Chevota question? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I Did the trip from Vancouver BC Canada to Pismo beach and back home to Vancouver BC my wife has the trip documented with all gas stops and times and where we slept , I’ll ask her to get out her diary I can’t remember where we stopped ,but bring ear plugs, also I think after 6 hours I was finally able to get her up to cruising at 70mph and feel like we where not going to die ,, but it took me a day or so to get used to that speed , one day I drove 14 hours not fun. Fog ,rain and snow at around the town of Weed it was wild ,s***ty windshield wipers ,crappy headlights not fun take your time no rush I ususlly cruise closer To 60 mph comfortably. But sure feels slow on a long haul when everybody is flying by you. ,,take your time, took me three days to get down and two days to get home well not home stopped to load up on groceries and spent the night in Mt Vernon ,
A lot of driving in the dark for us in November that year ,Gets dark early if it isn’t the summer months ,,the I5 was fine for us. We run a 350 chev 4:11’s and 37 inch toyo tires, I still could of used and overdrive ,the old engine was screaming ,,

as @RWBeringer4x4 said , you dont need a stereo , better to listen the engine and drivetrain and keep an eye on the temp , oil pressur and fuel gauge , stop frequently and look for possible leaks like : fuel ,coolant , oil (engine, transfercase ,diffs ,brake )

can we see pics of that 40

1969-toyota-land-cruiser-fj-40.jpg

Does anyone know how/where I can find replacement/new dash knobs? Tried Redline but can't fond how to order!

Does anyone know how/where I can find replacement/new dash knobs? Tried Redline but can't fond how to order!

Call Justin at the shop.

I have a 74 with a FI 350, 4 speed and I have driven all over the place in my rig. You do have to stop and get fuel every 150 miles, and until you get better brakes I would keep it at 50-60.

Need more info! Is he at Redline, same number? Or is he someone else? Contact him here?

Jusin is at Redline, so just give them a call. The guys there are good. Justin is @RLMS , he may pop in and give some advice.

Thanks much!!! I'll call him tomorrow!

I have highway driven my rig all over the south west. Originally with the six and since 1983 with a V8, first a 283 and then a fresh 350 about five years ago. The Chevy motor is not real fond of high RPM’s if you want it to live long. They are kind of like the old Harley’s, not designed for continuous high (over 2700) rpm. I now have a way to do 80 mph all day and nite lol. With no tire wear from pavement.
C278657C-BE5F-4608-931E-7D6E5FB89FBD.jpeg

Man I'd just fly there. Buy supplies & tools in CA. Document your trip back on ih8mud. Wife can take pictures of your big ass grin as your driving. Plenty of helpful mudders along your route if you have troubles.
2x. Yes post trip reports. It sounds epic! Am a DOI fish bio in Vancouver WA. Had a '68 and '71. Now stuck in the early '60's. Stop for coffee, 5 min. off I-5.

I still remember the first time I took my FJ40 out of the ~20 mile radius around home....
Took the ferry to Seattle, drove 50 North... Parked and spent most of the day at some event...
Got back in the FJ40, started driving back and it died. After a bit of troubleshooting and some failed calls for help... Discovered it was out of gas, never mind the gas gauge showing 1/2 tank. (found over time that it went from full to 1/2 and stayed there no matter how empty the tank was.)
Wife finally shows up with gas can (and chain and come along, still wasn't sure what was wrong 2 hours earlier when she left). Fill it up with gas and start to follow her home. By now, it's late, ferries run too far apart, decided to take the drive down I5 from Everett to Tacoma in the rain and darkness.

Intermittent windshield wipers, not by design, just a bad ground.

Water seeping in between the windshield and the roof, PO didn't bolt that down, didn't seal, just kept spraying me.

Heater worked, high only, wiring on the resistor for low speed wasn't working (burned off?).

Headlights? there was enough traffic and streetlights my mid '70s sealed beam lighting technology wasn't much of an issue, it will be in less populated areas.

Very noisy.

Steering was OK. It's developed a bit of a wobble recently I need to look at, but back then, reasonably stable at 55. And I have front disks, my FJ40 stops well (after resolving some vacuum issues that made the booster more of a liability...).

And, stopping for gas every hour. Now understanding the 1/2 tank on the gauge means it's less then 1/2 full, but no real idea of how much less (even using the whole tank, it's still small).

Uhaul has trailers for $55 a day, if you decide that maybe this isn't exactly the kinda adventure you want on day one (I already had my FJ40 for at least a month by then, used a Uhaul trailer to get it home). You'll probably save on gas....

I have highway driven my rig all over the south west. Originally with the six and since 1983 with a V8, first a 283 and then a fresh 350 about five years ago. The Chevy motor is not real fond of high RPM’s if you want it to live long. They are kind of like the old Harley’s, not designed for continuous high (over 2700) rpm. I now have a way to do 80 mph all day and nite lol. With no tire wear from pavement.View attachment 2573188

a 350 small block is perfectly happy through 4000 rpm, so is a 283. That said at 2700+ rpm, with the exhaust as it’s currently set up on my rig, my EARS are not happy. A 350 SOUNDS like it’ll blow up at 3000rpm but I wouldn’t worry at all about holding it at 3500 on long trips if gearing made the necessary. I’d get more than a little nervous at 5000rpm.

Chevy advertises their crate SBC redlines at 5500 rpm and I am confident they’re right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom