Changing over to a part time 4WD and fuel economy. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get your hands on a tuned up turbo diesel version that is anything but a slouch, push it along some mountain roads, then it becomes apparent there's definite difference in handling.

I miss my hdj80 :steer:

That sounds super fun!!!!!

Yeah, I did get to briefly drive a turboed 80 with the 1fzfe, it was fun. If I could afford it I would totally v8 swap my 80.

Can be.

People say an 80 is not a sports car, but with a manual trans and enough power to continually find the limits of handling and traction, it sure becomes a fun machine to play with.
And it's a completely different beast to a sluggish 1fzfe with an auto slush box behind it
I drive my HZJ80 like a sports car lol. I agree, manaul transmission, driven properly, and it's a lot of fun. That's where the part time can be fun too, kicking the rear out. I have a slightly negative caster angle on the front, and with part time, the steering is super light. I can swing this thing around like it's nothing.

And as for power, I'm still leaving everyone behind at the lights. Rev to 2000 and pop the clutch, and it's basically launch control. On a diesel with the low end torque, and all the power going to the rear wheels, the thing basically hurls itself forward to 20kph from a standing stop in a fraction of a second. And I can change gears faster than any auto, guaranteed, at the best shift points.

I drive my HZJ80 like a sports car lol. I agree, manaul transmission, driven properly, and it's a lot of fun. That's where the part time can be fun too, kicking the rear out. I have a slightly negative caster angle on the front, and with part time, the steering is super light. I can swing this thing around like it's nothing.

And as for power, I'm still leaving everyone behind at the lights. Rev to 2000 and pop the clutch, and it's basically launch control. On a diesel with the low end torque, and all the power going to the rear wheels, the thing basically hurls itself forward to 20kph from a standing stop in a fraction of a second. And I can change gears faster than any auto, guaranteed, at the best shift points.

Ratbag!! :lol: :steer:

I didn't realize the diesels had so much more power. Now I want one.

I didn't realize the diesels had so much more power. Now I want one.

They are capable of far more power with some basic tuning and a handful of mods.
Toyota tuned the 80 series turbo diesel very conservatively. They are capable of huge torque, and big increases in power.

All depends how much you're willing to spend.

For low dollar 30% increase in power and torque:
3" exhaust
Intercooler
Turn up the wick on the stock injector pump
Increase boost with the stock turbo
gauges to monitor your tune

For 50-100% increase in power and torque, as above, plus aftermarket turbo, aftermarket air intake, performance build up of injector pump, high output injectors.

with standard turbo, 3" exhaust and a cheeky tune, a 2.7 tonne Land Cruiser will surprise most other vehicles at the lights.

Spend 5-10k, and it'll put most to shame.

obviously, it's not gonna match a high performance sports car or V8, but they are torquey beasts and lots of fun

my hdj81's 1:13 of glory.
stock turbo, 18-22psi boost, tuned up stock fuel injector pump, 3" exhaust. No other power mods
Running 4" lift, 35s, 5speed, 4.11 diff gears.
This was 2nd gear low range. Idle to airborne?? in 15-20 seconds, on a trail that is tough to walk

Last edited:
If you don't do hardcore off road much part-time is the way to go. Even so I don't use 4wd mode on dirt unless it's really knarly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom