Changing gear lube...What Weight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm fixing to change the lube in differentials,transmission,and transfer case on my '78 FJ40. I won't be using synthetics on such a high-mileage vehicle due to leak potential.
Can someone tell me the weight gear lube and capacity PLEASE. ???

Yup, 80W90 used here too :D Get yourself a lube pump while you're at it. They are cheap and make it MUCH easier to get the fluids up in the tranny and tcase. Have fun!!

http://doityourself.com/store/6847610.htm

80W90 here as well, and second the lube pump. this is the job i chipped half my front tooth off in.

can anyone convert gallons and quarts to real measurements (metric)

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=1;threadid=5059;start=msg38932#msg38932 date=1063034214]
80W90 here as well, and second the lube pump. this is the job i chipped half my front tooth off in.

can anyone convert gallons and quarts to real measurements (metric)
[/quote]

Here's a great link to keep handy for conversions:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/

thanks heaps, so basically 2 liters for each

there is a fill plug on everything...when fluid drips out of the plug hole, it's full. If you have a rotated front/rear axle (SOA or something) then a couple extra "plunges" on the pump will overfill it enuf to keep the pinions lubed.

I've yet to measure...lol

I bought a 5 gallon bucket of 80/90 from Autozone for $23. And a industrial pump from Napa for $50. This makes changing/adding oil under the cruiser VERY easy, quick and cheap.

So 80w90 it is! Thanks again. :banana: :banana: :banana:

My Manual printed in 1986 says SAE90 for the Diffs, Transfercase, Gearbox and Steering Box. ::)

I currently have Valvoline Hypoid 85W/140 in the Diffs, Transfercase and Gearbox, And Valvoline LS90 in the Steering Box.
Previously had Mobil 80W/90 in the gearbox and I could feel and hear the Syncros have a huge whinge every time I placed it into gear. :mad: With the Valvoline Hypoid 85W/140 it's so smooth and no clunking Noises. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom