Clear coat peeling off the size of hand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Fellows
My vehicle has lost a clear coat on 3 different spots on the hood which are about 4 inches in diameter each. Base coat is still good.
I am wondering if it is best to clear coat just the area that lost the clear coat (or perhaps a few inches more to help blend in with the existing clear coat)
OR
shall I clear coat the whole hood?

Thanks

Since the hood is easily removable I'd disassemble, strip and redo the entire hood.
Trying to take the clear down enough too respray will be difficult without getting deep sanding marks in the base coat.

Since the hood is easily removable I'd disassemble, strip and redo the entire hood.
Trying to take the clear down enough too respray will be difficult without getting deep sanding marks in the base coat.
Thanks kevgentle,
Do you recommend doing just the clear coat job?

Handful of posts on my build thread about how I repainted my hood.

Thanks kevgentle,
Do you recommend doing just the clear coat job?
Like I said, it'll be difficult to blend the clear because you'll need to take the clear back at the areas it's peeling. By doing so you'll probably cut into the base coat too much and will effect the finish.

I had read thru DirtJ's diy hood refinish a few weeks ago, might want to read thru that as well. It'll all depend on what level of finish you're after.
If you're going to be adventuring in it might not want to get too deep into it. Maaco could knock this out quick and cheap.

Blending clear that's failed is nearly impossible to do really well. However, you've got very little to lose. I'd try it. Very carefully sand the edges. I mean REALLLLLLLY careful. Then use some 2k clear like what @Dirt J used. I've used the same product for touch up.

Doing it right means doing the entire hood. When painters repair panels, they always clear the entire panel at once. You can do a poor job on the base, nail the clear and end up with a pretty good looking panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom