Check VSC System & Engine Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am thinking same but I wonder if Toyota still services a 13 year old truck?
Sure. The newest ones are still practically identical. The electronics architecture is common across many Toyota's of that generation.

Guys I came across this video. While it’s on Tundra and not LC200, the engines are same as mine is also 4.6L. So is this my issue?

I had a similar issue 2010 LX570. 134k.
It was the O2 Sensor.
The computer will shut off engine capabilities to prevent damage if the sensor is bad.

I gave it to Toyota in the end. They are asking $1750 for parts and labor of following to fix the issue

AIR PUMP REPLACEMENT
AIR INJECTION VALVE 2 PIECE
AIR INJECTION DRIVER
AIR INJECTION VALVE CONNECTOR
ECU INSTALATION & PROGRAMING

what do you guys think? Something seriously wrong with engine?

My suspicion is that you have at least two separate and unrelated issues.

Of the codes you posted they are looking at the Secondary Air Injection System (SAIS) codes. In my experience, this has nothing to do with your Traction Control, VSC, etc lights. Those are likely rekated to the ABS code, which this mechanic isn't even addressing.

As counterintuitive as this may sound, I wouldn't trust a dealer. Find a good small indy mechanic that has a good word of mouth reputation.

That is a shotgun, throw all of the SAIS parts at it "solution".

Depending on the code, since it is the SAIS system, check out the Hewitt bypass kit.

There is no ECU programming in the SAIS driver ECUs. I put in the pair from from a Tundra into a 200 and it worked fine (same part numbers), completely plug and play.

However, your Traction Control and VSC dash lights and limp mode are more than likely to have been caused by damage during the alignment- where the tech either damaged or disconnected your ABS wheel sensor and associated wiring. This should be visible in Techstream real time monitoring of the ABS signals.

It sounds to me like they are trying to take advantage of your lack of automotive knowledge.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust a dealer. Find a good small indy mechanic that has a good word of mouth reputation.

That is a shotgun, throw all of the SAIS parts at it "solution".

Depending on the code, since it is the SAIS system, check out the Hewitt bypass kit.

There is no ECU programming in the SAIS driver ECUs. I put in the pair from from a Tundra into a 200 and it worked fine (same part numbers), completely plug and play.

It sounds to me like they are trying to take advantage of your lack of automotive knowledge.
Ok so im really confused now. Some recommend me to go to Toyota as these things are complicated and I shouldn't trust a local indy mechanic while some say the opposite. What my concern is this, even if I pay all Toyota is asking, considering it involves the term "valves", does it mean my engine is almost done for and I should probably look to get rid of this truck once these repairs are done?

SAIS isn't a critical system. It is an emissions related feature that has two fans that pump air into the engine to make the emissions lower at startup. It isn't essential and it isn't the end of your engine. You could run hundreds of thousands of miles with a broken (or no) SAIS.

The bigger issue is the ABS issue. Also not fatal to the engine, but it disables a bunch of safety systems like anti lock brakes and traction control until you get it fixed and the codes go away.

Completely separate issues, and most likely different root causes. Only SAIS is being addressed by the parts and labor listed two posts ago.

You need a good trustworthy mechanic that knows these cars and can do proper diagnostics and not just throw parts at codes.

I think it is plausible for the ECM to trigger VSC codes because it plays a large part in how the VSC operates (cutting throttle).

But yes an indy can often do a better job of diagnosis vs just throwing parts at the codes.

I think it is plausible for the ECM to trigger VSC codes because it plays a large part in how the VSC operates (cutting throttle).

But yes an indy can often do a better job of diagnosis vs just throwing parts at the codes.
Agreed, but based on the parts listed, they are talking about the SAIS driver ECMs that sit between the fuse/relay box and the brake master/booster. Not the main ECU/ECM.

I had to troubleshoot the SAIS system when the Slee compressor bracket cut through one if the wires to the driver. IMO, there is absolutely no chance that all of the SAIS components failed all at once and ALL need replacement.

That is a huge red flag that they are throwing parts at it and/or taking advantage of the OP.

A bit of a sidebar, but I have friends who are professional mechanics and they tell me that the way young mechanics are trained today results in a lot of them plugging in the diagnostic computer, reading codes, and replacing parts, rather than actually doing diagnostics and figuring out what is really happening by troubleshooting and decomposing problems until one gets to plausible root causes. One of them was a dealer mechanic that went independent largely due to this, and makes a good living actually troubleshooting and fixing only what the customer actually needs fixed.

Last edited:
Agreed, but based on the parts listed, they are talking about the SAIS driver ECMs that sit between the fuse/relay box and the brake master/booster. Not the main ECU/ECM.

I had to troubleshoot the SAIS system when the Slee compressor bracket cut through one if the wires to the driver. IMO, there is absolutely no chance that all of the SAIS components failed all at once and ALL need replacement.

That is a huge red flag that they are throwing parts at it and/or taking advantage of the OP.

A bit of a sidebar, but I have friends who are professional mechanics and they tell me that the way young mechanics are trained today results in a lot of them plugging in the diagnostic computer, reading codes, and replacing parts, rather than actually doing diagnostics and figuring out what is really happening bully troubleshooting and decomposing probelms until you get to plausible root causes. One of them was a dealer mechanic that went independent largely due to this, and makes a good living actually troubleshooting and fixing only what the customer actually needs fixed.
I don’t doubt any of that, and agree replacing the everything SAIS is completely inappropriate. I’m just saying it is plausible that this isn’t related to the ABS wires, in spite of how coincidental it seems.

Search Hewitt Technology. They make a bypass fix for the air induction system. It fixed my 2011 LX

Got it back from Toyota today. Everything fixed. Total cost was $1750 for parts replacement + labor

AIR PUMP REPLACEMENT
AIR INJECTION VALVE 2 PIECE
AIR INJECTION DRIVER
AIR INJECTION VALVE CONNECTOR
ECU INSTALATION & PROGRAMING

Thank you everyone here for your guidance and suggestions. Really appreciate it.

The exact same situation just happened in my 2010.

120k miles.

I just had new alternator and battery installed after being left on the side of the road in July.

Bought it 2016 with 44k mikes, no issues ever, now it seems like it’s falling apart!

IMG_3530.jpeg

The exact same situation just happened in my 2010.

120k miles.

I just had new alternator and battery installed after being left on the side of the road in July.

Bought it 2016 with 44k mikes, no issues ever, now it seems like it’s falling apart!

View attachment 3413706
4 lo light is also blinking not solid

4 lo light is also blinking not solid
You have to get the codes read. If you aren't mechanically inclined find a trusted independent mechanic. I have learned through similar experience that the SAIS faults will cause all of these lights. I have similar behavior, and I suspect my issues are SAIS issues despite having a Hewitt Technologies bypass installed. Without getting the codes read, no one will be able to give any advice on how to proceed so I would do that first if I were you.

I'm amazed at all the panic around the VSC System message. Toyota's implementation of this really leaves confusion and Toyota would have been better off to just display a "check engine" light. After all, the message typically has nothing to do with the VSC system and the code that is thrown is the real key to understanding what's wrong. People... READ THE CODE before you panic.

I'm amazed at all the panic around the VSC System message. Toyota's implementation of this really leaves confusion and Toyota would have been better off to just display a "check engine" light. After all, the message typically has nothing to do with the VSC system and the code that is thrown is the real key to understanding what's wrong. People... READ THE CODE before you panic.
Modern stability control systems save lives and toyota is merely alerting the driver that it may not operate as intended. If the engine can't make the power it expects, VSC may not work.

I agree many people are getting distracted away from what is ultimately a check engine light issue, but I totally understand why it is the way it is.

Coming from the Land Rover world, all these lights coming on at the same time essentially means you are sitting in a 3 ton paperweight. They got me at first so I understand how someone would get worked up about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom