Cheap harness for generic led headlights designed to work on toyota ground based headlight systems. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
I got cruiser trash's koito harness dongle to try on my cheap generic led harness not triggering the High beam indicator. It kinda works and kinda doesn't (might be my hibeam switch).

So I was trying to see about getting a koito harness to swap out.

But I found this instead. It's a Harness designed to adapt ground-switched systems to positive-based based. And it's less than $20.

Going to get one and give it a shot, see if it works. My led headlight doesn't draw much current anyway.

Though someone else might be interested to know these exist.

True Mods H6054 H4 LED Headlight Wiring Harness [Negative Switched Conversion] [Fused] H4 Head Light Relay Harness Kit for 9003 H5054 H6054LL 6014 6052 6053 Subaru Toyota Head Lights

Last edited:
@CruiserTrash also has a plug and play fix for the high beam indicator, He would be the goto for any headlight issues.
He said he bought one from me and it doesn’t exactly work right. Makes sense: he’s running LED headlights and my HBIM is designed for a halogen setup, specifically the Koito kit.

@CruiserTrash also has a plug and play fix for the high beam indicator, He would be the goto for any headlight issues.

Yeah, I knew using CruiserTrash's dongle with a Cheap Amazon harness was a gamble, even if both were positive switched on ground switched cruisers.

CruiserTrash's dongle wasn't that expensive and I figured it would be an interesting experiment with LEDs on cruisers.
Worst case I had to go get a koito harness. instead of the one that came with my led headlights.

I need to remove the dongle and re-verify the "before" behavior, but I think before "stay on" hi beams and "flash" hi beams both worked, but no indicator light.

After "flash" hi beams work and has an indicator, but the "stay on" hi beams don't work at all. (Weird right?)

But as I said, I need to verify my memory that both kinds of hi-beams worked before and that my switch didn't decide to die at an unlucky time. Still, the result was interesting, and no reflection whatsoever on CruiserTrash's dongle, I'm using it in a way never intended.

I do wish I knew more about how it worked, if it reproduces after I remove the dongle. I bet it's a "DOH!" obvious bug I just can't see yet. I wonder if the polarity is backwards for some reason and the LED is blocking it.

If I can find a simple way to get the Hi-beam indicator working, I can register my truck as "normal" instead of antique, and I will no longer have any driving limitations.
I can probably rig it up to work with an extra relay that connects the low plug wire to the ground, That's on the palate too.

Last edited:
I used that exact Amazon harness a few years ago and I don't remember exactly why but it didn't work right, maybe it was just the high beam indicator still not working. I did end up modifying the cheap harness to make a working harness as detailed here: Instructions for LED Headlight upgrade Post #103

It would be interesting to know if the cheap harness + a solution like CruiserTrash's Koito HBIM would make an easy working solution.

I used that exact Amazon harness a few years ago and I don't remember exactly why but it didn't work right, maybe it was just the high beam indicator still not working. I did end up modifying the cheap harness to make a working harness as detailed here: Instructions for LED Headlight upgrade Post #103

It would be interesting to know if the cheap harness + a solution like CruiserTrash's Koito HBIM would make an easy working solution.
I’d be amenable to adapting the HBIM to LED headlight kits if there weren’t 500 different ones all with different harnesses. It’s a lot of R&D for a moving target.

If y’all could just decide on one LED kit that would be great haha.

I actually got the Amazon cheap harness working with CTs dongle. It was an id10t error.

Last edited:
I actually got the Amazon cheap harness wotkingcwity CTs dingle. It was an id10t error.
When you get the chance can you give me some part numbers for the LED lights and the harness. If my module is working I’d like to document exactly what it’s working with. Thanks!

I don't think the headlight matters, but this is the harness.

KASLIGHT H4 Relay Harness 1Set 2 Headlight Harness H6054 7x6 6054 Headlight H4 Relay Harness Toyota Pickup Headlights H4 Wiring Harness Kit For Toyota 95-97 Tacoma 88-95 Pickup Fix Dual Ground Problem https://a.co/d/hjKHwss

I'll try to dig up the led headlight link too, A quick run of my orders in Amazon didn't turn it up. .

I used ones with full ring drls that blink yellow with the turn signals, I had to wire that part up myself, the harness just does the basic stuff.

I just noticed the harness is supposed to be Toyota friendly, but the indicator didn't work till I added the dongle.

It was super dim, so I just swapped all the cluster lights over to led, as I had all the parts on hand.
I bet cleaning the ground would have done it too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom