Catalytic converter anti-theft device needed ASAP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, as promised I'm back with an update after installing my ASFIR transmission skid. Overall, I think it's going to work out fine for CAT protection. There were a few issues as described below. This was my experience with a completely stock 99 LX, there may be slight variations with other installs that used spacers to clear sliders, etc.

Looking from the driver side:

View attachment 2897436

Passenger side looking forward:

View attachment 2897437

There were two fitment issues I encountered. The first is the front of the "ears" on the skid interfered with the torsion bar bolts on the lower control arms. The plate bolted up just fine, but it wouldn't have been good if I hadn't noticed. Of course I worked back to front so didn't realize it until I had it pretty much all the way on. I then had to take it all back off and grind that back a bit. The pictures below are after grinding, the ears on the skid plate were just touching the torsion bar bolts before:

View attachment 2897439

View attachment 2897440

Finally, the driver side rear mounting hole wasn't drilled quite in the right place. I tried every version of installing all the bolts loosely, I even tried installing this bolt first and working away from it. Next time I'm at the hardware store, I'll pick up a metal grinding bit for my dremel and slot it out a bit more so it fits better. This was the only mounting hole issue, everything else lined up just fine.

View attachment 2897445

So, overall I think this is a pretty good off the shelf option for cat protection. The install was fairly easy, the issues I had were easily overcome, and hopefully this will make the thieves move on to an easier target if they try my truck again.

Should definitely help. Only thing I would change would be to use a bolt with a less common head (hex). Go with a Torx/Star Drive.

Thieves would be less likely to have that with them or to come back later.

I know the 'idea' is to create a situation where too much time/effort is involved for the thief..... but some are dedicated. Hate to see you lose your Cats and your skid plate (scrap aluminum bringing $1.25 a pound some places).

I'm sure the vast majority of these thefts are predicated on the thief being able to saw the cats off quickly and make good their escape (all done a minute or less). But in some situations ( a vehicle left someplace overnight) all they would need is five minutes.

Can't guard against everything....I know. But I'd take every measure to make it more difficult if I were going to make the effort at all.

Torx-Pan-Head-Stainless.jpg

That's a good idea Flint, and one I am considering. I like the idea of layering, making things just a little bit more inconvenient at every turn. Another thing that might help for those with AHC is to park in low, that's what I had been doing before I was able to get the skid on. With it on, it would be very difficult to remove it with AHC on low unless they bring a HD jack, and that could get ugly fast for them!

That's a good idea Flint, and one I am considering. I like the idea of layering, making things just a little bit more inconvenient at every turn. Another thing that might help for those with AHC is to park in low, that's what I had been doing before I was able to get the skid on. With it on, it would be very difficult to remove it with AHC on low unless they bring a HD jack, and that could get ugly fast for them!

^^^^

Smart, hadn't thought of that. It would indeed make it more difficult. 👍

I hadn't really considered that most thefts are probably committed on vehicles with good ground clearance and easy access to the undercarriage.

I just bought something called the "Catstrap". Bright orange strip of "tape" with 6 cables inside, basically supposed to wear out the saw blade? I haven't put it on yet but it seems to me a visual deterrent might be a good start. Of course, I'm about to Woolwax over it in a week as well :rofl:

Shipping is fast even though it is from Israel. Took 7 days from when I ordered. Installation is pretty straight forward with basic tools. Issues arise if you have rusted frame bolts.
What was the cost of shipping? That's a relatively large and heavy part to have shipped internationally.

Israeli quality is good, never seen anything from there that wasn't well made.

They were running a 50% off shipping special a few weeks ago when I ordered it. It was normally $250 but ended up being $125. It shipped air freight and was at my door in less than a week after ordering.

They were running a 50% off shipping special a few weeks ago when I ordered it. It was normally $250 but ended up being $125. It shipped air freight and was at my door in less than a week after ordering.
This was exactly our experience and cost. Arrived in about 5 days. I had someone else install ours and there were no issues that I'm aware of. I'll try to get a good enough picture to post here.

I'm curious how close the front of your skid plate ended up to where the torsion bars bolt to the lower control arms. Mine was very lightly touching before I ground it back a bit for clearance.

One of the most common vehicles for catalytic converter thefts in my area is the Prius. Thieves somehow manage to get the cat off even though those cars are relatively low to the ground.

The ASFIR stuff is tempting. And the protection to catalytic converter theft gives a good justification! A new cat is not cheap.

One of the most common vehicles for catalytic converter thefts in my area is the Prius. Thieves somehow manage to get the cat off even though those cars are relatively low to the ground.

The ASFIR stuff is tempting. And the protection to catalytic converter theft gives a good justification! A new cat is not cheap.
Our Prius had its cat stolen. It is so low that I had to jack it up to get a picture of the missing cat to send to insurance. Plus total cost for replacement was $2900.

Not only not cheap, but at least for 98-02 the OEM cat is no longer available. I had to go with a Magnaflow replacement.

Ok, pics of ASFIR transmission skid plate on 2003 LC.

From the passenger side:

IMG_0402.JPG

From driver side:

IMG_0403.JPG

From front:

IMG_0404.JPG

Here, too. They jack them up and cut out the cat in under two minutes. It's happening in broad daylight even, on busy streets, parking lots and people's driveways. It's crazy. We put a guard on our Prius as soon as we got it.

Last edited:
I like this option - I've looked for this material at lowes and Home Depot - no dice. Anyone know where to source it, or even what it is called?
27EC69CF-0BF1-4209-9F39-76FB5FAB17ED.jpeg

I like this option - I've looked for this material at lowes and Home Depot - no dice. Anyone know where to source it, or even what it is called?View attachment 2903998
Search perforated metal. Many of the online metal suppliers have options. It’s not cheap, and as with skid plates, carrys a high cost of shipping. After all is said and done, getting the function of a skid plate along with the protection of your cats seems like a pretty low bar.

Hey @dbfw , this looks like a beautiful install. My catalytic converter was stolen and was looking for an after-market option as the thieves also cut through my engine skid plate.

Stolen Catalytic Converter LC100 | IH8MUD Forum

How was the shipping time on the item and and updates since your install?

Ok, as promised I'm back with an update after installing my ASFIR transmission skid. Overall, I think it's going to work out fine for CAT protection. There were a few issues as described below. This was my experience with a completely stock 99 LX, there may be slight variations with other installs that used spacers to clear sliders, etc.

Looking from the driver side:

View attachment 2897436

Passenger side looking forward:

View attachment 2897437

There were two fitment issues I encountered. The first is the front of the "ears" on the skid interfered with the torsion bar bolts on the lower control arms. The plate bolted up just fine, but it wouldn't have been good if I hadn't noticed. Of course I worked back to front so didn't realize it until I had it pretty much all the way on. I then had to take it all back off and grind that back a bit. The pictures below are after grinding, the ears on the skid plate were just touching the torsion bar bolts before:

View attachment 2897439

View attachment 2897440

Finally, the driver side rear mounting hole wasn't drilled quite in the right place. I tried every version of installing all the bolts loosely, I even tried installing this bolt first and working away from it. Next time I'm at the hardware store, I'll pick up a metal grinding bit for my dremel and slot it out a bit more so it fits better. This was the only mounting hole issue, everything else lined up just fine.

View attachment 2897445

So, overall I think this is a pretty good off the shelf option for cat protection. The install was fairly easy, the issues I had were easily overcome, and hopefully this will make the thieves move on to an easier target if they try my truck again.

Hey @dbfw , this looks like a beautiful install. My catalytic converter was stolen and was looking for an after-market option as the thieves also cut through my engine skid plate.

Stolen Catalytic Converter LC100 | IH8MUD Forum

How was the shipping time on the item and and updates since your install?

Shipping was incredibly fast, 4 days from Tel Aviv to my door in Washington State via DHL if I remember correctly. Updates since are that aftermarket cats are worse than OEM and I'm seriously annoyed I couldn't get an new OEM cat. The aftermarket one rattles on cold starts and I need to see about warranty coverage to see if I can get a replacement.

On the skid plate front, everything has been holding together just fine, and I've been parking in the same transit lot daily and haven't had any other issues or attempts at my cats so seems to be working well for theft deterrence.

Shipping was incredibly fast, 4 days from Tel Aviv to my door in Washington State via DHL if I remember correctly. Updates since are that aftermarket cats are worse than OEM and I'm seriously annoyed I couldn't get an new OEM cat. The aftermarket one rattles on cold starts and I need to see about warranty coverage to see if I can get a replacement.

On the skid plate front, everything has been holding together just fine, and I've been parking in the same transit lot daily and haven't had any other issues or attempts at my cats so seems to be working well for theft deterrence.
Thanks! Looks like ASFIR has got their logistics down.

I really like the skid set by Dissent. However, it seems they only sell it with the full set....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom