Chevota question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2x. Yes post trip reports. It sounds epic! Am a DOI fish bio in Vancouver WA. Had a '68 and '71. Now stuck in the early '60's. Stop for coffee, 5 min. off I-5.
At the Fish Sciences office? Know Judy DeLavergne?

I used to work in that office before they moved. I'm with the BIA.

a 350 small block is perfectly happy through 4000 rpm, so is a 283. That said at 2700+ rpm, with the exhaust as it’s currently set up on my rig, my EARS are not happy. A 350 SOUNDS like it’ll blow up at 3000rpm but I wouldn’t worry at all about holding it at 3500 on long trips if gearing made the necessary. I’d get more than a little nervous at 5000rpm.

Chevy advertises their crate SBC redlines at 5500 rpm and I am confident they’re right.
5500 rpm is more a limitation of the cam profile. I've run my crate SBC past 5500. My 1st SBC would sit on 8k, the top end and cam was designed for 11.5+ compression or better. My SBC had 12.5:1 comp along with other goodies. It was fun, especially on the street. The bottom end will only go as fast as the top end can supply it. I quit running a tach yrs ago, its sort of useless with a sbc. They rarely get valve float, which is an indication that you may have gone too far.

5500 rpm is more a limitation of the cam profile. I've run my crate SBC past 5500. My 1st SBC would sit on 8k, the top end and cam was designed for 11.5+ compression or better. My SBC had 12.5:1 comp along with other goodies. It was fun, especially on the street. The bottom end will only go as fast as the top end can supply it. I quit running a tach yrs ago, its sort of useless with a sbc. They rarely get valve float, which is an indication that you may have gone too far.

oh you can absolutely build them to spool WAY up, I just meant in stock format, there’s not a chance I’d worry about spoiling them up past 3000 rpm for extended periods of time.

Back to the original question, trailer it you will be a lot happier when you get home...or get an 80 series it will do 80mph all day long comfortably..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom