Cheap (Practically Free) RTT Trailer Quick Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I like my big honkin' soft shell fold-out roof top tent. It is freakin' huge. There is space for the kids and me with room to spare. The mattress is comfortable. It has withstood some torrential rains with no leaks and no drama. What I don't like though is having to pack it up every morning or every time I need to move my truck. Increasingly, I have been leaving the RTT hoisted up in the ceiling of my shop and packing a ground tent for camping instead. I started looking into M416 trailers and such to mount the RTT onto, but they are pricey and I am cheap...then it dawned on me! I have a 20-year-old 5'x7' utility trailer that has been sitting under a shed collecting dust for 5 years ever since I got a larger one and I have a 15-year-old pickup truck ladder rack sitting out in the woods that hasn't moved in a couple of years. Could these two unused pieces be combined to make a $0.00 budget RTT trailer? It seems like most of my camping is being done either at the barn, URE Group Camp, Shadowlands or at a state park that has easy road access. My thought is that, while a military-style trailer would obviously be better for "overlanding," I can get my little utility trailer into 95 percent of the places I camp with no problem. Let's see what we can do.

I set the old ladder rack down onto the little trailer and the width was perfect. It was way too long though. I had to chop it down.
IMG_0285[1].JPG

Next up was an axle flip to gain a little ground clearance and the chopped-off front section got sleeved and welded back on.

IMG_0309[1].JPG

I added a tongue jack ($30) and sprayed the whole thing with an old half-used gallon of Rustoleum in my Harbor Freight HVLP gun.

IMG_3225[1].JPG

IMG_3226[1].JPG

Next up, I will lower the RTT down onto the trailer and figure out how I am going to mount it.

IMG_3226[1].JPG

IMG_0285[1].JPG

IMG_0309[1].JPG

IMG_3225[1].JPG

IMG_3226[1].JPG

Last edited:
I like it Dave. I’m in the process of building an overland trailer right now and may some day start a thread on it. I recently posted a for sale ad of a cheap trailer on Facebook that would make a cool overland trailer, I also saw at the army surplus place in Asheboro for $150 a couple m-101 chasis(no bed). What you have here looks like an even cheaper functional option. I think that for not a whole lot of money, if you wanted to upgrade what you have, you could put a different axle and some bigger tires under that.

Staying tuned!

I like it! Waiting to see more.

I've considered building a trailer out of the back half of a mini truck. Lots of options for tonneau cover or camper shell with possibly a RTT. The axle would already come with shocks and springs and I would just need to weld up a hitch.

1584800724185.png

Do it! A buddy did that with an old Datsun bed. It turned out awesome

Do you have any plans to enclose the space under the tent? Or leaving it open?
I think I will just leave it open. I have lots of storage boxes that will fit nicely underneath. It will be nice to be able to pull them out from any side.

Welded some tabs on the old ladder rack and mounted the tent up. Took the whole deal for a drive and it pulls nicely with no load. One of my favorite things about this setup is that I can unzip and remove the cover standing in the ground. Also, the window bow rods can be installed from outside. Overall, I’m going to call this little build a success!

3B482552-B3E2-4921-ACDF-3A206CAD60A0.jpeg
56908776-37CA-48D9-B45B-9D4661921AAC.jpeg
7AE6D19D-8A45-4459-AFF3-7780152D114C.jpeg
74263FDC-4581-40F6-BEB1-51212A42A6A1.jpeg
4139D377-AE00-4D52-B89A-E164BC621824.jpeg

So far I have only spent $30 on a tongue jack. The rest was built from junk I had laying around. I will need to spend a little money on it. I need to at least buy a spare tire. I may buy bigger tires. We will see.

I know I am not going to win any “best of show” awards at Overland Expo with this Sanford and Son setup. I don’t care. For me, this little project is more about putting to use a couple of old pieces of hardware that were just wasting away and combining them to provide some flexibility with how I can use my RTT.

Last edited:
Which rigs rims will you match it to? I’m guessing whichever one needs the most offset and has 6 lugs?

But then again, all your junk has different size tires, right?
I’m just going to keep cheap trailer tires and wheels on it. I can fit a little larger trailer tire and wheel with the same lug pattern if I decide to do that. I won’t be doing any real over landing with this setup, I can easily swap the tent from the trailer to the 80 using the electric hoist. Four bolts install/ remove it from the trailer and eight bolts to install / remove from the 80. The tent lives inside my shop hoisted up in the ceiling unless I am camping. My hope is that keeping the tent out of the elements will extend its life.
F53C282D-4676-4361-B996-5D0DBF32F94D.jpeg
B8E5F2B9-E91B-4B6E-8D5A-7738CC8F5AAE.jpeg

One more nice thing about this set-up is that with the tent removed I can still use the trailer as a trailer. I can leave the ladder rack attached and haul ladders or kayaks (probably too short for a canoe) or loosen eight clamps and the ladder rack lifts right off to carry taller items like a couple of dirt bikes or a lawn mower or a four wheeler...you know...the normal kinds of things the trailer was made to haul.

I have that same overhead winch from my business. I installed it in my carport to raise the top off the 40 and it does a splendid job.

I clearly do not have enough “junk” laying around my house. This is an amazing use of existing projects. Hats off to you Dave. One question though....

Why didn’t you find a use for the plasma cutter on this project?

I clearly do not have enough “junk” laying around my house. This is an amazing use of existing projects. Hats off to you Dave. One question though....

Why didn’t you find a use for the plasma cutter on this project?
Thanks, Travis. I did use the plasma cutter to cut the flat stock to make mounting tabs for the tent. That’s about it. Not much cutting on this project.

Nice work Dave! As one who has spent the fall considering where to mount a RTT and now temporarily has it on top of his cruiser, your ingenuity gives me plenty more to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom