Center console power install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris FJ80

SILVER Star
Threads
Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas to this thread: Show us your center console power outlet installs

I finally completed my install, so wanted to post the completed project here.

I wanted to do an OEM Style mod, with (mostly) OEM components installed to look like they belonged there.

From Toyota I used a 115V switch and a 115V/100W outlet. Rather than repurpose a Matrix inverter, I found a nice, small form factor 150W inverter on Amazon, so went with it. I also used Blue Sea 12VDC and dual USB outlets.

A few pics of the components below

01 IMG_2486.jpg
02 IMG_2487.jpg
03 IMG_2491.jpg
04 outlet.png
05 inverter.png

Next task was to mount the hardware. I put the outlets about as high as I could fit them. I wanted to keep them as far away as possible from the kids shoes and the rear heater vent. A little bit of a tight fit as you can see in the final picture, but it all did fit there.

06 IMG_2215.jpg
07 IMG_2217.jpg
08 IMG_2222.jpg
09 IMG_2735.jpg

Last edited:
The next step was to find a good location for the inverter. I went with only 150W since I have not yet come across a need for more than this up front. (I have plans to install a higher wattage inverter in the rear, but that is a future project...)

It fit perfectly in between the body of the console and the cupholder/changeholder/phoneholder cavity. I was able to fit it in there and still allow room for the vent port. I needed a few dabs of silicone to hold it in place.

10 IMG_2719.jpg
11 IMG_2720.jpg
12 IMG_2733.jpg

Next pics show the wiring from the 12VDC and USB outlets. I wired them up to a weatherpack connector and routed the wires through some cable braid. I have an auxiliary fuse box mounted under the passenger seat from which I drew the power (yellow wire) and connected that and ground to the other side of the weatherpack connector.

Note: the relay is for my middle row seat heaters, not this mod

13 IMG_2238.jpg
14 IMG_2241.jpg

The next task was to pull the power for the inverter. initially I planned to use the same fused source for both the 12VDC/USB and the inverter, but upon thinking about it more, I did not want a blown inverter to result in power loss to the 12VDC, so put them on separate fuses. The blue wire is power for the inverter, coming through the 15A fuse. The 5A fuse is for the control power (through the switch to the relay)

You can see the relay for the inverter sitting loose atop the seat heater relay -- I wanted to mount it in the same general location, but it was a little too big to mount above the seat heater relay, so ended up installing it inside the bracket that holds the rear of the console, just behind the seat heater relay

15 IMG_2494.jpg

16 IMG_2495.jpg

17 IMG_2378.jpg

The next task was to wire up the switch. I needed to connect it to the 5A control power, to the relay, and to ground. Additionally, I needed to tap into the illumination circuit somewhere. The easiest place to access for this was the wires that feed the bulb under the shifter. These wires feed the blue connector in the pics below.

As a side note, tool #3 in the astro pneumatic kit works great to pop up the retaining pieces on the connectors. You can see this in use in one of the pics below (tool #1 is the one to use on the actual terminal pins.) Great Terminal Pin Removal Tool for 80 Series

With the pins removed from the connector, I had access to the wires to make the splices.

18 IMG_2741.jpg
19 IMG_2744.jpg
20 IMG_2745.jpg

The next few pics show the splices I made into the illumination circuit. The black and yellow wires were the ones that will go to the switch.

21 IMG_2749.jpg
22 IMG_2758.jpg
23 IMG_2762.jpg

Next few pics show the connector and splicing the 5 wires into it.

24 IMG_2779.jpg
25 IMG_2780.jpg
26 IMG_2781.jpg
27 IMG_2783.jpg

Next few pics show completing the wiring harness: wrapping in braid and shrink wrap and reinserting the terminal pins in the connector itself.

28 IMG_2786.jpg
29 IMG_2789.jpg
30 IMG_2791.jpg
31 IMG_2792.jpg
32 IMG_2796.jpg

The next couple of pics show routing the wire harness up through the dash and the switch mounted in my new BHICKS switch bezel.

33 IMG_2797.jpg
34 IMG_2800.jpg
35 IMG_2805.jpg

Finally, the finished product. Switch on the dash. Outlets seen from the middle row.

I have an EWD I made up so I can remember what I did when the day comes that I need to tear back into this (I might add another outlet up front, or increase the inverter size at some point), but the file is too large to upload. Once I figure out how to store it as a smaller file I will edit this post to attach it here. EDIT -- see next post for EWD

Thanks for looking. Hopefully this helps others that want to get something like this done

36 IMG_2801.jpg
37 IMG_2243.jpg

Last edited:
Adding EWD

Attachments

• Middle Row Inverter v2 - for posting reduced file size.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
Dude nice work! Very clean.

I must admit I got inspiered by your original post asking for Show us your center console power outlet installs
Just ordered all my connectors and wotnots.. and I'll be doing this next weekend!
Very well done.. I mught have to copy your inverter idea.. Any info on the inverter ? Brand size etc?

Here is the inverter model: Wagan Corp. 2395-5 Smart AC 150 USB.

I bought it on Amazon back in October, but it looks like Wagan might be discontinuing this model. As of right now there are a few left on Amazon, but it might make sense to look around a bit to see if you can find a better deal. I paid $20 in October shipped free through Amazon Prime, but today it is not offered through Prime and Amazon vendors want $41.95 for it

Any clue if the terminal connector for the LX450 fridge(at least I think it's for the fridge) could be converted to a 12V/USB power? Do you know where I could find a female end? I noticed it in your heater switch install thread; here's your picture for reference
image.jpeg

No reason you could not use this as the 12 VDC power source. I would add a fuse inline (<20A) so this blows before the rear heater fuse (which supplies this connector) if you have an issue with the inverter.

I don't think I have come across the matching 3-pin connector, so don't know how easy or difficult it is to acquire.

I think it is pin 1 (left hand pin when connector latch is up) / blue-white wire that you want to tap into, but you should check/verify.

Any clue if the terminal connector for the LX450 fridge(at least I think it's for the fridge) could be converted to a 12V/USB power? Do you know where I could find a female end? I noticed it in your heater switch install thread; here's your picture for referenceView attachment 1183580

If i am not mistaken those plugs are for the heated seats option its all wired and ready to work, you just need to get the OEM heated switches.

I think Luke84 is referring to the 3-pin connector, which is for the ice/cold box option on non-US 80s. You are correct that the other two connectors are for the seat heater switches.

Sent from my iPad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom