Odd size spare? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure this has been asked, but I couldn't find it. I'm thinking of running a slightly undersized spare, 285/70r17 vs 285/75/r17, about half an inch I guess plus or minus. On a scale of 1) Only If You Absolutely Must Deliver This Message To The President And There Are Ninja Bears, to 10) You Can Drive To China Like That, how tolerant is the center diff to an odd size tire?

I'm sure this has been asked, but I couldn't find it. I'm thinking of running a slightly undersized spare, 285/70r17 vs 285/75/r17, about half an inch I guess plus or minus. On a scale of 1) Only If You Absolutely Must Deliver This Message To The President And There Are Ninja Bears, to 10) You Can Drive To China Like That, how tolerant is the center diff to an odd size tire?
Are you asking about replacing your spare tire which is a 285/75/17 to a 285/70 and if this would put any strain on the center diff if used? My vote is no way, not enough difference in height to matter. The pitch on the road surface is probably more uneven then that. I wouldn't suggest running it for extended periods of time but even if you did I can't imagine 5mm making a difference.

But, why are you changing out your spare for something slightly different?

Last edited:
Are you doing this so it fits in the stock location? If so, there are some modifications you can do to fit in a bigger spare, do a search on this forum and I'm sure it will come up.

I wouldn't drive 1,000 miles with it but if it's to get you back to civilization and get the tire repaired or replaced, I wouldn't sweat it with that small of a difference.

I once thought of running 35’s with 33” spare tire. In the plan included selectable front hubs. Should I ever need to drive a far distance on the spare, I’d just install the 33 up front, unlock the hubs and go RWD all the way home.

Are you doing this so it fits in the stock location? If so, there are some modifications you can do to fit in a bigger spare, do a search on this forum and I'm sure it will come up.

There are mods to raise the spare but short of removing/refabricating the hitch there is nothing available to fit a larger spare.

I wouldn't drive 1,000 miles with it but if it's to get you back to civilization and get the tire repaired or replaced, I wouldn't sweat it with that small of a difference.
Naw, just going from stock to the larger tire size, and I already have a worn 285/70 sitting around perfect for spare tire duty. If I can run that it'll save me $400.

Naw, just going from stock to the larger tire size, and I already have a worn 285/70 sitting around perfect for spare tire duty. If I can run that it'll save me $400.
IF the 285/75/17s fit in the spare tire location, what I would do is find a used tire in that size using FB marketplace for cheap and use that as a spare. I have 285/70/17s and it's tight fit because I have a hitch bike rack (that I've had to cut for clearance). You can also deflate the tire a little to give it more wiggle room. Just be careful of it's proximity to the exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom