Close to buying a new 200 LC. Asking for thoughts and comments on my 2 concerns.. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for all the comments/thoughts-really appreciate taking the time to do so.

I think this has helped me. Apple carplay is not a dealbreaker. I can live with not having it.
3rd row I can live with too..I dont think I would remove the seats but good to know I can.

With regard to V8-this is the wildcard. This is a very durable and bulletproof engine and since I plan to keep this vehicle 10 years or so, I think it will last that and more. I am sure if they go with V6 it will be great and getter better MPG etc with more power but I really do like NA engines..so pure.

And who knows if LC 300 even comes to USA.

I know the 21's will come out in about 5 months, give or take so I may wait until Oct to get a 2021 unless I can get a great deal on my 2020.
Ok thanks again to the group-this is a great forum and I look forward to being an owner again and a part of it.

Get the silver. You can take the 3rd row seats out, but doubt you can add them to an HE (easily at least). Plus you get the cool box. All the other stuff, you can add from the HE.

Hi all,

I hope everyone is staying safe.

I posted a short while ago about getting
Or not getting the 300 and would you buy the first new year 300 series as the rule of thumb is, wait for 2nd year etc for them to get the kinks out.

I know the LC is a different beast, however I have decided as a personal decision that indeed I would wait until l year 2 if there is a year 2 and if they bring the LC 300 to the USA.

That being said year 2 is a few years away give or take. Lets say 2021 then a year or so For year #2 and I am looking at 2022 best case scenario and 2023 for worst case for 2nd year of the 300

So…….I am I think it’s the 200 or bust for me as they say.

I owned the 2016 LC and absolutely loved it and essentially I’d be buying the same exact SUV. I love the history iconic badge capability durability how rugged it was how great it looks etc. etc.

The only thing that eats at me is two things.

1. it’s been said here 1 million times before but the infotainment center navigation no Apple CarPlay etc. is a real negative. Ugh. So frustrating with all the tech that is out there they use this antiquated system which let’s call a spade a spade and be completely honest it’s absolutely terrible. But is this truly a dealbreaker for me? Would I not buy a brand new 2020 Land Cruiser because the infotainment system is horrible, I’m trying to wrap my head around that.

2. The cargo space in the rear is really cutdown with the folded to the side seats. I will never use the third row seats so I’m thinking if there is that option to take the 2seats our. If anyone can quickly comment on their experience doing this that would be appreciated

3. If rumors are true they’re moving to a 3.5 TwinTurbo V6. Do you guys think the V8 in the current 200 series over many years will be sought after? Meaning will the 200 series be looked back upon in 10 years as a desirable model?

As always thanks for the input advice and comments. It’s very much appreciated.

Right now is a pretty good time to buy a new car considering demand is low and supply is high. Interest rates, incentives, dealers are motivated to sell, etc...

But, to your specific questions, in my opinion..

1. Im not real into tech so I don't really care about the lack of CarPlay. I like it, and have it in my Sony head unit in my Excursion, but its just not a necessity for me, and it certainly wouldn't come into play when it came to considering a new Land Cruiser. It could literally have nothing but an AM/FM radio and it wouldn't make much difference to me.

2. I pulled the 3rd row in both the 200s I owned and its no biggie. I have since replaced them in my current 200. But pull them, and now you can get a nice factory cargo area mat for the 2 row models that looks good and you could find some way to neatly cover the relatively small holes on the wheel wells if it bothers you.

3. If the 300 has a TTV6, I just don't see myself ever wanting to own one. I plan on getting a new or like new 200 in the next few years and by that time Ill be mid 40s and I may keep it for the rest of my life. If it wears out I will just replace with the lowest mileage 200 I can find. I will continue to shuffle more 40s and 60s and 80s, and that will keep me satisfied but with a nice 200, I just don't think I'll ever really want a 300 series with a TTV6. So I can say with 100% certainty that if the 300 has a TTV6, there will be at least one person who will want the 200 over the 300. That being said, I'm not 100% convinced yet that the North American 300 won't have a NA V8. Reason being low oil prices and reduced emissions standards in the US. Theres just no reason for it.

So Id go find yourself a nice new silver 200 and work a great deal on it.

Oh and staying safe is easy, but I do hope you are staying free. 😉

Didnt @Eric Sarjeant mention production has been put on hold? Would that impact delivery of a 2021 MY?

Also toyota won't spec out a landcruiser just for the US market, even if our emissions standards have relaxed and fuel is cheap. Besides, they'll just get stricter and more expensive again eventually. The engine package weighs heavily into the overall design of the vehicle and if toyota doesn't want to build the length into the engine room for a v8, they won't just for the US market. To me the rumors about no v8 diesel says a lot.. if they are putting a v6 diesel into this rig for (presumably) the australian market, they may have engine bay length constraints determined by the plan to run nothing bigger than a v6 anywhere else. Lots of speculation here, I admit. Keep in mind that a TTV6 will need an intercooler, and unless you add that length to the front of the vehicle (approach angle) it has to come out of the engine bay.

Love the clean look of the ipad there. What mount are you using?

I only know this because I asked the same question for ipad mounting in another car. Markuson had a specific method to make sure the legs stick, but I've had no issues in my other car just making sure the surface was clean. Wizgear universal stick-on magnetic mounts. They are awesome.

Amazon product ASIN B0773F8S74

Get the silver. You can take the 3rd row seats out, but doubt you can add them to an HE (easily at least). Plus you get the cool box. All the other stuff, you can add from the HE.

Adding seats to a HE would be very expensive and require modifications to the body of the vehicle, not to mention possibly not covered if in a wreck. You'd have to add the mounting points for the legs to the body, add the seat belts, which means getting upper inner plastic trim for a seatbelt edition, seatbelt headliner, floor anchors, carpet, inner lower body trim with the holes on the wheel wells, seat anchors for being in the upright position, tons of stuff. If you think you need third row, get a base.

Last edited:
That being said, I'm not 100% convinced yet that the North American 300 won't have a NA V8. Reason being low oil prices and reduced emissions standards in the US. Theres just no reason for it.

Development timeframes are multiple years. Decisions about the drivetrain for the 2022 LC were likely made a year ago or more. Oil prices have already started to recover. But I doubt fuel prices are the main reason for Toyota looking to improve LC fuel economy. I suspect is more about CAFE and it is more about the Tundra than the LC.

Development timeframes are multiple years. Decisions about the drivetrain for the 2022 LC were likely made a year ago or more. Oil prices have already started to recover. But I doubt fuel prices are the main reason for Toyota looking to improve LC fuel economy. I suspect is more about CAFE and it is more about the Tundra than the LC.

have to agree... LC will likely get whatever drivetrain they finalize for the tundra.

I wouldn't worry about #3... You have no control over that. It may be a V8, a TT V6, or even a TT V8. You're buying a depreciating asset at the end of the day, even if it's value curve is more shallow than others.

#1 is personal preference, there are ways to overcome the tech gap, through your personal device usage or aftermarket offers.

#2 seems many people just remove the 3rd row, or you can opt for a 2-row model, which I think is an option on the 18+ LX or the HE LC. Regardless, it can be removed with ease.

If you want/need the truck now, I wouldn't be concerned about the 300-series, and find the one that best fits yours needs/budget. A bird in the hand...

have to agree... LC will likely get whatever drivetrain they finalize for the tundra.

Yup. And the Tundra hasn't been competitive against the pickups from the Big 2.5.

In regard to your engine question...

I don't think I saw anyone mention the potential torque difference between a V6 and V8 and the impact that would have on towing.
(sorry if I missed it and am repeating)

My 2019 LC has 405 lb/ft of torque - makes pulling just about anything a breeze. Our other vehicle has a TTV6 that makes the same HP as the LC but only 350 lb/ft of torque. Those two extra cylinders make a big difference if you're pulling a boat, camper, etc. I think that may keep the 200s a preference for many vs. where the 300 seems to be headed.

In regard to your engine question...

I don't think I saw anyone mention the potential torque difference between a V6 and V8 and the impact that would have on towing.
(sorry if I missed it and am repeating)

My 2019 LC has 405 lb/ft of torque - makes pulling just about anything a breeze. Our other vehicle has a TTV6 that makes the same HP as the LC but only 350 lb/ft of torque. Those two extra cylinders make a big difference if you're pulling a boat, camper, etc. I think that may keep the 200s a preference for many vs. where the 300 seems to be headed.

That depends a great deal on the engine. The 2.7l EcoBoost has 325 hp and 400 ft-lbs of torque. The 3.5l EcoBoost has 375 hp and 470 ft-lbs of torque. The HO 3.5l Ecoboost has 450 hp and 510 ft-lbs of torque.

So I think it is incorrect to claim that a TTV6 won't have enough torque -- it might well have significantly more torque than the 5.7l V8. Number of cylinders is not really germane either. Some of the best diesel engines have been inline sixes.

That depends a great deal on the engine. The 2.7l EcoBoost has 325 hp and 400 ft-lbs of torque. The 3.5l EcoBoost has 375 hp and 470 ft-lbs of torque. The HO 3.5l Ecoboost has 450 hp and 510 ft-lbs of torque.

So I think it is incorrect to claim that a TTV6 won't have enough torque -- it might well have significantly more torque than the 5.7l V8. Number of cylinders is not really germane either. Some of the best diesel engines have been inline sixes.

also depends on the torque curve and the amount of internal stresses on the engine in order to make that much of continuous power / torque during long haul towing. by all accounts (and admittedly I do not have objective data on the longevity of the newer TTV6s when used in continuous towing applications) in the pick up world, for continuous tow/haul duties other than the occasional weekend camper / boat, them people tend to lean towards HD diesels, at least 3/4 ton. for non towing duties, daily driving, family trips, I can see the efficiency advantage of the smaller boosted motors. And realistically speaking, other than a few enthusiasts, who really keeps their rigs for 10 years+?? Yes that is more common in the LC world and LC owners have the highest relative percentage of keeping their rigs the longest, but in the family pick up truck world, nowadays all I see is short term leases with turnover.

If Silver is your color, you could also get a Heritage and wrap it in Silver.

no wraps!! no wraps!!! no wraps!!! :) just kidding. but seriously, that classic silver with the standard silver wheels or even the RWs looks so fluidly beautiful!!! i feel it really accentuates the soft curves and lines of the LC, or really any vehicle that has that type of a "flowy" design, for eg - the 911 GT3 in porsche's GT silver has a similar eye pleasing effect on me.

Yes, torque curve is more important than peak value. It is my understanding that today’s turbo motors tend to develop their torque at lower rpm than naturally aspirated motors and have a flatter torque curve.

I'd consider the hybrid simply to get a decent range! Failing that the option of a Factory installed second gas tank would work.

Newsflash: CAFE is dead. We have SAFE. Im sure Toyota had made a decision years ago on the power plant, but then the uncertainty about CAFE/SAFE surfaced. I actually think this is what led to the delays in the LC. Rumor was Mr. T didn't like the design, but I think it was about the power plant. SAFE is why I don't think its 100% that the North American LC won't have another V8.

Oil has not recovered and there is no sign it will. Supply is very high, demand is still low and may never get back to where it was with electric, etc... Low gas prices lower demand for more fuel efficient engines. So one less reason for T to put anything but a V8 in it.

Newsflash: CAFE is dead. We have SAFE. Im sure Toyota had made a decision years ago on the power plant, but then the uncertainty about CAFE/SAFE surfaced. I actually think this is what led to the delays in the LC. Rumor was Mr. T didn't like the design, but I think it was about the power plant. SAFE is why I don't think its 100% that the North American LC won't have another V8.

Oil has not recovered and there is no sign it will. Supply is very high, demand is still low and may never get back to where it was with electric, etc... Low gas prices lower demand for more fuel efficient engines. So one less reason for T to put anything but a V8 in it.
Compare sales numbers of the 200 in North America to those of the rest of the world. The American market is an afterthought. We only get new landcruisers because the rest of the world has high enough standards for them to meet most of the requirements to be sold here too.
Newsflash: SAFE will only last as long as this administration, whether that be early 2021 or 2025. Part of the motivation for CAFE was the correlation between fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. I will not get into a debate about whether or not this is appropriate, but it WILL be a major focus of regulators when (not if) they are allowed to do their jobs again.

FWIW. I think the seat belts still stay when removing the 3rd row. Someone who's done it can jump in or post a pic but it's something else to consider. It is cool with the HE out there that you can buy a factory cargo mat if you do choose to remove the seats in the standard model.

FWIW. I think the seat belts still stay when removing the 3rd row. Someone who's done it can jump in or post a pic but it's something else to consider. It is cool with the HE out there that you can buy a factory cargo mat if you do choose to remove the seats in the standard model.
The seat belts are not connected to the seats and are removed separately. I took my third row seatbelts out too.

The seat belts are not connected to the seats and are removed separately. I took my third row seatbelts out too.
Did you remove the one in the headliner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom