Carrier hinges refurb; '76 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going to try air chisel and punch today, if that does not get it then propane torch and bigger FH!!!!

The ultrasonic rigs work really well for cleaning small parts, save a bunch of time. In this case have found that the vibration is key in loosening rusted stuff, have put locked up stuff in it and had them come out freed up. In our experience, well worth the cost of admission, better than beating on stuff.

the DSRTRDR is getting some TLC . . .

Last edited:
Well, the air chisel worked!! Amazing tool btw, pics to come later. Kevin, I do like the idea of your technique as well, looking into ultrasonic....

Kevin thanks for that link-I like that technique, as of course blasting does remove some material.....

Ohhh lookie lookie lookie.... what I just got in the mail.

Will be working on these this week.

20170111_093804.jpg

Super cool!! Doug did you get bronze or brass?

So on my hinges the old plastic bushings are present and so are what appear to be washers?? With the McMaster bushings are they thick enough on top so that I can just put them in and not put these washers in as well?? Or are the washers a non OEM thing that just should not be there??
'76CarrierHinge3.jpg

One more pic, incidentally the air
'76CarrierHinge4.jpg
chisel is one impressive tool!!!!

Thank you Doug!!!! Mine are fairly rusty, can I just get stainless in the same size from a hardware store or are OEM still available?? Or maybe blast my washers then paint before putting back in??

Thinking a good waterproof grease for inside bushings for re-assembly???

The ultrasonic rigs work really well for cleaning small parts, save a bunch of time. In this case have found that the vibration is key in loosening rusted stuff, have put locked up stuff in it and had them come out freed up. In our experience, well worth the cost of admission, better than beating on stuff.

I would think that white vinegar would work as well or even better for rust removal in the ultrasonic cleaner.

I got my ultrasonic from HF for under $70. Used it to clean clogged teeny tiny idle circuits on my Harley's carb. (I had let the gas sit waay too long).

Speaking of that ultrasonic cleaner, I read that the upper horizontal seam, where the stainless steel tub part meets the plastic cover needs to be sealed with a bead of silicone sealant to keep liquids out of the the electronics. Those that didn't, had failures. I did so on mine, and haven't had a problem with it.

Last edited:
Thank you Doug!!!! Mine are fairly rusty, can I just get stainless in the same size from a hardware store or are OEM still available?? Or maybe blast my washers then paint before putting back in??

Thinking a good waterproof grease for inside bushings for re-assembly???

Clean up and paint is what I'm going to do.
I'm going to put in a couple of grease zerks to and am going to use white lithium grease.

That is the plan for mine as well Doug, get with my bro to see if he wants zerks as well..... @Blue77FJ40 I like the ultrasonic cleaner idea, need to look into the Harbor Unit!

That is the plan for mine as well Doug, get with my bro to see if he wants zerks as well..... @Blue77FJ40 I like the ultrasonic cleaner idea, need to look into the Harbor Unit!

As an aside, note that the exact same ultrasonic cleaner unit that HF sells is rebadge by Lyman for their brass cartridge cleaning unit at a higher price...

Funny as my brother is a gun guy and has a Lyman. So I take it you put the parts in with some White vinegar and that is it?

Funny as my brother is a gun guy and has a Lyman. So I take it you put the parts in with some White vinegar and that is it?

No, I've never used vinegar in it yet. I'm only suggesting that it would seem to be a good way to go. As I mentioned, I bought it to clean my Harley's carb idle circuits. I had to reposition the carb a number of times, as it was too large for the relatively shallow tub. I currently use it to clean my glasses, watches, and other small items. For these purposes, I add a few drops of Dawn per batch and watch the grime flow out!

So it is not strong enough to clean off rust then?

FYI, I was at Ace Hardware today and they had metric bronze bushings in stock in the nuts & bolts section. They had 16mm i.d / 20mm o.d, and they were $3 each. I didn't buy any so I can't verify any other measurements, but it may be worth a trip if you're looking for some.

I would think that white vinegar would work as well or even better for rust removal in the ultrasonic cleaner. ...

Haven't tried vinegar, but is pretty weak. For rust, wood bleach/oxalic acid, works well and is commonly available, cheap, we use ~2 tablespoons of the crystals in a tank.

Speaking of that ultrasonic cleaner, I read that the upper horizontal seam, where the stainless steel tub part meets the plastic cover needs to be sealed with a bead of silicone sealant to keep liquids out of the the electronics. Those that didn't, had failures. I did so on mine, and haven't had a problem with it.

Have read that, but ours has been beat, used long and hard, so much that most of the paint is worn off of the top of it. When we go to the pick & pull, get lots of hardware, it all goes through it, plus all of the project parts that fit. Wore the tray out, have made new ones from hardware cloth. Runs often, with little care, dump, rinse, refill, repeat, has never missed a beat, always goes zzzz when the button is pushed. For the price, really didn't expect it to take that much beating! It doesn't owe me anything, if it died tomorrow, would buy another.

Have tried lots of stuff in it, for general cleaning our favorite is Costco janitorial detergent/degreaser. Use about 1/2 a cup in a full tank of water, does a great job on normal grease/dirt caked parts and is cheap, ~$10 a gal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom