Close to buying a new 200 LC. Asking for thoughts and comments on my 2 concerns.. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I hope everyone is staying safe.

I posted a short while ago about getting
Or not getting the 300 and would you buy the first new year 300 series as the rule of thumb is, wait for 2nd year etc for them to get the kinks out.

I know the LC is a different beast, however I have decided as a personal decision that indeed I would wait until l year 2 if there is a year 2 and if they bring the LC 300 to the USA.

That being said year 2 is a few years away give or take. Lets say 2021 then a year or so For year #2 and I am looking at 2022 best case scenario and 2023 for worst case for 2nd year of the 300

So…….I am I think it’s the 200 or bust for me as they say.

I owned the 2016 LC and absolutely loved it and essentially I’d be buying the same exact SUV. I love the history iconic badge capability durability how rugged it was how great it looks etc. etc.

The only thing that eats at me is two things.

1. it’s been said here 1 million times before but the infotainment center navigation no Apple CarPlay etc. is a real negative. Ugh. So frustrating with all the tech that is out there they use this antiquated system which let’s call a spade a spade and be completely honest it’s absolutely terrible. But is this truly a dealbreaker for me? Would I not buy a brand new 2020 Land Cruiser because the infotainment system is horrible, I’m trying to wrap my head around that.

2. The cargo space in the rear is really cutdown with the folded to the side seats. I will never use the third row seats so I’m thinking if there is that option to take the 2seats our. If anyone can quickly comment on their experience doing this that would be appreciated

3. If rumors are true they’re moving to a 3.5 TwinTurbo V6. Do you guys think the V8 in the current 200 series over many years will be sought after? Meaning will the 200 series be looked back upon in 10 years as a desirable model?

As always thanks for the input advice and comments. It’s very much appreciated.

Rear seats out day 1....dogs, Costco, Home Depot + 100 other reasons

The rest....never took mind reading 101.....so no help

There is the 2020 Heritage Edition that has no 3rd row.

Thanks yes I knew that but it only comes in black and white and silver is my color. I would only want the Land Cruiser in classic silver so the heritage is not an option for me. Thanks for mentioning that though

1) Any car, short of a Tesla, is going to have electronics that simply won't keep up with the pace of technology. Carplay may extend the usable life some years, but even that will feel outdated/slow in in time. Plus the MFD is single context, unlike some vehicles that have split displays so switching back and forth is a PITA. Sidestep the whole built in multi-function display (MFD) issue. Don't rely on it as your technology portal. Use your phone directly by mounting it up high next to the MFD, connecting to your vehicle with BT for its audio functions. Your phone will always be the best upgraded, fast, and intuitive interface. I have no problem with even my '09 LX used in this way, and I'm a self professed technology junkie.

2) I like the idea of a Heritage for you, but any cruiser can have its 3rd row taken out. Cavernous once that's done. It'll leave a couple unfinished mounting holes on the fender covers, but there's been some creative ideas to cover them.

3) Upward and onward. The new drivetrain is going to be a beast. The 5.7L is no slouch in its own right. If you want something that may retain its value more, I'd reconsider the HE model. Any cruiser at the end of its model years is going to retain its value the best however.

Thanks yes I knew that but it only comes in black and white and silver is my color. I would only want the Land Cruiser in classic silver so the heritage is not an option for me. Thanks for mentioning that though

For me, IF no 3rd row is THAT important, then i give up silver color. Unless you are planning on drawers or other cargo management systems, taking out 3rd row leaves ugly-a$$ holes in your $90k SUV cargo area. Until someone can 3D print covers for those holes, i am keeping my unused 3rd row intact.

My 3rd row is out most of the time for added cargo. Takes 20 min tops to remove. I put them back in a couple times when needed for more than 5 passengers. Takes a little longer getting them back in, but is quicker with a helper. Back and forth for that is not a dealbreaker unless lifting/carrying 40+ lbs is a limiting factor.

OR if you love silver that much and want no 3rd row, then there is the Lexus LX 570 2-row model.

Hi, yes I did. I bought it new at Toyota of Grapevine in Texas and then 9 months later I moved to the Big apple. NYC, so I sold it.
Thats why I am back. There is no other SUV that I want more than the LC but just a little frustrated with the 2 things I mentioned.

To be fair, thx for the thoughts on the 3rd row. I have to buy Silver and only want the Toyota so I will have to live with the smaller cargo area or just take the seats out.

The tech only one person has addressed so I guess not many people are bothered by it.

Lastly, will the V8 be sought after years from now as they move to the V6? Not a crystal ball I know but whats best guess?

I plan to keep this badboy for at least 10 years-this time for real-not moving back to NYC!

Ok thank you again,

I long ago decided that all I need in my car is a good bluetooth audio/call connection and I'm good to go. I went from a 2015 LC to a 2015 S class and while both don't have carplay, the Mercedes has loads more tech which is nice but it's not make or break. I'll miss it for a day or two maximum when I get back in a Cruiser.

I removed the third row and never looked back. I like the two row LX but then you miss out on some cool features (the stereo, heads up display, interior colors) that make an LX worth having. The two row LX makes sense to me only as a sub $1000/month lease.

I don't think the V8 is going to be as sought after as people think. People on this forum forget Toyota has been making Priuses for over 20 years and the first gens are still on the road operated on shoestring budgets. I'm personally excited about a hybrid V6 because I know I'll still have strong acceleration from the electric motor even after fitting big off road tires.

I think v6/v8 fans will be split. Some people will want the older arguably much more simple tech, others will want the better unloaded mileage and ability to add significant power with just a tune.

Personally I don't see how a DI 3.5L turbo engine making more power than a port injected NA 5.7L can be expected to last as long, but some people disagree. Priuses have gone quite far, but that's an ultra-efficient tiny car vs a 6000+# refrigerator flying through the air, let alone when towing a large trailer. My gut is that the 5.7 will be sought after by people looking for quality rigs for off-road adventuring.. That's currently a big market, and will likely stay that way for a while.

Hi, yes I did. I bought it new at Toyota of Grapevine in Texas and then 9 months later I moved to the Big apple. NYC, so I sold it.
Thats why I am back. There is no other SUV that I want more than the LC but just a little frustrated with the 2 things I mentioned.

To be fair, thx for the thoughts on the 3rd row. I have to buy Silver and only want the Toyota so I will have to live with the smaller cargo area or just take the seats out.

The tech only one person has addressed so I guess not many people are bothered by it.

Lastly, will the V8 be sought after years from now as they move to the V6? Not a crystal ball I know but whats best guess?

I plan to keep this badboy for at least 10 years-this time for real-not moving back to NYC!

Ok thank you again,

I can provide a bit of input on the tech as we have vehicles with and without carplay. I am by no means a tech junkie. I consider myself more of a mechanical guy than a tech guy. so there is a definitive bias here. Now that said, we (me and my wife) do not miss apple car play at all in the vehicles that do not have it. on the one that does have it, its nice to have and convenient but only marginally so. We have found no benefit in the hands free part because along with siri and bluetooth and as @TeCKis300 mentioned, once you have the phone mounted in an ergonomically convenient position - that is essentially "carplay" for me with all functions managed via bluetooth and siri. that includes reading and replying texts with voice commands. Navigation tends to be a bit easier with carplay. One thing I find significantly better with carplay is controlling the music apps. All of us have different tastes in music and switching between channels or even between apps (pandora to spotify and back for example) is a lot easier on carplay.

Now that said, did carplay feature into any decision making priority for our vehicles - ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! my 2012 car felt cutting edge at the time of purchase with BMW connected and all and in 2-3 years started feeling antiquated!! but i had no impulse to sell it. I bought it for what it was and not for the tech that came with it. We tend to keep our vehicles for a long time so they all get "outdated" so to speak. All cars do. If I were you, not having carplay/android auto would be a small disappointment that is easily shrugged off. Its like not loving someone just cause they have a missing pinky toe!!!

On engines - I am a big fan of V8s. so thats another bias - preferable the atmospheric kind. And i am an even bigger fan of mildly tuned, workhorse type truck based V8 engines. Short of a well built straight six, the reliability cannot be beat. Sure the forced induction turbo V6 will have better performance and toyota knows how to build reliable motors; so even that engine may very well stand the test of time but you cannot circumvent the issue of more variables that are likely to have an issue that goes with a forced induction motor.

Just my 2 cents. apologies if my reply felt like a ramble.

My thoughts on your 3 questions in reverse order.
Yes I think the V8 is dead based on all auto mags having same story V6 Turbo.
Me wife and Dog have not had issue with 3rd row installed. I have carried everything I wanted to and not had to leave anything behind. I have thought multiple times about removing them but I seem to end up using them to run around Sister/Niece/Nephew/Parents/Neighbor and kids etc..... So I have not removed them.
The gadgets question. Maybe I am just old school. But I listen to radio, I take phone calls on Bluetooth, if I run out of radio stations I play my music from my or wife phone via USB or Bluetooth. Not sure what I am missing with car play or apple ..... but I sure not missing it. I have no kids so rear screens are never used not even sure where remote is or head things. What do you need those things for that will some how detract from your overall life experience as you drive down road? If I am missing something I sure not aware.
Lastly I bought my 2016 and plan to drive it for next 20 years. I sure that electronics will be way beyond what I have now. However I am happy driving my 1997 T100 with radio and cd player. It has no bluetooth, no nav, no video system, a manual transimission, etc..... Like I said I am kind of old school. I drive that T100 about 500 miles round trip once every month to go fishing with my dad and pull boat with it.
Good luck with your decision.

Hi all,

I hope everyone is staying safe.
I posted a short while ago about getting
Or not getting the 300 and would you buy the first new year 300 series as the rule of thumb is, wait for 2nd year etc for them to get the kinks out.
I know the LC is a different beast, however I have decided as a personal decision that indeed I would wait until l year 2 if there is a year 2 and if they bring the LC 300 to the USA.
That being said year 2 is a few years away give or take. Lets say 2021 then a year or so For year #2 and I am looking at 2022 best case scenario and 2023 for worst case for 2nd year of the 300

MY 2021 will still be the LC200, confirmed by @Eric Sarjeant . dunno about MY2022 and beyond, i understand its all speculation at this point. Older threads on this forum had people talking about 2017/18 as the year for the 300 ... so its anybody's guess at this time as to when the 300 will be out.

No big deal on all questions, IMHO. I put an iPad over the MFD in my '17, run it with a BT connection off my iPhone, and have excellent, always up to date and easy to use technology. Third row came out day one (right after greasing the KDSS screws). Once a year my son puts one seat back in for a vacation trip with his family, but not a problem. 8 vs 6 holes is getting to be an old argument. Either works fine nowadays. Get another 200 and get out there.

At this point, lack of CarPlay is a deal breaker for me. I won’t buy a new car without it. So I would wait for year 2 of a 300. YMMV.

At this point, lack of CarPlay is a deal breaker for me. I won’t buy a new car without it. So I would wait for year 2 of a 300. YMMV.

May I ask why?? Any specific functionality (especially with use of phone features as in making and receiving calls and texts) that carplay brings that bluetooth wont?? I understand use of the apps with carplay. In-car tech needs for my work are pretty minimal outside of phone calls and texts, so maybe there are useful and functional apps that are needed for work (calendar, organizer, on the fly meetings, etc) that get missed out on in the absence of carplay??

I'm asking to learn. the "cool factor" or the "album art" display does not get any brownie points in my book. functionality does.

I think v6/v8 fans will be split. Some people will want the older arguably much more simple tech, others will want the better unloaded mileage and ability to add significant power with just a tune.

Personally I don't see how a DI 3.5L turbo engine making more power than a port injected NA 5.7L can be expected to last as long, but some people disagree. Priuses have gone quite far, but that's an ultra-efficient tiny car vs a 6000+# refrigerator flying through the air, let alone when towing a large trailer. My gut is that the 5.7 will be sought after by people looking for quality rigs for off-road adventuring.. That's currently a big market, and will likely stay that way for a while.

I agree on that point turbo vs NA in terms of longevity. Unless Toyota wants to give us 500 hp I don’t see a turbo v6 AND an electric motor for a hybrid. If it’s a naturally aspirated V6 with an electric motor for assist then that might work out, only kicker would be the direct injection. If it’s direct and port like the 86/BRZ then that would be the best compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom