numerous times but keep getting this error. I also checked the sensor I have plugged in and it coorilates with page 77 so I think it may be an ecu issue but I really doubt it.

It should be noted the exhaust smells like it is running rich (but this was always an issue, haven't been able to pass smog since I got it).

I'm at a total loss and am getting frustrated at the many gremlins plaguing my pig. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hey fellow udders, I have an 88 fj62. I've been running through a series of issues and fixing them as I move along. Initially I had an issue with my vehicle not heating up (on the guage) and the heater did not work either. I assumed it was the thermostat. So I just did a drop in and button up.

Later I found out how to check and clear codes and saw I had a 14 and a 51, briefly had a 71 and I think something else (I'm sure I posted asking about it). I found out that my idle was pretty high (around 1000) and during the fix process it went up. Long story short I followed the instructions in the FSM and fixed the error codes. However, I could not get the idle to drop lower than around 900 after it was warm. I decided to continue to look for issues that would/could lead to the high idle and figured a temperature sensor could make sense if it tells the ecu how much fuel to inject based on the temp of the engine. Weather I was right or wrong in my conclusion I drained the radiator and took apart the thermostat housing. I looked at my cold start injector, the temperature sensor, and the temperature sender. All had corrosion and looked fairly beat up. I took them out and hit them with electronics cleaner. I checked prices on new ones and decided to get a duralast sensor and sender. The cold start injector was like 200 or 400 used (something ridiculous like that) so I just put the old one back in.

Before I made changes to the sensors, I never had any issues with it starting right up. Now it struggles to start but will catch eventually. My water temp guage now works and so does my heater. The idle dropped down to 650 and sounds very nice when it is running. On a sadder note I am throwing code 22.

I have checked fi37 and fi77 and ran several tests. I even connected my old temp sensor dropped it in boiling water then ice water and saw it register change, plugged it directly into the ecu in an effort to bypass the system, but no change in the code. I have cleared the codes numerous times but keep getting this error. I also checked the sensor I have plugged in and it coorilates with page 77 so I think it may be an ecu issue but I really doubt it.

It should be noted the exhaust smells like it is running rich (but this was always an issue, haven't been able to pass smog since I got it).

I'm at a total loss and am getting frustrated at the many gremlins plaguing my pig. Any thoughts or suggestions?
One more thing I figured I could add is that the CEL doesn't go away under any circumstance, and it is immediate, meaning the ECU, or the engine system hasn't actually taken any feedback about how the engine is running. The ECU thinks the system is faulty during Boot Up.

I ran through the 22 issues as well on my FJ62. The sensor and the connector/terminals were bad. It would cause my idle to race randomly. Terrible experience. I know its frustrating but you will prevail! :)
So you put in a new EFI sensor, how do the wires and terminals look? With the new sensor installed, its reading the correct ohms according to the FSM at the measured temp? Does giving the harness a light jiggle change anything with the engine running (testing for a bad connection within the bundle along the engine, especially the hard bend at the back of the head).
As for the cold start injector, you can get them refurbished. No need to buy new usually. Also, when was the last time you adjusted the throttle position sensor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom