Catalytic converter anti-theft device needed ASAP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. I'm new here. After 30 years of eyeballing LC's, I've finally got my hands on one (2003). Unfortunately it has to survive inner-city street parking for the time-being. The state CC resale anti-theft law just went into effect yesterday, so hopefully we'll see a decline in the rampant cat thefts. I feel like it's just a matter of time before ours is hit due to the easy clearance, so I'd like to install something ASAP. We're not equipped for much DIY at this point. The local Toyota dealers can't get anything (they say...) that will fit. The skid plates I found recommendations for are out of stock and are probably overkill for us anyway. I found this which looks like it will fit: CCM175300-40 Universal Maxx, Pipe Size Up To 3" | CatClamp - https://catclamp.com/product/catclamp-maximum-security-kit/ . I can have one here and installed within a few days. Has anyone else successfully used this? Any other recommendations? This will be our rafting, camping and snow skiing vehicle if that makes any difference.

Check out the Asfir skid plates. I believe some mentioned the mid plate provided pretty good coverage of the cats.
Here is a thread on a local CO Toyota forum.

Stolen Catalytic Convertor - https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/stolen-catalytic-convertor.31128/

I went with the full Asfir skid plates, but to protect the cat you can just install the middle skid plate. It won't stop a determined thief, but it should be a good deterrent. If you go get the skid, make sure it is one for petrol engines.
Toyota Land Cruiser 100 / Lexus LX 470 Transmission Skid Plate - https://www.asfir.com/gear-box-skid-plate-558063.html

Shipping is fast even though it is from Israel. Took 7 days from when I ordered. Installation is pretty straight forward with basic tools. Issues arise if you have rusted frame bolts.

Here is write up of my installation.
Gudmundur 3.0 - Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gudmundur-3-0-build.1228672/post-14147754

I ordered the Asfir transmission skid after I had one of my cats stolen and the other partially cut through last month. I haven't had a chance to install it yet because of all the snow and ice, but hopefully will get it on this weekend and will take some pics of how well it covers. I think any deterrent will help the thieves move on to an easier target.

The Slee belly plate also covers them nicely (mine remain un-stolen and full of rattle).

I went with the full Asfir skid plates, but to protect the cat you can just install the middle skid plate. It won't stop a determined thief, but it should be a good deterrent. If you go get the skid, make sure it is one for petrol engines.
Toyota Land Cruiser 100 / Lexus LX 470 Transmission Skid Plate - https://www.asfir.com/gear-box-skid-plate-558063.html

Just wanted to confirm with you that I can install just that middle skid plate to (partly) cover the Cat. It looks like it, just wanted to double check with you!

Also, regarding aluminum /vs steel. Steel is better able to spring back while aluminum tends to dent/crack. Also, aluminum will fail eventually from consecutive and combined stress, while steel can spring back almost indefinitely as long as it is not overly strained. (Is a concern encountered with aluminum bicycle frame's limited lifespan - while my steel framed 1972 Schwinn Paramount is still in good shape - wow, my bicycle is 50 years old - I have had it since 1974 - I must be old.)

27EC69CF-0BF1-4209-9F39-76FB5FAB17ED.jpeg

Saw somewhere. It’s better than nothing. I think.

Just wanted to confirm with you that I can install just that middle skid plate to (partly) cover the Cat. It looks like it, just wanted to double check with you!

Also, regarding aluminum /vs steel. Steel is better able to spring back while aluminum tends to dent/crack. Also, aluminum will fail eventually from consecutive and combined stress, while steel can spring back almost indefinitely as long as it is not overly strained. (Is a concern encountered with aluminum bicycle frame's limited lifespan - while my steel framed 1972 Schwinn Paramount is still in good shape - wow, my bicycle is 50 years old - I have had it since 1974 - I must be old.)
Yep confirmed only the middle. Here is a pic of just the middle on anther forum.

Stolen Catalytic Convertor - https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/stolen-catalytic-convertor.31128/post-369222

Hard to tell, but with it installed you can get to the back pipe of the cats, but not the front.

I think steel would be able to take big hits better and also multiple hits. I don't rock crawl, so not overly worried about that. Here is some discussion of folks who took the Asfir rock crawling with big hits. Sounds like they think steel is better, but aluminum is better than stock or nothing.
100 and 200 Series Exclusive Event: Cruisers on the Rocks October 21-24 Windrock Park, Oliver Springs, Tennessee - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100-and-200-series-exclusive-event-cruisers-on-the-rocks-october-21-24-windrock-park-oliver-springs-tennessee.1257747/post-14122440

BTW, I remember I bought one of the first Cannondale aluminum Optimo road bikes back in the early 2000s. It was oversized tubes with really thin walls. Sounded like a beer can when you tapped it, but ride was stiff as hell.

Thanks everyone. You've convinced me to look into the center skid plate, if not a full set. Since I just learned I can get the CatClamp on today, I'm going to proceed with that for now, then will look at possibly adding skid plates, too, over the whole mess. That's how confident I feel about our city streets these days. :( Will report back on how it goes.

You would need two... @ $385/ea for the HD ones. Eek. I think something like post #7 would be fine for short term until you can get skid plates.
Agh! I didn't even see the second one under there, and it didn't even occur to me, so thank you for point that out! Steep learning curve here. Since there's only one device available, and yes, two would be stupidly expensive, I'll now set about ordering those skid plates. Do y'all think having a full set might be more of a deterrent than just the center plate?

View attachment 2883704

Saw somewhere. It’s better than nothing. I think.
I would prefer this over a skid plate. I like the ability to ventilate. I tried a search on the image name on Google but didn't get a hit. Would be great to find some additional info, or better yet, one to buy!

Agh! I didn't even see the second one under there, and it didn't even occur to me, so thank you for point that out! Steep learning curve here. Since there's only one device available, and yes, two would be stupidly expensive, I'll now set about ordering those skid plates. Do y'all think having a full set might be more of a deterrent than just the center plate?

I think I answered my own question: from what I can see in the photos, it looks like the full set doesn't provide any extra coverage for the cats. But perhaps the more armor that's under there the easier to confuse the tweakers. One can hope.

I would prefer this over a skid plate. I like the ability to ventilate. I tried a search on the image name on Google but didn't get a hit. Would be great to find some additional info, or better yet, one to buy!
Good point. It looks so thin, though. Since the plate is open on both ends shouldn't it have plenty of airflow, except perhaps if you're idling too long?

Ventilation is a valid concern. FYI, I ran full steel skids for over 10 years. During that time, one of the wiring harnesses split loom crumbled and had to be replaced. Certainly, everything under there runs a bit hotter but the Cats, at idle/crawling for hours, don't get that hot. They are hottest at full throttle and highway speed and I think there is enough airflow. I haven't observed any ill-effects above the cats.

I got rid of the skid plates in favor of weight savings but now I regret my decision due to the prolificity of cat theft..... and I totally bashed my exhaust on my first outing without the skids.

I'd simply let the Belgian Shepherds out of the house, then call the cops and make sure they'll send an ambulance. The dogs tend to get a bit mean and pissy if they think someone is fooling with their stuff. :smokin:

I'd simply let the Belgian Shepherds out of the house, then call the cops and make sure they'll send an ambulance. The dogs tend to get a bit mean and pissy if they think someone is fooling with their stuff. :smokin:
Yeah. Very few places my truck goes that it isn’t secure or in sight. Try to get them at the house, one of the dogs is going to have a problem and he’s the one to worry about.

Houston proper has some bad issues, but that’s what skids and insurance are for.

Yeah. Very few places my truck goes that it isn’t secure or in sight. Try to get them at the house, one of the dogs is going to have a problem and he’s the one to worry about.

Houston proper has some bad issues, but that’s what skids and insurance are for.
Screwing around at night in a rural AG area is not gonna' keep you healthy. ;)

Ok, as promised I'm back with an update after installing my ASFIR transmission skid. Overall, I think it's going to work out fine for CAT protection. There were a few issues as described below. This was my experience with a completely stock 99 LX, there may be slight variations with other installs that used spacers to clear sliders, etc.

Looking from the driver side:

SkidDS.JPG

Passenger side looking forward:

SkidPS1.JPG

There were two fitment issues I encountered. The first is the front of the "ears" on the skid interfered with the torsion bar bolts on the lower control arms. The plate bolted up just fine, but it wouldn't have been good if I hadn't noticed. Of course I worked back to front so didn't realize it until I had it pretty much all the way on. I then had to take it all back off and grind that back a bit. The pictures below are after grinding, the ears on the skid plate were just touching the torsion bar bolts before:

SkidTBClear1.JPG

SkidTBClear2.JPG

Finally, the driver side rear mounting hole wasn't drilled quite in the right place. I tried every version of installing all the bolts loosely, I even tried installing this bolt first and working away from it. Next time I'm at the hardware store, I'll pick up a metal grinding bit for my dremel and slot it out a bit more so it fits better. This was the only mounting hole issue, everything else lined up just fine.

SkidBolt.JPG

So, overall I think this is a pretty good off the shelf option for cat protection. The install was fairly easy, the issues I had were easily overcome, and hopefully this will make the thieves move on to an easier target if they try my truck again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom