Cheap Mods/Upgrades Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Diff breather installation. (those one-way valves cannot be considered breathers)
York OBA (well it was really cheap ($75) until i got fancy with it)
2F valvecover (for those with F's) ($25)

I've found there just aren't as many cheap upgrades for my 40 as my 80's. I guess the stuff that needs upgrading is pretty major. (brakes, steering etc).

Pertronix (or Mel's or whatever you like) ignition. No more points ever! YAY!

Learning to adjust your brakes properly is almost free. It'll only cost you some time and an old flathead screwdriver.

Welding up my rear diff only cost a couple bucks in welding rod and about $8 in gear oil.

Sending letters to your local government representatives regarding off-highway recreation issues is cheap too.

I'm sure I've got more since I'm always working on a strict budget...

Going to college to get a degree 40,000 dollars

Working day to day to pay to monthly bills 900 dollars

Buying a Cruiser and falling in love 3000 dollars

Learning to be your own mechanic PRICELESS

ian said:
CruisinGA: purpose of 2f cover on F?

It's aluminum. Looks a hell of alot better, wont rust.

ian said:
CruisinGA: purpose of 2f cover on F?

No more bowed out piece of lousy sheetmetal that won't seal worth a damn. The aluminum holds its shape. You can't even CONSIDER detailing a 67-74 motor with the factory steel valve cover.

There's a parallel thread running in the 60s section. Good stuff

Just remembered a good one: replace the dim inst cluster bulbs. IIRC, they're 3 watt, and 5 watt is available. That's a 66 percent increase!

take off everything you dont need. Roll bar-off! engine out! tranny dropped,headlights gone, bumper off and take off the windsheild..........that will get your weight down to a reasonable area.....

GM HEI use a big cap dist, change the timing gears and your good to go, no more points!! less than $75. Use a top link for a 3 point hitch as an anti axle wrap bar $40 and no broken pinions.

On the gm Hei... make sure the timing gear is at the proper depth on the shaft:)

Head rest options.
I have found that there a few head rests that will work with the factory seats. (Mazda 626 or MX6) work pretty good just have them upholstered to match your seat material. I also pulled the ones from my 2002 Montero Limited and they fit also, but thoes are from the wifes car so i cant keep them.

el cheapo FJ40 ideas

Allen head diff drain bolts $5

Repaint with rattle can Rustoleum $40

Replace removed frame rivets with bolts (at steering gear mount) saves 6 months downtime to repair frame cracks

Use Jeep CJ7 pitman arm on Saginaw steering conversion, save $$ over identical part listed for TLC conversion

Put 5/8" rod inside tie rod to help prevent bending, saves on replacement tie rods

recarpet with indoor outdoor Home Depot carpeting $9 Clean with compressed air

Customise by flipping the bezel - free

remove bulb guards from dash lights - free

Interior Windshield Wiper...

Great for when running with top off, always get back spray when it rains. Also great for clearing dew off during spring/fall mornings. Total cost - $3.00 and the "holder" is free. (While you're looking, check out the mileage... 20 miles, although the true mileage may vary slightly)
100_0385.JPG

Last edited:
Desertdave said:
Customise by flipping the bezel - free

I like it- Don't forget to drill two holes and mount your Lisc. plate on the Bezel!

OK, brake system cheap mod (now remember you hear this FIRST from me :D ):

Get aftermarket brake pads (Ferodo, Pagid, Bendix Ultimate etc.) for a 94+ Nissan 200SX. These will fit into your pre-91 cruiser or Hilux caliper and offer better performance than the usual factory pads. They're about the same size, but they come with better pad compounds. Choose the street rated pads since your 4x4 isn't likely to see much road racing speeds. Stay away from metal pads since they need to get warm before they really grip.

Dave

Bailey said:
Great for when running with top off, always get back spray when it rains. Also great for clearing dew off during spring/fall mornings. Total cost - $3.00 and the "holder" is free. (While you're looking, check out the mileage... 20 miles, although the true mileage may vary slightly)

Holy s***...I have 3 of those. 2 in Buicks and one in a Cruiser.

Brilliant.

Bailey said:
Great for when running with top off, always get back spray when it rains. Also great for clearing dew off during spring/fall mornings. Total cost - $3.00 and the "holder" is free.

That's gospel, bro!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom