CarPlay works in a 2020 Land Cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This may not apply to others - I bought an older (circa May 2019) Naviplus. It is a Lsailt multimedia video interface (model LLT-FT-VER7.1.5). It actually looks more like the EC Offroad ones people have posted than the new Naviplus boxes shown earlier in this thread.

I found that it works with Apple CarPlay including full use of all of the steering wheel controls (previous track, next track, volume up, volume down). Wired works great with the Autokit USB Adapter dongle it came with (CPC200-CMAP).

Some aha moments I had were that this setup essentially installs an android computer into your car. Within the Android OS, there are a set of applications, one of which is the one that runs CarPlay. In normal original equipment mode, it passes through the factory signal to the display - so it functions the same as any other factory infotainment unit. The cabling you install puts the Naviplus unit in the circuit between the factory harness and the head unit. This allows the Naviplus to capture a long press event from the Nav button to trigger and take over the display screen (leaving the head unit working in the background - so you can easily switch back and forth). There is an inexpensive dongle that gets installed inline on the USB line that tricks Android into supporting CarPlay (turns out people have used the same dongle to fool lots of Android devices into running CarPlay this way, from a $50 Fire Tablet to more expensive aftermarket head units). At the end of the day, all you really have is Android computer being tricked into running CarPlay.

The way Android gets configured is to pick up when you plug in your phone and by default, automatically launch CarPlay (AutoKit app running on the android). From there on out, you are interacting with the CarPlay user interface on the factory display. Once this is all configured, all you need to do is plug in your phone and CarPlay launches automatically.

Odds are you'll never have to deal with this, since you'll undoubtedly buy new. I got lucky and bought a used unit. This Naviplus was owned by a person who only ran Android - I'm an iPhone user so needed some additional tweaking before things worked the way I wanted. Initially CarPlay didn't work - it said the "box" was not supported and to contact the manufacturer. Naviplus support told me I'd need a newer "dongle" to solve this - the "box" that the software was complaining about was the dongle. What I figured out through experimentation was that the Android application to launch CarPlay needed to be updated. So, I downloaded an updated AppKit.apk file onto a flash drive, and plugged it into the USB port on the Naviplus. In Android, I browsed the file system until I located the USB drive and the apk file. I "clicked on" the apk file and it installed it - I followed the prompts, and then, like magic, the software recognized the dongle, and CarPlay loaded. I'd never used Android, so I learned a lot!

A couple of things I've learned in my 24 hours with this is that in order for the audio to work from the Naviplus:
1) You have to remove your phone's Bluetooth pairing with the factory head unit
2) You need to have the audio input set to Aux

If these conditions are not met, you won't hear any sound, even though the CarPlay interface thinks it is playing sound.

Oh, and for those of you that want more than Apple CarPlay or the Android Auto, there is a whole Android computer that can run any compatible application, play music, show videos, browse pictures, browse the internet, etc. I have no interest in all that, I just wanted CarPlay, so the Naviplus functionality is mostly wasted on me.

One more comment: you can also screen mirror using the EasyConnect app on your iPhone phone and the Android unit. The resolution is iffy, but it works.

Last edited:
A couple of things I've learned in my 24 hours with this is that in order for the audio to work from the Naviplus:

If these conditions are not met, you won't hear any sound, even though the CarPlay interface thinks it is playing sound.
FWIW, these two requirements are included in the NaviPlus instructions. I realize you purchased second-hand, but if you'd had the benefit of the manual you would have had a smoother installation.

FWIW, these two requirements are included in the NaviPlus instructions. I realize you purchased second-hand, but if you'd had the benefit of the manual you would have had a smoother installation.
Thanks. I have the instructions (they are pretty useless, BTW). I'm reiterating these facts, in case it could help anyone. In my wife's Honda, CarPlay just magically works without the jumping through hoops, same in the Pioneer head unit I had in my Tundra. People might expect a similar seamless behavior - but they need to pay attention to these nuances if they expect things to work right. Naviplus is a workable solution, but is less than perfect, in my opinion. It has a few "warts"...

Last edited:
This may not apply to others - I bought an older (circa May 2019) Naviplus. It is a Lsailt multimedia video interface (model LLT-FT-VER7.1.5). It actually looks more like the EC Offroad ones people have posted than the new Naviplus boxes shown earlier in this thread.

I found that it works with Apple CarPlay including full use of all of the steering wheel controls (previous track, next track, volume up, volume down). Wired works great with the Autokit USB Adapter dongle it came with (CPC200-CMAP).

Some aha moments I had were that this setup essentially installs an android computer into your car. Within the Android OS, there are a set of applications, one of which is the one that runs CarPlay. In normal original equipment mode, it passes through the factory signal to the display - so it functions the same as any other factory infotainment unit. The cabling you install puts the Naviplus unit in the circut between the factory harness and the head unit. This allows the Naviplus to capture a long press event from the Nav button to trigger and take over the display screen (leaving the head unit working in the background - so you can easily switch back and forth). There is an inexpensive dongle that gets installed inline on the USB line that tricks Android into supporting CarPlay (turns out people have used the same dongle to fool lots of Android devices into running CarPlay this way, from a $50 Fire Tablet to more expensive aftermarket head units). At the end of the day, all you really have is Android computer being tricked into running CarPlay.

The way Android gets configured is to pick up when you plug in your phone and by default, automatically launch CarPlay (AutoKit app running on the android). From there on out, you are interacting with the CarPlay user interface on the factory display. Once this is all configured, all you need to do is plug in your phone and CarPlay launches automatically.

Odds are you'll never have to deal with this, since you'll undoubtedly buy new. I got lucky and bought a used unit. This Naviplus was owned by a person who only ran Android - I'm an iPhone user so needed some additional tweaking before things worked the way I wanted. Initially CarPlay didn't work - it said the "box" was not supported and to contact the manufacturer. Naviplus support told me I'd need a newer "dongle" to solve this - the "box" that the software was complaining about was the dongle. What I figured out through experimentation was that the Android application to launch CarPlay needed to be updated. So, I downloaded an updated AppKit.apk file onto a flash drive, and plugged it into the USB port on the Naviplus. In Android, I browsed the file system until I located the USB drive and the apk file. I "clicked on" the apk file and it installed it - I followed the prompts, and then, like magic, the software recognized the dongle, and CarPlay loaded. I'd never used Android, so I learned a lot!

Oh, and for those of you that want more than Apple CarPlay or the Android Auto, there is a whole Android computer that can run any compatible application, play music, show videos, browse pictures, browse the internet, etc. I have no interest in all that, I just wanted CarPlay, so the Naviplus functionality is mostly wasted on me.
Good information. I find that my iPhone needs to be unlocked before I plug it into the USB. Sometimes I need to need to unplug and replug for it to connect.

Good information. I find that my iPhone needs to be unlocked before I plug it into the USB. Sometimes I need to need to unplug and replug for it to connect.
@RobW0 That might be configurable. On my iPhone X running iOS 14.4.1, there is was choice to enable CarPlay without unlocking. I was prompted to choose this when CarPlay started up the first time in the NaviPlus. On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > CarPlay > Your Car > and turn on “Allow CarPlay While Locked

I had been wondering about that as the Naviplus box and approach to implementing CarPlay has always looked pretty similar to the solution that EC Offroad uses. I wonder if the newer Naviplus boxes have locked the Android functionality down more or if the full Android functionality is still available on them. There are some nice things that can be down with the Android functionality, such as potentially installing something like Gaia GPS and loading up a bunch of maps for offline use (and not consuming lots of space on your smartphone). Or the same thing for music. The EC Offroad hardware has a "TF Card" slot that you can plug a microSD card into and the USB ports support storage devices, no idea if the Naviplus has this support as well.

If it's running a solid version of Android, you're only limited by your imagination (and hardware limitations...). For an example of hardware limitations, the EC Offroad unit has Bluetooth locked down for wireless CarPlay support, so you can't pair a Bluetooth OBDII sensor to it and then run an app like TorquePro to monitor info from the sensor. You can use a WiFi OBDII sensor, but can only use wireless CarPlay OR a WiFi connection to something else at any given time.

The old one that I have has the memory card expansion slot like the EC Off-road version. I can’t speak to the new ones.

I might get adventurous and play with Gaia on Android and downloading maps onto drive for the Android (or pop a flash drive into one of the spare USB ports - it has 3, two are unused in the Naviplus configuration).

Gaia was the main driver for me getting this setup - it works okay in CarPlay, but is a bit neutered in functionality compared to the iPhone/iPad, and version I access from my MacBook. I wonder if it will be limited by the resolution of the Oem screen though...

The old one that I have has the memory card expansion slot like the EC Off-road version. I can’t speak to the new ones.

I might get adventurous and play with Gaia on Android and downloading maps onto drive for the Android (or pop a flash drive into one of the spare USB ports - it has 3, two are unused in the Naviplus configuration).

Gaia was the main driver for me getting this setup - it works okay in CarPlay, but is a bit neutered in functionality compared to the iPhone/iPad, and version I access from my MacBook. I wonder if it will be limited by the resolution of the Oem screen though...
The app features shouldn't be limited by the resolution, but the quality of the maps will obviously be. Do keep in mind that gestures that require 2 or more fingers (such as zooming by spreading your fingers apart or together) won't work with the OEM screen. It's definitely worth experimenting with - just don't try to get too clever with it. Several of us found that the older EC Offroad unit (which seems to be essentially what you have) would lock up at times (nothing a reboot wouldn't fix) and mine did get bricked while installing an update the EC Offroad sent me. I ended up upgrading to the newer version of their product, which has worked quite well so far.

I guess I went with a completely different path and went with custom car stereo systems from Australia. I installed their module and it’s far exceeded my expectations. Wireless CarPlay sound is fantastic with no drop outs of any kind. Steering wheel controls work as expected, Siri works correctly, cameras work correctly. The only thing I’ve noticed even remotely unusual is that when you are in wireless CarPlay, for example using Google maps, and change FM radio presets it will bounce out of CarPlay and go back to the original system. Everything else functions as it should and it still uses the original factory USB port. I was pretty adamant about not cutting or changing or removing anything on the car and with this module you do not have to. It’s definitely one to consider.

I guess I went with a completely different path and went with custom car stereo systems from Australia. I installed their module and it’s far exceeded my expectations. Wireless CarPlay sound is fantastic with no drop outs of any kind. Steering wheel controls work as expected, Siri works correctly, cameras work correctly. The only thing I’ve noticed even remotely unusual is that when you are in wireless CarPlay, for example using Google maps, and change FM radio presets it will bounce out of CarPlay and go back to the original system. Everything else functions as it should and it still uses the original factory USB port. I was pretty adamant about not cutting or changing or removing anything on the car and with this module you do not have to. It’s definitely one to consider.

I believe the Custom Car Stereo and the EC Offroad are the same system.

I believe the Custom Car Stereo and the EC Offroad are the same system.
Keep in mind that EC Offroad has at least 2 generations of the hardware from 2 different manufacturers, but I would be surprised if Custom Car Stereo isn't using one of the same pieces of hardware. There could be slight variations in firmware customization and the installed Android version which could result in some real usability differences.

Based on the posts from @CharlieS, it looks like Naviplus was at least originally using the same hardware EC Offroad was using on their older (prior to September 2020) solution, but again with a different firmware customization.

Keep in mind that EC Offroad has at least 2 generations of the hardware from 2 different manufacturers, but I would be surprised if Custom Car Stereo isn't using one of the same pieces of hardware. There could be slight variations in firmware customization and the installed Android version which could result in some real usability differences.

Based on the posts from @CharlieS, it looks like Naviplus was at least originally using the same hardware EC Offroad was using on their older (prior to September 2020) solution, but again with a different firmware customization.
I'm about dizzy from reading through the entirety of this thread. I've dug a little into the other EC thread as well.

In your opinion, where's the fork in the road to decide NaviPlus or EC Offroad paths? Is it as simple as if you are using Apple, go NP; if you are using Android, go EC? Sure, they both do both, but it seems like there is a bias to one platform with each.

This is definitely something I will be doing to my '16, but I'm drowning in data here. Feel like I need a clear direction for selection. o_O

I'm about dizzy from reading through the entirety of this thread. I've dug a little into the other EC thread as well.

In your opinion, where's the fork in the road to decide NaviPlus or EC Offroad paths? Is it as simple as if you are using Apple, go NP; if you are using Android, go EC? Sure, they both do both, but it seems like there is a bias to one platform with each.

This is definitely something I will be doing to my '16, but I'm drowning in data here. Feel like I need a clear direction for selection. o_O
For me, I didn't want another Android device to worry about. Something that is separate from my Android phone. Android isn't known for its software longevity on hardware and I felt that support could be weird on the EC unit. That's why I went NP. Just Android Auto or CarPlay. I hope it will last longer

If you only care about Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto, the Naviplus definitely makes more sense. If you also want to use Android apps on the unit itself, the EC unit is probably the better choice. I wanted the extra flexibility, so I went with EC Offroad.

Of course, I have an older version, but the Naviplus I have goes to Android if you don't have a phone plugged in, so it gives you both options.

Expectations should be kept reasonable. In my observation, none of these aftermarket solutions are simple or easy like the factory solutions for CarPlay or Android Auto. Even basic operation requires awkward prerequisites (bluetooth to stereo off, audio on nav). If anything goes awry, or you want to customize the Android piece, it is reasonably complex. Not the easy plug and play people in the Apple ecosystem are accustomed to. It is definitely doable, but I wouldn't want to give it to my non-technical spouse or an elderly parent.

Of course, I have an older version, but the Naviplus I have goes to Android if you don't have a phone plugged in, so it gives you both options.

Expectations should be kept reasonable. In my observation, none of these aftermarket solutions are simple or easy like the factory solutions for CarPlay or Android Auto. Even basic operation requires awkward prerequisites (bluetooth to stereo off, audio on nav). If anything goes awry, or you want to customize the Android piece, it is reasonably complex. Not the easy plug and play people in the Apple ecosystem are accustomed to. It is definitely doable, but I wouldn't want to give it to my non-technical spouse or an elderly parent.
That's interesting. I'm not having any major issue with the Android Auto on my newer NP unit. Admittedly, every one l once in awhile the unit can't see AA on my phone. But that's pretty rare and usually a re-plug fixes it. I keep bluetooth phone connected to my factory headunit so phone calls work through the factory system and media audio/GPS works through the NP.

It seems as though your Naviplus is the exception rather than the rule - I don't recall anyone else mentioning general Android access with Naviplus. Some of the prerequisites you're dealing with also seem a bit unusual. For example, with my EC Offroad unit I didn't have to do anything special on the phone like disabling Bluetooth. For all of these solutions, you do need to put the factory head unit into the AUX mode to get sound from them over the factory speakers. But your point about the general complexity and sharing with a non-technical spouse or elderly parent is definitely true. It's relatively easy to hit the wrong steering wheel control and switch the audio away from the correct mode and press & hold Home to switch between factory infotainment and the Android box isn't exactly obvious.

The EC Offroad product that I have is working pretty well for me, but I'm hoping that a more polished solution will come along for the latest 200's series that will replace the entire head unit and display and nicely integrate all of the needed factory functionality (climate controls, settings, etc.) along with Apple CarPlay / Android Auto and (ideally) a native Android device that Playstore apps can be installed on. Essentially a newer version of the "Tesla type" units that's compatible up to the 2021 model year. It sounds like the people in this thread using Naviplus are more or less in the same spot - happy with what they have overall, but the solution isn't perfect.

My Naviplus has stopped working. Holding down the nav button no longer switches tomthe CarPlay screen. I reached out to Naviplus and they dropped this one line reply

Please check LED statute on the each module & dip switch setting

I asked for instructions to do this they sent the installation instructions. Do I need to take apart the dash to do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom