Checking and changing motor mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fj moneypit

Cubic Zirconia Member
SILVER Star
Threads
I have a broken motor mount judging by my chewed up fan. The question is which one? I have the fan shoud and water pump out and figured this may be a good time to locate and replace mount. How to tell which is broken? How hard is it to just lift with jack and remove/replace? I've read other threads but they delt with 40 series. Just wonder if this can be done easily. Thanks for the help!

block of wood under the pan and a floor jack if you haven't got a cherry picker...usually it's the drivers side mount that tears- you should be able to tell within the first bump or three after touching the wood block with the jack...

block of wood under the pan and a floor jack if you haven't got a cherry picker...usually it's the drivers side mount that tears- you should be able to tell within the first bump or three after touching the wood block with the jack...

Yep, block of wood and jack under the oil pan works well. You may have to loosen the good mount to gain enough clearance to replace the broken mount.

Yep, block of wood and jack under the oil pan works well. You may have to loosen the good mount to gain enough clearance to replace the broken mount.
good call...

You should just replace both, as I think they come in a set, if you get aftermarket. They're easy. Sort of.

Thanks everybody! I figured it was probably the driverside since that seems to be the one broken in most threads on here. I'll start with that one first. @Spike Strip I was planning replacing both, that is if the broken one goes well, we will see.

Little easier when you've got some of the front stuff removed. Trick, if there is one, is to lift the engine just enough to take the tension off the mounts/studs/bolts.

Use a large block or wide piece of 3/4" ply to spread lift over the skid of the oil pan.

Don't drink anything clear before 8AM.

Been a while, but I don't think I had to buy a set. I just bought the broken driver's side one and replaced it.

So I lifted under oil pan and didn't see a mount move. I know one is broken judging by fan and the fact that I drove around quick corner and heard a terrible noise that sound like fan hitting shoud. Also hit a bump and had same noise. Not sure what's going on. I took pics

Passenger-
e18d63fafc1df64d66c49f7684500db3_zpse9471342.jpg

Driverside-
8fe4a25825cc241a48875641c020a98a_zps340b4945.jpg

Driverside covered in oil or steering fluid but I think PO replaced ps pump not long ago. No leaks and fluid always same level. Ds looks larger than other. That's if I'm looking at the right stuff. Lol.

I'm not recognizing the passenger's side photo (I have a '86)
But your driver's side mount is definitely messed up if the engine is lifting up like that when it's torqued.
You can't see the tear in the rubber if the engine is setting on the mount.
The motor mount is retained on the frame bracket and engine bracket with two nuts and washers. One on each side.
Remove the nuts, lift the engine, slide out the mount, replace it with new.
The "hard part" is lifting the engine high enough to slide the old mount out.

Here are some pics from a '86 for reference.

motor-mounts.jpg

drivers-side.jpg

passenger.jpg

Take a wider pic of that passenger mount. somethings odd..

X2 that passenger side mount looks like it was replaced with a piece of rubber and a bolt. Not a stock mother mount. It may just be the pic but something looks wrong.

Dyno

Thanks for info. Just a bad pic of passenger mount. I will try to change both mounts. It seems you need a good amount of clearance to get mount studs to clear.

image.jpg

I didn't find I really needed all that much room.

Howerver, I did find it necessary to loosen both sides in order to get the engine lifted high enough to get the driver side out. So don't button up the driver side until you have them both removed and the new ones sitting in there.

John

@John McVicker did you loosen the top nut on passenger side to removed driver side mount? I removed bottom nut on driver side and loosened bottom on passenger to see if motor would lift off driver mount when checking. It seems you'd only have to loosen bottom of passenger side and remove both driver side nuts to get driver side mount out. I don't want to loosen the top of passenger side until I'm ready to replace if I can avoid it.

Fj money pit,

I am almost certain that DID NOT remove the top nut on the passenger side.

And I did not have to completely remove the bottom nut on the passenger side. Only enough to let the engine raise up just a tad more so I could get my hand under the driver side and wiggle that mount out. Make double certain the engine is solidly supported when you have your hand in there.

All in all a easy job really.

John

Last edited:
I just wanted to add some additional thoughts for anyone who might come across this: check your exhaust clearance - with how mine was setup, the bottle jack and 2x4 would create more than enough clearance for the passenger motor mount, but the exhaust tubing was stopping the drivers side from going high enough to get the motor mount out. This necessitated disconnecting the exhaust tubing from the manifold section. In the process, I needed to get new exhaust gaskets. The exhaust portion may be difficult to get back on as well since it is a tight fit, you could try disconnecting all the exhaust mounting points, reconnecting it and working your way back rather than try and squeeze it back on in the front of the engine. If it looks like you might encounter this issue, it might be worth having some gaskets on hand just incase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom