CDL Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to install the CDL Switch, however the reccomended place, to the left of the flasher switch, is taken by the factory alarm system light.

Has anyone done this with this factory alarm insert?

Are the wires long enough to put either the CDL Switch or the alarm insert lower in the console?

Or do I even need the alarm insert?

Byron,
IF you have a true VIP, yes you want the light. It also contains the glass breakage sensor. I don't recall the orientation of those when both are present in a 96. Beo has locks and I think also VIP. Lets ask him.

Beo, what say ye? :bow:

On my 97 the wires for the alarm light and sensor were plenty long enough to move it down to the left of the rear heater switch. Easy mod, takes about 10-15 Minutes. Slee has explicit instructions on how to remove the dash, which will save you a lot of time and frustration.

Yeah, it is a VIP with that sensor as well. I've had the dash of a couple of times, so no big deal.

I'll check the wires out as Taz suggest.

Would that sensor be less effective if it is down low instead of higher up on the dash?

Another option is to move the rear defroster down next to the rear heater.  Then use its spot for the CDL.  I thought it made more sense to group the rear heater and rear defroster next to eachother. (That and I couldn't get the VIP thing out of the dash. :ugh:  )

Thanks, it looks like I should be able to move something to make room for it.

Curran-
I like your idea of moving the rear derost down.

Byron,
I moved the VIP sensor and LED to an open spot on the bottom row as Taz mentioned.

If I were doing it again, I would keep the alarm on the top row and move another switch like Curran did.

The problem with moving the alarm lower is that it reduces the visibility of the LED which is supposed to be a deterrent to any would be thief. On mine, they would have to be 7' tall, walk up close to the window, and crane their head around to see the LED flashing. They get a little better view from the PS. :G I tested the glass breakage sensor and it still works OK in the lower position.

-B-

B-

Was your testing of the glass breakage sensor intentional?

Byron,
Yes.
-B-

You'll notice Jim's VX has a much different radio that what we got in the US "Premium Sound" versions. His also came with the climate control A/C availaible only on 40th and CE's in the US market.
-B-

I also now have the Dash Cup Holder (just in case you were wondering what a DCH is (signature))

Also, my wood is real wood. Am I right that only the US Lexus comes with real wood?

Sorry to see the Thong has gone - it''s probably for the best 8)

Cheers, Jim :beer:

Jim,

>> Am I right that only the US Lexus comes with real wood? <<

It appears that you are correct. I still want to see a Lexus close up so I can tell the difference.

I've located the THONG! MTS (Mike) should have it today with his S/C. I told him he could keep dirty-legs, just send back the thong. He said he would. :G

-B-

the lexus is just better plastic not real wood, but at least it holds up beter than the US LC

Does anyone know if the VIP sensor has a sensitivity adjustment? I rap on the glass with a key and it doesn't trigger the alarm. I'm hesitant to amp up the test any harder, I hate replacing glass. Thanks, Greg.

Am I in a time warp or did someone dig up a year old thread? :D

Anyway, yes, the glass breakage sensor can be adjusted. There is a recessed screw in the side to change the sensitivity.
:cheers:

Thanks, Dan. Now you've got me humming tunes from Rocky Horror. Hated that movie. I thought the popcorn was for eating.

I noticed in a previous pic that their CDL switch was located where my glass breakage/security light is. So in that case I guess I would need to locate the CDL switch in the panel left of the steering column..? The tie-in for the CDL switch is behind the center dash panel somewhere right?

Thanks,
Rookie2

When you take the dash apart you'll see that the harness for the CDL switch is part of three others. The easiest spot is where your alarm sensor is. I chose to remove the tape from around the harness so I could separate the CDL part from the other 3. This gave me enough room to place the switch along side the rear heater fan switch. I prefer it down low and out of sight as starngers might press it wondring what it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom