Catch cans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are the pictures of the engine bay…..
Any ideas where the “catch can” might be located. New to all of this, thank you for your replies.

View attachment 3266185

View attachment 3266186

View attachment 3266187

View attachment 3266188

View attachment 3266189
No catch can there. A catch can would be plumbed in the hose that goes between the valve cover and the intake.
5F71FE1A-3AD3-4057-91E7-B82028858125.jpeg

make sure you get a big enough one with proper filtering. i had one that was probably too small and it pressurized my crank case making for a big oily mess. now i vent to atmosphere but it still leaves an oily residue near where the hose ends.

make sure you get a big enough one with proper filtering. i had one that was probably too small and it pressurized my crank case making for a big oily mess. now i vent to atmosphere but it still leaves an oily residue near where the hose ends.
Which one do you have? Link?

No, just trying to get ahead of any problems that might show up at the worst time.

What problem are you anticipating a catch can solving? Its a pointless addition to that engine.

If you run an engine with the EGR that is operable, install a catch can. If you don't, then don't waste your money.
If you have no EGR but so much blow-by that you're worried about oiling up the intercooler, save the catch can money and put it towards a rebuild.

Catch can is also a nice-to-have if you install a watercooling system, to avoid to put oil in your heat exchanger (and lose efficiency).

I'm using a Mann Provent 200 (I used a Flashlube Catch Can Pro before, but it was to small for our block size).

Only issue, filters cost a lot and don't like cold weather if place too far of the engine.

If you really want to dig in, the attachment is an academic comparison of catch cans out of Australia (published by SAE International).

Top performer was the Mann Provent

Attachments

• Catch can comparison study.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
Excellent, thank you. Would it be worth installing a catch can?
No intercooler or egr system so I wouldn’t bother. Keep it simple.

I’ve run the Provent on my 80 and my Hilux, I’m now using the Ryco which is a much better design.

If you really want to dig in, the attachment is an academic comparison of catch cans out of Australia (published by SAE International).

Top performer was the Mann Provent

The author was involved with Mann Hummel. The paper is comparing different filter media in the same style separator. rather than a comparison of commercial units.

I have a Provent 200. It was the worst thing I have ever bolted to my engine. It sucked oil out of my crankcase and fed it into the intake. Blowing my head-gasket andc causing the engine to run on it's own oil. Something the simple factory separator never did. I actually swapped and rebuilt a turbo before I found the problem. Because I didn't believe the problem could be the Provent.
The provent forces all captured oil to drip past the outlet, taking oil drops straight into the engine intake. There was constant flow of oil in the hose to the intake. Something I'd never had before.

I took the provent apart, removed the valve and reversed the flow so the oil mist came in the bottom and stayed on the oily side of the filter. The filter then filtered the outlet air which was taken from the highest point so it stayed clear of oil dripping past.
Once I'd done that it worked perfectly.

I call the modifed result with reversed flow the "Brovent"(tm).

IMO the stock provent will only work if you don't actually need a separator.

Last edited:
The 'flash lube' catch can from terrain tamer appears to be close to a reverse-flow provent. I haven't ever used a Ryco but it appears similar to this too.

great info here:

DO WE NEED BLOODY CATCH CANS? The facts you need to understand BEFORE YOU MAKE A DECISION

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom