Cat converter shield or skid plates? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I already have ARB skid plates and don't want to have to buy a whole new set to protect the catalytic converters. I was thinking about having two additional triangular-shaped panels fabricated to fit per the attached photo.

There are already existing bolt holes on both ends.

Do you think this would work as a deterrent?

View attachment 3100740
I personally wouldn’t want to close things up “too” much because some airflow helps keep fuel and fluid temps manageable on trail. I put too in quotes because that is subjective.. more airflow restriction probably means more security.

You could also get a sheet of stainless cut and bent that just bolted to the top of your ARB skid. Or even two, that obstruct the areas they’ll actually cut, but not the cat body itself. If you use appropriate hardware or thread locker as mentioned earlier they won’t be easily removable, but will come off with the ARB skids when needed.

I personally wouldn’t want to close things up “too” much because some airflow helps keep fuel and fluid temps manageable on trail. I put too in quotes because that is subjective.. more airflow restriction probably means more security.

You could also get a sheet of stainless cut and bent that just bolted to the top of your ARB skid. Or even two, that obstruct the areas they’ll actually cut, but not the cat body itself. If you use appropriate hardware or thread locker as mentioned earlier they won’t be easily removable, but will come off with the ARB skids when needed.

Thanks for the good advice on the need for ventilation. I like the idea of a bent sheet of stainless bolted to the ARB skid.

I’m going to visit a few local 4x4 customization shops to see if they can fabricate something to slow thieves down.

If I get something made I will post pictures.

Thanks for the good advice on the need for ventilation. I like the idea of a bent sheet of stainless bolted to the ARB skid.

I’m going to visit a few local 4x4 customization shops to see if they can fabricate something to slow thieves down.

If I get something made I will post pictures.
Yeah, please post what you come up with.

By the way I mention stainless because it is more difficult to cut with a sawzall. It will be harder and more expensive to find, and shops less familiar working with it.. but potentially worth the effort.

I have the slee ones, I'm thinking of also adding catstrap or a cat clamp. Initially I thought I could get by with just skids but at 2k per OEM converter, I'd rather not risk it.

There are already pictures of the slee skids in this thread but wanted to chime in: they provide great coverage from directly underneath but the cats are definitely still accessible from the side. more difficult than factory sure, but a motivated thief could definitely access it. perhaps this is a "You don't have to run faster than the bear to get away. You just have to run faster than the guy next to you" situation

If I was just concerned about cat protection, I'd just get cat clamps/cages first, cheaper and would probably do a better job. My neighbor has a CRV and caught (on security footage) a thief trying to steal the cat but then giving up when the thief saw the cat clamp.

Bump. I have the BudBuilt Cat Guards installed but am passively looking for some additional front end protection over the stock skids.

Does anyone have the Cat Guards PLUS additional skids?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom