Close to buying a new 200 LC. Asking for thoughts and comments on my 2 concerns.. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At this point, lack of CarPlay is a deal breaker for me. I won’t buy a new car without it. So I would wait for year 2 of a 300. YMMV.

Why I don’t care about car-play:
—Instant Apple Carplay ++...
A5560E5C-7E40-401C-AF21-CADE554007C8.jpeg

++ because I get a screen that’s high def, and FULL IOS functionality, rather than Carplay’s small feature set.

Add to that... passenger movies, full screen everything...and all the zillion things you are not allowed to do on CarPlay—especially while vehicle is moving.

To me, the restrictions of Carplay would be a functionality *downgrade.*

Last edited:
I agree on that point turbo vs NA in terms of longevity. Unless Toyota wants to give us 500 hp I don’t see a turbo v6 AND an electric motor for a hybrid. If it’s a naturally aspirated V6 with an electric motor for assist then that might work out, only kicker would be the direct injection. If it’s direct and port like the 86/BRZ then that would be the best compromise.

I was going to comment on similar lines. The dealers/ vendors on here that have inside knowledge may want to chime in, but, we really have not heard from Toyota regarding any specifics, have we?? all we hear is auto-magazine, online auto review website rumors. SO, really nothing concrete. Hell, I may throw in the possibility of an enlarged 6.2 - 6.5 L V8 with around 410-430hp/450+ft.lbs of torque as a day dreaming type of engine. Just kidding, that ain't gonna happen but may just add to the conjecture which is really all we have at this point. we don't even know if the LC and LX will be shared platforms or will they diverge into different lineages altogether.

I agree with you on the point of twin-turbo V6 hybrid powertrain and the unlikeliness of it. it would have tons of power, but would it suit the global needs of this platform?? heck, a good diesel hybrid is better suited to the LCs intended purposes globally, but our EPA kills the efficiency and reliability of diesel motors by making them breathe their own farts, so that's unlikely too.

so, going back to the OPs questions - if I was in this situation at this point in time, my plan would be to get a LC200 with a goal of keeping it for 5-7 years and seeing how the market plays out and what toyota does. And if the 300 is that much of an exponential improvement over the 200, then turn the 200 in and get a 300. But if the 300 (or at least the US spec 300) bombs, which btw is extremely unlikely, then you would have landed up getting one of the best of the last true overlanding platforms.

Case in point - over in the land rover world - those that waited for the new discovery instead of getting the LR4 while they could were in for a world of hurt when the new discovery came out. But that said, usually toyota manages its products better than land rover.

I agree on that point turbo vs NA in terms of longevity. Unless Toyota wants to give us 500 hp I don’t see a turbo v6 AND an electric motor for a hybrid. If it’s a naturally aspirated V6 with an electric motor for assist then that might work out, only kicker would be the direct injection. If it’s direct and port like the 86/BRZ then that would be the best compromise.

A hybrid NA v6 will not make the continuous horsepower needed to tow effectively.. unless they drastically reduce the towing capacity, which I can’t see them doing on a supposedly better more modern platform.

I think it really about timing. I have been in the same spot regarding the tech and engine but really for me it has come back to timing. When do I want/need the newer truck? Will I be happy with the purchase? As long as you are happy, who cares about the rest??

If it was JUST gonna be a TTV6, then maybe the NA V8 models won't hold/appreciate in value...but addding the hybrid portion, in a Land Cruiser, will not be well received for the buyers wanting as little tech as possible...you know, because it's a Land Cruiser. Who cares if a 90k SUV gets 2 mpg better?
The NAV8 will be seen as the one to get.

I'd get a 2020 and take the 3rd row out....who looks at other people's cargo areas and gets upset that there are holes where seats used to be?!

May I ask why?? Any specific functionality (especially with use of phone features as in making and receiving calls and texts) that carplay brings that bluetooth wont?? I understand use of the apps with carplay. In-car tech needs for my work are pretty minimal outside of phone calls and texts, so maybe there are useful and functional apps that are needed for work (calendar, organizer, on the fly meetings, etc) that get missed out on in the absence of carplay??

I'm asking to learn. the "cool factor" or the "album art" display does not get any brownie points in my book. functionality does.
I don’t give a crap about coolness or album art. Back before the pandemic, I had a long, traffic-choked commute into work (about an hour each way). I use Google Maps or Waze to route around the worst of the traffic jams here in Boston and we have some of the worst traffic in the country, combined with a challenging road layout. I mount my phone on a magnetic mount high on the dash. I do everything I can to avoid touching my phone while driving, but sometimes it is simply necessary. Now, however, it is basically illegal in MA (and in many other states) to touch your phone while driving.

With Apple CarPlay, Google Maps and Waze run on the larger in dash screen, and you can still legally touch the screen when necessary,

Compared to Google Maps and Waze, the factory nav is pathetic — out of date, costs $$$ to update, and no real-time traffic.

I don’t use the calendar or email when driving. On the rare occasions that I get a text, I might ask Siri to read it to me. On the rare occasions that I text while driving, it is limited to dictating a very short text via Siri, like “I’ll be home at 7 PM” to my wife.

If it was JUST gonna be a TTV6, then maybe the NA V8 models won't hold/appreciate in value...but addding the hybrid portion, in a Land Cruiser, will not be well received for the buyers wanting as little tech as possible...you know, because it's a Land Cruiser. Who cares if a 90k SUV gets 2 mpg better?
The NAV8 will be seen as the one to get.

People said the same thing about the EcoBoost engines in the F-150. “Pickup buyers are traditional. They will stick with tried and true V8s. The EcoBoost will never sell.” That sounded reasonable, but turned out to be completely untrue.

The most popular engine in the F-150 is the 2.7l EcoBoost, followed by the 3.5l EcoBoost. The turbo engines together make up about 2/3rds of F-150 sales, even though a 5 l diesel is still available.

The rumors about the LC 300 engine having a TT V6 with a hybrid are just that, rumors. We will see what it has when it is announced, but I suspect it will be well received whatever the engine.

Did you read what I said.....the HYBRID angle is what I'd be most concerned with.
Also, the F150 market is hundreds times larger than the LC market and covers an incredible wide swath of the general public. Pickup Trucks are bought for hundreds of different uses, have 30 different trim and drivetrain options.....not a legit argument.
Also, the F150 isn't hybrid/electric (yet)

If you are going to keep it 10 years, I would consider buying the 200 as pure option value.

If and likely when there is a next gen Land Cruiser, 2021-22, you can decide which you like better and have option at
keeping the 200 or trading for the new version.

One thing about Land Cruisers there is low supply and strong demand and the last of each generation is always sought after because everyone who loves the 200 will hate the 300 for the first few years and until they will admit it grew on them. You can likely document this evolution through Mud!

Did you read what I said.....the HYBRID angle is what I'd be most concerned with.
Also, the F150 market is hundreds times larger than the LC market and covers an incredible wide swath of the general public. Pickup Trucks are bought for hundreds of different uses, have 30 different trim and drivetrain options.....not a legit argument.
Also, the F150 isn't hybrid/electric (yet)

Did you read what I wrote? The hybrid part is still a rumor. It may happen. It may not. We simply don't know.

That said, Toyota's hybrids have been very reliable and efficient. The new Highlander Hybrid is rated at about 35 mpg combined. If the 300 comes with a hybrid, it just might get significantly better mpg than some expect. Nowhere near 35 mpg combined (or even 25 mpg) of course, but it may well be significantly more than just an increase of 2 mpg. My main reservation about hybrids is that the braking feel can be non-linear as it transitions between regenerative braking and friction braking, but Toyota has apparently been getting better at it over the years.

As for the F-150 market, the fact is that very same arguments were made about F-150 buyers and were proved to be false. I predict that the same will be true for the LC. Similar arguments were made about the 100 Series and the horror of an independent front suspension on a LC.

One thing about Land Cruisers there is low supply and strong demand and the last of each generation is always sought after because everyone who loves the 200 will hate the 300 for the first few years and until they will admit it grew on them. You can likely document this evolution through Mud!

Way before Mud. When the 60 was only sold as a wagon people freaked out. When the 80 introduced coils people freaked out. The 100 had IFS, and people freaked out (except down under with their awesome 105s). The 200 was (is) heavy and huge and expensive.. freak out. But each of those generational changes introduced very, very good things and more than hold their own in the world of hauling people and stuff to places on and off-road.

Our 200s are barely related to a 40-series other than name and desire to be the best. A 300 will get s*** on just like everything else, but in all likelihood be an outright amazing vehicle.

And to be clear, I'm not saying toyota's iteration of a TT V6 can't be reliable/durable.. history says it will probably be better than ford's. Just that it is extremely unlikely to be AS reliable/durable as the 5.7, due to the complexity needed to make all that power in such a small package. IMO this is a step backward for a brand with the stated and real values of the landcruiser.

Have some faith guys. It's a Toyota. It's a Land Cruiser. Its very mission is to be robust and durable.

There was a time when dual overhead cams, variable valve time, electronic throttle control, 6/8 speed trannies were exotic. Yet look where we are now. Turbos, hybrids, etc. have all been with us multiple decades now. If you think the 200-series is plebeian, look again. There was a time when the 200-series was bleeding edge with technology laden everything. We're just now comfortable with it after its very long model run.

I don’t give a crap about coolness or album art. Back before the pandemic, I had a long, traffic-choked commute into work (about an hour each way). I use Google Maps or Waze to route around the worst of the traffic jams here in Boston and we have some of the worst traffic in the country, combined with a challenging road layout. I mount my phone on a magnetic mount high on the dash. I do everything I can to avoid touching my phone while driving, but sometimes it is simply necessary. Now, however, it is basically illegal in MA (and in many other states) to touch your phone while driving.

With Apple CarPlay, Google Maps and Waze run on the larger in dash screen, and you can still legally touch the screen when necessary,

Compared to Google Maps and Waze, the factory nav is pathetic — out of date, costs $$$ to update, and no real-time traffic.

I don’t use the calendar or email when driving. On the rare occasions that I get a text, I might ask Siri to read it to me. On the rare occasions that I text while driving, it is limited to dictating a very short text via Siri, like “I’ll be home at 7 PM” to my wife.
I live the DC area and am right there with you on the magic of CarPlay. Having said that though I just bought a 2020 LC Heritage that’s getting delivered next week. We’re all in the car a lot less these days and I’m thinking I may never go back to as much commuting so between that and the current deals available on new LCs now’s the time, I’ve been looking at dash and vent mounts for my phone with a backup plan of trying out the solution from beat-sonic to add CarPlay to the factory system.

I have a 2014 so not the same as you are looking at

Removed the seats day one and never put them back

I replaced the head unit with a tesla style unit that has carplay. I don't really use the car play because my the headunit is an Android system so I download whatever apps I want there

V8 has plenty of power and I drive over mig mtn passes a lot towing a heavy trailer. I don't know if its dead. I debated about looking at a 2016+, but I have this one built exactly the way I want it. There are some nice upgrades, but not significant in my opinion.

FWIW put me down as a +1 for considering the 2020 HE. I love it and the main reason I got it was to lose the 3rd row and I didn't want an LX570----I hate the look. I had concerns about the lack of CarPlay too but I've found it's a non-event accept for Waze and the album art aesthetics. As far as "hey Siri call______" or "Hey Siri play Beastie Boys Sabotage"...they work seamlessly which is 80% of what I used carplay for. If you really need CarPlay..I think there is an aftermarket option that @ericsarjeant can tell you about.

In all this talk.......are we even sure LC300 will even come to the USA? Rumor was that we will only get the Lexus version of it. Has that changed?

And if no LC300 coming to USA, then LC200 will be the last Land Cruiser available in USA.

FWIW put me down as a +1 for considering the 2020 HE. I love it and the main reason I got it was to lose the 3rd row and I didn't want an LX570----I hate the look. I had concerns about the lack of CarPlay too but I've found it's a non-event accept for Waze and the album art aesthetics. As far as "hey Siri call______" or "Hey Siri play Beastie Boys Sabotage"...they work seamlessly which is 80% of what I used carplay for. If you really need CarPlay..I think there is an aftermarket option that @ericsarjeant can tell you about.

Beat-Sonic says they have a system you can install that will mirror your iPhone or Android but I haven't seem anyone on the forum chime in that they have personal experience so i'm leery of spending $1500 on buying it and the install without hearing more confirmation that people have actually done it and like it. Watching YouTube videos there seem to be a few cons to this system such as having to keep your phone unlocked the whole time you use it and you still have to select item on your phone screen once it's mirrored as it doesn't turn your LC factory screen into a full CarPlay friendly touch screen like it any "real" implementation.

"The following item will allow you to mirror an iPhone on the 2020 LC: https://www.beatsonicusa.com/if04ep.html"

Sam Cho
Beat-Sonic USA Inc.
JY Custom USA
14778 Beach Boulevard, La Mirada, CA 90638
Phone: 714.994.1085
Fax: 714.249.4741

Yeah that's it. I couldn't think of the name.

Beat-Sonic says they have a system you can install that will mirror your iPhone or Android but I haven't seem anyone on the forum chime in that they have personal experience so i'm leery of spending $1500 on buying it and the install without hearing more confirmation that people have actually done it and like it. Watching YouTube videos there seem to be a few cons to this system such as having to keep your phone unlocked the whole time you use it and you still have to select item on your phone screen once it's mirrored as it doesn't turn your LC factory screen into a full CarPlay friendly touch screen like it any "real" implementation.

"The following item will allow you to mirror an iPhone on the 2020 LC: https://www.beatsonicusa.com/if04ep.html"

Sam Cho
Beat-Sonic USA Inc.
JY Custom USA
14778 Beach Boulevard, La Mirada, CA 90638
Phone: 714.994.1085
Fax: 714.249.4741

Why I don’t care about car-play:
—Instant Apple Carplay ++...
View attachment 2319819
++ because I get a screen that’s high def, and FULL IOS functionality, rather than Carplay’s small feature set.

Add to that... passenger movies, full screen everything...and all the zillion things you are not allowed to do on CarPlay—especially while vehicle is moving.

To me, the restrictions of Carplay would be a functionality *downgrade.*

Love the clean look of the ipad there. What mount are you using?

If Silver is your color, you could also get a Heritage and wrap it in Silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom