Chevy 350 bellhousing bolt pattern (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, does anyone if the bolt pattern/spacing from the motor to the bellhousing is the same for all chevy v8's? Reason being is I am planning on installing a NV4500 onto my existing '88 Chevy motor (tbi) and I want to know if I need a special bellhousing or if I can just use the stock one. Any help is great, as always. Thanks

Mike

5.7 and 5.0 blocks are all the same, the 5.3 and 6.0 variants are different...

my 1991 TBI block used the same bellhousing pattern as the 78 block I replaced...however, the flywheel changed, so be prepared to replace that. (bolt pattern not the same)

Also watch out for the shift fork. The fork need to be on the left so as to not interfer with the drive train. I believe this is why most of us get stuck with a special bellhousing

Nocents

How about using the bell housing from a chevy 250 I-6. The fork is on the left on those and should bolt right up to V-8 engine/transmission. Probably pretty cheap at junk yard.

Easiest solution for you is the Advance NV4500 bellhousing, been there done that, all the GM stock ones use their POS internal slave and master to operate the clutch, they are junk and hard to work with, they use a hard plastic hose with unique snap fittings and are molded to the vehicle they came from

Nope, Call Up Gear Tech Heavy Duty. They Have An Ad In The Back Of Fourwheeler Mag. They Have It , Driver's Side Slave Cyl. And A Heck Of A Lot Cheaper Than A/a. And Get The Slave Cyl From Gmpartsdirect.com I Believe It Is From An '85 Chevy 3/4 Ton Pick Up. It's $65 If You Still Need It Ican Post The Gm Part # For The Cyl.

Just a standard GM truck bellhousing (5.125" index) works fine. Mine is an old cast iron bellhousing from a '68 pickup. Fork is standard gm fork mounted on the left.

Rice said:
Just a standard GM truck bellhousing (5.125" index) works fine. Mine is an old cast iron bellhousing from a '68 pickup. Fork is standard gm fork mounted on the left.

But I thought the sm465 and the NV4500 had different bolt patterns. Did you use an adaptor or something?

VETTE60, can you post the phone number or web site for that outfit?

Butch, is the internal slave unreliable or just a pain in the ass to plumb?

I'm confused now. I'm also doing this conversion this winter. Geez, if I could just bolt it on that would be . . . No, I guess it's never as simple as that.

Thanks fellas.

theo said:
But I thought the sm465 and the NV4500 had different bolt patterns. Did you use an adaptor or something?

VETTE60, can you post the phone number or web site for that outfit?

Butch, is the internal slave unreliable or just a pain in the ass to plumb?

I'm confused now. I'm also doing this conversion this winter. Geez, if I could just bolt it on that would be . . . No, I guess it's never as simple as that.

Thanks fellas.

Oops ... that's true. The pattern at the engine is regular 90* pattern but at the tranny is different. I forgot about that tidbit since I opted to use the Dodge HD tranny ... so mine has an adapter plate at the tranny. Thanks Theo.

Rice

Thanks for all the input guys... the driveshaft clearance makes sense. I will probably end up going the AA route for the bellhousing in that case.

Is there anyone else on the market who makes a similar product (possibly for less)?

Thanks,
Mike

Rice, any idea who made the adaptor plate you're using? Seems like output shaft length would become an issue, but I don't know for sure.

Juice, if you're not opposed to using the GM internal slave cylinder, you might consider a GM bellhousing. I priced them here in Missoula, MT, for $225. The AA bell housing is about twice that.

I don't know of anyone other than AA who makes a tranny to transfer adaptor, so we may be stuck with them. Ouch!

I used a custom lakewood bellhousing mated to a toyota 4 spd and it has a drivers side cutch witch i adapted to use the toyota slave cyl and it seems to work fine :banana:

theo said:
Rice, any idea who made the adaptor plate you're using? Seems like output shaft length would become an issue, but I don't know for sure.

Juice, if you're not opposed to using the GM internal slave cylinder, you might consider a GM bellhousing. I priced them here in Missoula, MT, for $225. The AA bell housing is about twice that.

I don't know of anyone other than AA who makes a tranny to transfer adaptor, so we may be stuck with them. Ouch!

Theo,

Am using an AA plate to go from Dodge tranny to GM (old style) bellhousing. If I remember correctly the Dodge input shaft is bigger (diameter) at the pilot and is a longer shaft (i.e. the original Dodge bellhousing is longer than GM). So the adapter plate is cut to make up the added length (0.875 " IIRC) and AA has the special sized pilot bushing to allow a Dodge pilot shaft into a GM crank. The clutch spline count and size is the same as GM so I was able to use what I already had EXCEPT the throwout bearing has to be from a FORD because the diameter of the input shaft increases after the splines. Go figure.

I opted for this because I already had bellhousing, clutch, fork, brackets, slave cylinder, etc and to use an AA bellhousing would require buying more than just their bellhousing but clutch stuff too. Ended up being cheaper albeit my assembly is almost 1 inch longer now.

Rice

10-4 back door. :)

Since I already have the GM tranny I'm stuck with buying another bell housing I guess.

I was really hoping Marlin would make a rock box to fit the NV4500 in time but it looks like no. Lots of extra cost too so maybe it's just as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom