Cat converter shield or skid plates? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So some idiot or idiots stole the cats off my 2011 tundra with 223k miles. Not sure if that thing is worth much but will now cost me to replace.

So I had bought arb skid plates a while back for my 16 lc200 and with the recent stealing I don't want that happening to my baby. From the pictures it doesn't look like it will cover or protect it.

Does anyone make one or a source to go to?

Sucks we have to go to these measures now but with the inflation of money and recession looming, so does crime unfortunately. Please let me know. :)

Screenshot_20220823-101617_Gallery.jpg

budbuilt has a dedicated cat skid/theft product, and the Dissent skids are really wide and protect the front joint.

You’d be well served by a search on this one. Lots of discussion about this recently. On top of what grinchy pointed out a few other solutions of varying effectiveness.

I did get the Slee skid system if you want to take a look at its coverage.

So some idiot or idiots stole the cats off my 2011 tundra with 223k miles. Not sure if that thing is worth much but will now cost me to replace.

So I had bought arb skid plates a while back for my 16 lc200 and with the recent stealing I don't want that happening to my baby. From the pictures it doesn't look like it will cover or protect it.

Does anyone make one or a source to go to?

Sucks we have to go to these measures now but with the inflation of money and recession looming, so does crime unfortunately. Please let me know. :)

View attachment 3094856

Here's a link to the BudBuilt option: Cat Guards

I have them, and they look like they will do the job...

HTH

Ordered a set of budbuilt for my 13 LX two weeks ago, got a notification they will be delivered tomorrow. It’s crazy what you have to do these days to keep your car from getting sawed apart. I live in a pretty decent area in CT, suburbs for sure and there was a few cars hit at a target on a main road mid day on a Saturday. I mean… come on

anyone have the above Slee skids? If so how’s the coverage of the cats?

I do. It’s pretty good, but could be better.

I’m sure it is enough to make most thieves move on to the next vehicle, but am mulling over whether I can make a simple addition that would reduce the remaining access.

I will say that I personally don’t like how the skids bolt under the front recovery hooks with a big slotted peice of metal, and require removing the stock tie-down loops that toyota put there in large part to reinforce the recovery point. I’m considering cutting those braces off.

I need to stop fiddle-farting around and get some skid plates on order to help deter mine from getting stolen.

20220824_180630.jpg

20220824_180605.jpg

It looks to me like the Bud Built skids will do a pretty darn good job of making the cats hard to get too... this is one reason I went to them and didnt't end up considering the ARB skids...

1661387588310.png

1661387615836.png

1661387640870.png

Budbuilt skids cover them.

The LC200 has four cats, 2 in series each side.

On this picture from info provided above by DiffKraken two of them are not covered. Maybe Budbuilt has a further plate for that but the picture is not a good example of full cat coverage.

1661389119345.png

The LC200 has four cats, 2 in series each side.

On this picture from info provided above by DiffKraken two of them are not covered. Maybe Budbuilt has a further plate for that but the picture is not a good example of full cat coverage.

View attachment 3096152
Look again... the Bud Built transmission skid goes in front of the Bud Built transfer case skid and together they cover all 4 cats.

edit: You'll have to use your imagination to imagine that both of the skids are on at the same time. The reason Bud Built shows each skid separately in these photos is because they sell them separately, but you put them on together, not just one at a time, and when they're on together, I think they will provide adequate coverage.

Last edited:
So they are still accessible with the Slee skid plates, damn. I was looking at these earlier, but it appears they don't provide "enough" coverage to keep bandits at bay.
In person it’s not quite as bad as it seems in that image. They would have trouble getting the sawzall up against the pipe for the front cut on drivers side and middle cut on passenger, and in general provide some level of deterrence.

But yes this shows why I was considering having a stainless plate cut and bent to bolt on to the edges of the Slee skid to close up the gap some.

Also at the time Slee was actually in stock and could get to me in time for a trip, and I personally like the louvers for cooling.

But purely in terms of cat protection budbuilt wins this one.

In person it’s not quite as bad as it seems in that image. They would have trouble getting the sawzall up against the pipe for the front cut on drivers side and middle cut on passenger, and in general provide some level of deterrence.

But yes this shows why I was considering having a stainless plate cut and bent to bolt on to the edges of the Slee skid to close up the gap some.

Also at the time Slee was actually in stock and could get to me in time for a trip, and I personally like the louvers for cooling.

But purely in terms of cat protection budbuilt wins this one.

Yea, Slee currently in-stock is appealing at this very moment for sure. Having a hard time swallowing $2K for skid plates after shipping though. I know it's a drop in the bucket compared to four missing cats and the associated down time but dammit if that's not a lot of coin for some skid plates.

Yea, Slee currently in-stock is appealing at this very moment for sure. Having a hard time swallowing $2K for skid plates after shipping though. I know it's a drop in the bucket compared to four missing cats and the associated down time but dammit if that's not a lot of coin for some skid plates.
I get it.. but they are typical Slee quality. For what it's worth. And if you are near austin you can take a look at mine.

I get it.. but they are typical Slee quality. For what it's worth. And if you are near austin you can take a look at mine.

I just might take you up on that.

I already have ARB skid plates and don't want to have to buy a whole new set to protect the catalytic converters. I was thinking about having two additional triangular-shaped panels fabricated to fit per the attached photo.

There are already existing bolt holes on both ends.

Do you think this would work as a deterrent?

ARB - Cat Protection Mod - LC200.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom