Cig lighter rewiring??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jomama

Lucideye
Threads
So who's idea was it not to have the cig lighter a live connetion when the key's off ??? ::) ::) :mad:

In looking thru the archives of all the 80's sites, I havent seen a write up of rewiring this. Anybody know of one? I can handle the nut & bolt DIY stuff normally, but the electrical is a mystery to me without step-by-step. :-\

cheers

It's easier to add another outlet under the dash, and you need another anyway. Mine's dedicated to the CB in my door pocket, and switched for now. It gets power from a heavy wire from the battery, another thing you need to add anyway, it's easier than poking through the rat's nest of wires under there. There's a nice, empty, rubber grommet where the clutch might go through the firewall, very convenient.

Another thing you should know about the stock lighter socket is that it has a fairly low amp fusible link at the rear of the socket. Running a small electric air compressor for a few minutes is sure to blow the fusible link. If you are going to do any wiring on the stock socket then replace this with a solid wire and put a replacable fuse in the circuit.
-B-

There already is a replaceable fuse in that circuit. Slee's site has directions to get that panel open, under center diff switch instructions. If you take apart the cig lighter socket and reassemble without the tiny insulating washer on the back, that bypasses the tiny fusible link. Tiny parts, not difficult, but best not done on the side of the road at night.

If you don't have power seats is the wire for them still under the carpet somewhere? The console would be a perfect place for an outlet.

For 93-97 there are 2 choices for the floor wiring harness, with or without diff locks. The numbers vary according to year model. Based on that, I Agree with Todd and BMT. there should be constant power under yer butt in any case. :D

*******REVITALIZING DEAD THREAD WARNING******​

Can anyone confirm or deny the presense of a pre-existing powered wire for electric seats under the driver's arse on a vehicle with manual ones?

I'd like to wire my Streamlight battery charger directly into the system and not fuss with the dern cigarette lighter all the time, and pre-exisiting power in the area would eat a banana or two off the job.

Based on a quick examination under there, a thick cable does run from under the carpet and into a connector, with two thinner wires leaving the connector and going toward the seatbelt clamp (presumably for the seatbelt light in the dash).

The connector appears to have two unused 'prong receptacles' on my non-power seat equipped model, but I can't hook a meter up to them without removing the seat.

I snipped the wire going to the lighter, and ran a jumper up to the constant wire of the radio (sorry can't remember color right now, blue with a stripe? maybe) any way, that is the way most other brand cars do it , and the circuit is light enough to handle it.

just my $.02

ogsuv said:
I snipped the wire going to the lighter, and ran a jumper up to the constant wire of the radio (sorry can't remember color right now, blue with a stripe? maybe) any way, that is the way most other brand cars do it , and the circuit is light enough to handle it.

just my $.02

you sure the radio wire is heavy enough to handle whatever would go in the lighter receptacle?

Have had mine like that for 4 years now, never popped once. Only thing I use though is my cell phone charger, never tried a spotlight or anything heavy duty( In that case, I would recommend a wire directly to battery, fused within a foot of the battery.

Either way as long as you don't go putting in a 30 amp fuse or anything, you are ok, worst that will happen is a blown fuse.
10 years in the car audio biz, done this plenty of times.

Ryan,

4 bolts, 5 minutes, a simple continuity tester, and you will have a definitive answer.

-B-

Beowulf said:
Ryan,

4 bolts, 5 minutes, a simple continuity tester, and you will have a definitive answer.

-B-

Yeah, that's what I figured. But I thought I'd throw a quick query out here to see if anyone else had already done it. Time has been a real factor as of late for me, so just looking to save some.

Yes,

Under the drivers seat, in combnation with
the connector that your seat belt warning light comes from is a "live" unused connector that the electric seat would plug into. I tapped into this for my constant power cig lighter mounted on the councel. You may have to dig it out from under the carpet but it is there.

Steve

94'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom